Ostentatio

Resource Nodes Public Testing

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

More fixes and changes:

Client changes (requires closing of all clients and running the client again):

• All resource node collecting actions (collect, forage, and botanize) are a single key bind in the key bind menu and right-click menus, so you can easily set and use one key bind for all resource node gathering.
  • In the case that an old "forage", "botanize", or "collect" key bind is used, the correct action for the resource node will still be automatically selected and performed. For example, if you use an old "Forage" key bind on a Nightshades node, it will still perform the "Botanize" action instead of failing.

Server changes (will take effect shortly when the test server restarts):

• Since resource node difficulty can vary quite a bit, we've decided the player should be able to estimate it in some way. Using "Lore" on a resource node will now give a rough estimate of how much higher or lower the base difficulty will be compared to your skill:
    • Within 10 points of your skill: "Marginally easy/hard"
    • Within 10-30 points of your skill: "Somewhat easy/hard"
    • Within 30-50 points of your skill: "Very easy/hard"
    • Within 50-70 points of your skill: "Extremely easy/hard"
    • Over 70 points from your skill: "Extraordinarily easy/hard"
    • "Somewhat easy" is roughly the ideal range if you want to maximize your chance of getting skill.
    • Some items from certain resource nodes may still have difficulty higher or lower than this estimate.
  • Lingonberry sprouts have been removed from another resource node where they were still possible.
  • Log weight is now randomized somewhat, and will not always be maximum weight.
  • Fruit tree logs are now possible in addition to other wood types, and are lighter than other logs, with a maximum weight of 5.6kg (same as cutting an overaged fruit tree).
  • Bush wood types have been removed as possible materials for branches, shafts, and wood scrap.

I'm so hyped for this whole thing in general, but really impressed so far with the responsiveness to the feedback you've been getting. The single hotkey for each, estimates on difficulty, and more are really, really great to see. Admittedly, I'm a little disappointed to see snow foraging on mountaintops likely just yielding 1 snowball (instead of being rarer but yielding more), but these changes are all really great. I'm also super excited about metal lumps and logs, and sincerely hope we don't see the disappearance of uncommon higher quality metals. 

Would branches used to make crude tools have a specific node or can still just find them in trees and bush tiles? What if those tiles don't have a node on them would one be able to look for a branch?

Branches

[09:14:04] From most to least likely, you could find any of the following by foraging here: Red mushrooms, brown mushrooms, moss, blue mushrooms, low quality branches, low quality tree sprouts, very low quality logs, and low quality seedlings.

[09:14:38] You start to forage in the rotting wood.

[09:15:30] A one step long wooden branch that could be used to create a shaft. It is made from orangewood.

Was a node on a lemon tree tile.

Nice really if we want a branch at least we can see which node will likely have one, instead of checking 30 tiles or whatever to get one.

There are other nodes that give branches.

Edited by Hailiah

Ive tested it at 90 skill to see whats possible to get.

Ive tested it at 50ish skill cos thats what im at on the live servers.

Im now testing it at 1 skill to see what a newbie would get.

Ive got cotton, veggies, herbs, sprouts, some out of season stuff, seems good.

Could definitly cook and start a small farm off it.

[10:00:21] You drop one hazelnuts, two sprouts, two cotton, one cherries, one blue grapes, two lovage, one sage, three potatoes, one onion, one garlic, two oregano, four parsley, two camellia flowers, one basil, six reed plants, three lavender flowers, one thyme, one rose flowers, two rice, seven blueberries, six fennel plant, one raspberries, five carrots, one cabbage, four bunches of kelp, one cumin, three bouquets of purple flowers, one turmeric and one woad.

Working along the mostly coastal nodes.

[10:28:08] You drop one camellia flower, one parsley, 16 reed plants, eight rice, two rose flowers, one rosemary, one raspberries, one blueberries, two bunches of mixed grass, five cotton, four bunches of kelp, two bouquets of purple flowers, one bouquet of blue flowers, two barley and two oats.

Plenty more cotton and a few grains that can be planted. Rice, Kelp, for cooking, reed plants low ql but can use to plant more or use the seeds as animal fodder. Seems ok.

[10:26:43] Botanizing increased by 0.1370 to 10.4283

[10:18:10] Foraging increased by 0.3861 to 4.6807

Skills going up nicely.

Got a couple of rare roll coins and [10:57:49] Some crimson roses, a token of eternal love. This is a very rare and interesting version of the item.

So that works.

Managed to get materials to make crude tools easily enough.

[11:30:18] Botanizing increased by 0.0774 to 16.2191

[11:32:06] Foraging increased by 0.1343 to 10.4350

Got to over 10 in each fairly quickly (Dunno if test has that set differently tho)

Getting blue grapes, how are grapes being done is that still sticking to the north/south line?

Will the new nodes be affected by the Fo tree or Fo Sampo?

I like what the Briar patch does to those with low skill.

I think grinding forage/bot is still possible and easier because you can see the nodes and quiet areas will get more an more nodes over time.

Will inland lakes get the same nodes as coastal ones?

Edited by Hailiah
addition

this does not look like it's improvement to the mechanics and the game experience when it involves a lot more effort and loot is the same, on top we get diluted even more random loot, and add way more time to get same results

loot nodes in steppe seem op vs other places, flat mountains aren't exactly common normally to gather resources from such, it's cool to find moss from lichen for new players or somebody who needs it, etc.. but else pretty useless;

KYEIZs5.jpeg

Tried a bunch of nodes, QL20 sealed bottle gives ql81 2kg rum.

6-8 nodes of these on steppe if they are visible and forageable, might be comparable to old forage/botanize 9-18 tiles to cook a meal with old system;

still.. new system involves more time to travel and find right nodes or we're stuck with useless loot in bulk to loot and toss, since shrooms, berries, spices aren't useful in simple meals;

randomly common flowers get into the loot-table.. which means now finding these will be incredibly hard and uncommon, near impossible to find the rarest types with the new system, so far I think rarest loot I found was the rum bottle and 81ql gem

overall - we end up having a lot less nodes to gather from and we get a bigger loot table with diluted loot, most of the items are useless for direct use, even if they are "focused" it's mostly a buzzword naming vs what we get really, 

rock-ish .. nodes will spam inventory with rock shards and clay; sea nodes(water/beach) spam wemp/kelp/clay/rice, low tier use cases for these, on top... ONE skill ends up offering results from variety to all other skills for gathering; 

bushes turn into odd balls as new nodes are somewhat similar on top small growth kind of models.. but we interact with bushes in a different manner and we require sickle to harvest from old bushes, new system with for/bot requires no tools but offers same loot, even out of season with certain berries/fruits/nuts;

Would it be possible to have plant based nodes grow onto adjacent tiles if they're unharvested for some time? This would aim to provide condensed patches of nodes out in the wild that reward players for exploring for them, rather than foraging the same area just outside of their deed every week.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hailiah said:

Getting blue grapes, how are grapes being done is that still sticking to the north/south line?

Will the new nodes be affected by the Fo tree or Fo Sampo?

I like what the Briar patch does to those with low skill.

I think grinding forage/bot is still possible and easier because you can see the nodes and quiet areas will get more an more nodes over time.

Will inland lakes get the same nodes as coastal ones?

Grape types are still divided geographically the same as always, yeah.

Holy sites don't have any impact on them right now, and all water is essentially treated the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

randomly common flowers get into the loot-table.. which means now finding these will be incredibly hard and uncommon, near impossible to find the rarest types with the new system, so far I think rarest loot I found was the rum bottle and 81ql gem

I'm not really sure I understand the comment about flowers. Flowers aren't available in the old foraging system at all, and in the new system they are only available from a small number of resource node types. Flowers should be easier to find now, not harder.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

even if they are "focused" it's mostly a buzzword naming vs what we get really, 

rock-ish .. nodes will spam inventory with rock shards and clay

Which resource nodes are giving you unwanted rock shards and clay?

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

loot nodes in steppe seem op vs other places,

In what way?

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

this does not look like it's improvement to the mechanics and the game experience when it involves a lot more effort and loot is the same, on top we get diluted even more random loot

Loot from the new system is drastically different from the old system, and is not any more random. The old foraging and botanizing item lists were significantly larger than the item lists from any individual resource node.

Will the old foraging and botanizing be removed or is this in addition to?

1 minute ago, Skullripz said:

Will the old foraging and botanizing be removed or is this in addition to?

removed

Keep old system but add the node look for fun ..change up .

Starting from skill lvl 1 to 10 took me 1 hour on test  , it was that hard to find nodes .

And that was for botonize only  , forage was at 6 skill .

For skill lvl 10 it took me 39 seconds on a 4 item Bot note .

So i figure you gain extra 1 second less per 10 skill point would need to set skill at 10 /20/30 like for true test .

Desert weed should give cactus sap , prickly pear or such items , not oats or rye .

I prefer the old system for harvesting since you could tag the square and not need to do the plant itself .

I failed a couple of moi also do to low skill lvl under 10 skill .

The node looks are a nice change  ...

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

rock-ish .. nodes will spam inventory with rock shards and clay;

I like that means if you want a few lumps of clay and/or shards, you can get them, when not close to a clay tile or rock tile.

Good for say making an altar in the middle of nowhere ie at rift or holy site or for making a forge or oven.

Good also for skilling in the middle of nowhere, make up some clay items, for example.

Will also work with some missions, say if your planning to stay at a holy site for a week or whatever and a clay item mission comes up, can grab some clay locally from nodes rather than peering at a map dump to figure out where the nearest clay is.

Edited by Hailiah

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

sea nodes(water/beach) spam wemp/kelp/clay/rice,  

I like this too, it's another way to get some of these items based on a different skill, gives more options, more variety.

The northern servers are sadly short on Kelp tiles and this will nicely address that issue, same with reeds that the sea nodes provide.

The sea node that provides the 'spoiler' stuff is really nice imo.

• Like 2

• The village settings window now has an option to prevent resource nodes from spawning within your settlement, as long as at least one spirit templar is hired.

Will this mean this option for deed is behind paywall or is this just for the test server and becomes option without having to pay for spirit templar in live server?

3 hours ago, Ame said:

• The village settings window now has an option to prevent resource nodes from spawning within your settlement, as long as at least one spirit templar is hired.

Will this mean this option for deed is behind paywall or is this just for the test server and becomes option without having to pay for spirit templar in live server?

Given that spirit templars aren't needed these days for keeping lamps fuelled between ondeed lamps simply staying lit, and blessed lamps offdeed staying lit too on pavement, and that the dangerous mobs don't spawn on PvE maps, at least they're finally giving spirit janitors some useful attribute. 

I am curious though, will these nodes spawn on paved areas/reinforced & paved cave tiles?

- Looks like yes, stone brick paths so far anyway. 

I've started documenting nodes.

Edited by Arronicus

13 hours ago, Hailiah said:

[10:26:43] Botanizing increased by 0.1370 to 10.4283

[10:18:10] Foraging increased by 0.3861 to 4.6807

Skills going up nicely.

Can only hope that it is no dumbing down as was done with beverages during the coffee/tea introduction.

Edit: Checked my Skills and dump files, the increase looks normal.

Edited by Ekcin

1 hour ago, Hailiah said:

Yeah they spawn in caves, saw some in the tunnel on test.

But in a regular cave, or in a cave with reinforced and paved floor? 

36 minutes ago, Arronicus said:

Reinforced road cateyed tunnel, iirc

Didnt go into any normal mines.

Edited by Hailiah

5 hours ago, Arronicus said:

I can confirm they can spawn on pretty much any cave floor type. When in doubt, you can use the Lore action to check any tiles you can get to.

There are very, very few tile types, if any, that will not spawn resource nodes at all (like solid cave tiles, of course). Some only spawn an extremely limited set of them, though, or only spawn them very rarely.

• Like 2

It would be nice if this feature could be used to enhance the current system rather than flat replacing it, we don't have to take things away to have new toys just as I don't have to set fire to my closet the next time I want to buy a new shirt. The nodes look cool and add flavour to game play but unless they are spawning on every tile it is taking away time which is often more valuable than money.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SmeJack said:

but unless they are spawning on every tile it is taking away time which is often more valuable than money.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't think that the primary consideration of skills in wurm should be that their related tasks specifically cater to efficient grinding. Sure, the new resource nodes are a bit spread out, and it can be tricky to find some of them in particular (I've only documented 20 so far, and have yet to find at least the tropical foliage, fairy garden,  swampy puddle, rotting wood, or bog muck) but I think it's a good thing, not bad, that a boring and uninteresting system (foraging and botanizing on every random tile in the hopes of discovering items) is being replaced by a more intuitive system that promotes exploration. I am of the opinion that the quantity of items in the new resource nodes is a little low, but the fact that one can't easily just power-grind it out like they could with the existing foraging/botanizing systems isn't a problem unless you consider wurm's intent to be a grinding simulator where the focus of the player is to get levels as high as possible. Sure, that is a goal many players set for themselves, but that doesn't mean the game ought to, or needs to cater to that playstyle specifically. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SmeJack said:

but unless they are spawning on every tile it is taking away time which is often more valuable than money.

The new nodes are possible on every tile, but remember even with the current system not every tile at the same time can have forage/bot items available.

[11:21:44] This area looks picked clean.

With the new system your getting more from the node.

Edited by Hailiah
  • Like 2