Mareridt

Natural grass fields

I kind of miss natural grass fields in Wurm. It's pretty much impossible to find them anywhere in the game. Trees and bushes take over everything immediately.

Pretty much the only way to get a grass field is to manually create and maintain one. You have to keep cutting down new trees in the area every single day.

Maybe it's just me, but trees regrow way too quickly. At least on Defiance it seems that way.

While I'm cutting down trees I can often see a new tree suddenly appear on a nearby tile. It's ridiculous.

I mean I completely understand that a heavily populated server (especially PvP one) would need a steady supply of wood. But let's be honest, there's only like a dozen of active people on Defiance.

So, here's my suggestion: Maybe the regrowth rate for trees and bushes could be tied to the current (or average) server population in some way?

More people = a little bit faster, less people = a little bit slower.

• Like 2

like the idea but mixed on it. your written out equation sounds fine but unsure without testing.

kinda like some of the suffering in wurm. talked before about how meditation is a perfect grueling grind. dealing with taming nature should be too! plus it encourages you to get that enchanted grass. or use steppe if you hate the chopping.

13 minutes ago, garforl said:

like the idea but mixed on it. your written out equation sounds fine but unsure without testing.

kinda like some of the suffering in wurm. talked before about how meditation is a perfect grueling grind. dealing with taming nature should be too! plus it encourages you to get that enchanted grass. or use steppe if you hate the chopping.

The problem is it's not hard to clear a huge area of land. It's that's within 24h more then 60% comes back with fruit trees and bushes. Hell if it would come back as a walnut forest I wouldn't be mad but trash trees and bushes run rampant and you have to clear it daily.

• Like 1

I like the idea, as I really like large open spaces like desert, steppe and tundra.  Even if natural grass fields became a thing, you know someone would terraform it and plant it full of trees or shrubs. 

I would like to see trees sprout rate decreased slightly and fruit tree and shrub sprout rate decreased around 50%.  Cherry, orange, lemon and apple trees sprout at a ridiculous rate as it stands now.    

• Like 1

Well, yes. Brute force is necessary to keep my “Oakey Doakey Pastures” clean of trees and bushes, I made a perimeter of about 20 tiles around of sand in one side, and steppe on the other.

this also gives me a new ecosystem for animal and resource nodes variety.

The spawn rate of trees is a very easy thing to set under server settings, but I don’t think there is a setting that will make everyone happy.

• Like 1

Would be interesting if some animals ate the bushes, wouldn't it? 

• Like 1

Or add another, less ugly type of lawn on which animals can graze and pack it but like the current, super-ugly lawn, is excluded from sprout disease.

Or just update the existing lawn to something that isn't an eye sore.

Or make the trees only throw sprouts to adjacent tiles, like the grass spread model. So that we can make 1 tile wide separators out of whatever isn't a tree and fits the design.

Trees invasion speed wouldn't be an issue if we could control where we don't want them to spread to and easily identify the excluded tiles in case we want to change them back.

Wide sand banks and other wide separators from existing trees aren't really a solution, it's the workaround we currently use and with little success at that.

• Like 2

I love grassy fields got some on deed and lots  of sand . id also like if we could plant some nodes as decor on deed many looks awesome.

An easier solution would be to look at nature in real life and create the balanced equation from that. The taller, and thus generally thicker, grass in real life is the lesser chance trees and other sapling based rooted plants will spread.

Current Spread Rate = X

Grass Tile height (Short-100, Tall-75, WIld-50) = Y

Effective Spread Rate = X * (Y/100)

By that silly formula, short grass allows normal spread rates, tall grass cuts spread rates by 25%, and Wild height grass cuts spread rates by 50%.

Factor in whatever else WUrm math does and maybe seasonal impact to further increase or reduce spread rates.

Just my 2cents

Edited by Nomadikhan

In fact, everything is much simpler. There is no need to tie this to the number of people and invent formulas. You just need to limit the spread of tree seeds (say 3 tiles). Then the “forest” will not spread randomly over the entire area of the “Great Plains”, but will move gradually from the trees towards the grass.

I can’t say however whether this will not lead to an even greater wave of discontent on the part of the “lumberjacks”, who will miss the forest and not the grass.

I have found that grass will not spawn trees or bushes as long as there are no other trees within 10 tiles or so.  I make a 10 wide steppe or sand border around the edge of the grassland, and destroy all trees and bushes within it.  As long as no-one plants any sprouts inside or within 10 tiles or so, they will not grow back.

If you want to be sure of a permanent grassland, you will need to deed it - along with the 10 wide border - to prevent other players planting trees. 

• Like 1

instead of lowering tree/bush growth, give us a way to only decrease the spread rate of things on a tile-by-tile basis, like we'll "treat" grass tiles so they should stay grass for however many days/weeks/months. Spreading will still be possible, but unlikely on these treated tiles

Use something similar to the water tests for lakes, ponds, etc on grass tiles.

If x number of grass tiles in say a 4x4 area are at Wild, then the area is a Meadow.   Meadows resist trees and bushes sprouting, and spread grass to dirt etc tiles more quickly.

Probably doesn't even need a designation - just count the number of neighbouring grass tiles at Wild.  If it is 4 or more (for instance) no NEW sprouts shooting from existing trees.

A simple fix could be to make trees unable to propagate past fences. I'd love to be able to just fence off a field and not have to worry about trees taking over. I don't think it would be particularly immersion breaking either.

3 hours ago, BarnabySpraggins said:

A simple fix could be to make trees unable to propagate past fences. I'd love to be able to just fence off a field and not have to worry about trees taking over. I don't think it would be particularly immersion breaking either.

Player characters can't pass through fences, and neither can vehicles or mounts.   People will either head along the fence until they find a gate or they will just bash the fence.

Edited by TheTrickster

5 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Player characters can't pass through fences, and neither can vehicles or mounts.   People will either head along the fence until they find a gate or they will just bash the fence.

Players, vehicles, and mounts can pass through woven fences just fine. It would give that fence type extra utility as opposed to being purely decorative as they are now. Curbs too.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 5:29 AM, TheTrickster said:

Wurm needs elephants.

It is the elephant in the room.

• Like 1

how about gardening and new grass state.. maintained..

something like enchanted grass.. have some text .. grass seemed to have been treated by players or creatures in some way..(some wacko with a scythe going around regularly to keep things in "good shape"), or w/e lore you're into...

either way... you need some small mechanic and a way to turn the tile into "new type" which prevents tree/bush spreading over it..

unsure if steppe is protected by tree/bushes(I think it is..), similarly.. nothing really spreads over marsh or moss, etc.. so.. code is there.. you need good reason to get a new exception and a line or 2.. for text examining.. 

reason for low or high maintenance of such areas..

define what and why you need it, see what happens, what other think and if it gets implemented or you're left to turn it all to steppe and move on with your dreams for other things