Felthanne

Treasure Map Mapping Tool

Treasure Map Mapping Tool (TMMT)

Current Version: v0.1

Release Date: 01Oct2023

Who: This tool is available for anyone and everyone!

What: This tool allows you to graphically plot all of your maps on a single image and simplifies the traveling salesman problem of optimizing your map completion route.

When: This tool is currently active and is being updated.

Where: The template for the tool is located here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AfKpVx5eBPN6nembS4v_MwQWsPM2rIpZuEpnTaa8aEk/edit?usp=sharing

Why: This tool was created to visually solve and track the locations of multiple maps in a simple way.

Documentation:

@Liahand myself created this tool to easily communicate and track where all of my maps are currently located. This helps when doing streams and just doing casual treasure hunting to optimize my pathing as much as possible.

This is born out of the first tool we made where it just had the locations and not a map attached to it. Once we created the auto-updating portion of the map, we knew we needed to release it to the masses.

Current Limitations:

As of v0.1 currently the following servers are included: Cadence, Harmony, Melody. The remaining servers will be added in a future release.

As of v0.1 currently the background maps are from the 2022 map dumps, when the 2023 map dumps become available, all background maps will be updated.

Tutorial:

Edited by Felthanne
Added tutorial link.
  • Like 8

I have a massive stash of maps from when I was an active player and have never done a single one.  If I get back into the game, I will make this a priority, because I love spreadsheets and mapping!!  If/when I do come back, it will probably be because of this tool :)

Thank you for this!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

I have a massive stash of maps from when I was an active player and have never done a single one.  If I get back into the game, I will make this a priority, because I love spreadsheets and mapping!!  If/when I do come back, it will probably be because of this tool :)

Thank you for this!!

Happy to help!

• Like 1

Played with this on my lunch break and it worked great. Thanks so much for sharing. Got me thinking of how I could use some python scripts to plot shortest routes. 

I appreciate you. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words!

2 minutes ago, Skullripz said:

...Got me thinking of how I could use some python scripts to plot shortest routes. 

As for this, it is something that has been requested, but I am struggling with how to implement it into a Google Sheet - if you want to talk about it let me know.

I write Python for a bunch of data analysis for my day job and have some ideas, but would love to talk it through!

• Like 1

Now we gotta wait for the SFI servers now. There isnt a way for us to add them ourselves, or at least Independence, for now right?

18 minutes ago, Saiyan said:

Now we gotta wait for the SFI servers now. There isnt a way for us to add them ourselves, or at least Independence, for now right?

Not yet, we are working on v0.2, but are trying to quash a couple of bugs first. 

Very nice tool Felthanne. I understand Google Sheet is a spreadsheet tool and not a software developed, but this tool could help a lot of us. Wonder if anyone with some coding knowledge can make an actual software for it. Like mentioned up tracing a shorter or optimal route would be nice.

Surely you have other ideas guys. Keep up the good work!

Seems to be an issue with having multiple maps with the same coordinates, which will happen with tower maps.

But very useful so far, good to actually visualize what I need to do!

LQJWwIL.png

That is an enormously close cluster.

But yes, we are working on that for the next rev.

Any chance you can PM the link to your sheet (viewer mode is fine) so I can see first hand?

Thanks,

Felthanne / Kaufecake, CA

I literally had this thought last night "I wish I could figure out what is close together." Tysm for this!

• Like 1

Does this sort the locations in some way? You mention optimizing the traveling salesman problem which would lead me to believe you're trying to find the shortest travel path to visit all map locations.

I looked on the google sheet and it seems you're:

1. Regex to extract the x and y locations from a yaga map link.
  2. Map those extracted (x, y) points on a scatter plot.
  3. The scatter plot is aligned with an image of the server map so that the points are located on the map correctly.
  4. There are additional data points that don't seem to do anything but I suppose that could change in the future. Seems smart to build in data collection from the start. You're not likely to go back through it a year from now and add more.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, joedobo said:

Does this sort the locations in some way? You mention optimizing the traveling salesman problem which would lead me to believe you're trying to find the shortest travel path to visit all map locations.

Not yet, the current problem is the limitation of Google sheets and macros inside of there.

Eventually, I would love to run a python script to have it model and determine pathing - but that is going to be a "bit" further out. ;)

I think for now, players being able to visually solve that problem is a step in the right direction.

23 hours ago, joedobo said:

I looked on the google sheet and it seems you're:

1. Regex to extract the x and y locations from a yaga map link.
  2. Map those extracted (x, y) points on a scatter plot.
  3. The scatter plot is aligned with an image of the server map so that the points are located on the map correctly.
  4. There are additional data points that don't seem to do anything but I suppose that could change in the future. Seems smart to build in data collection from the start. You're not likely to go back through it a year from now and add more.

Very astute, the intention in the future is to have all of the servers and have the starting villages shown.

Some of the frame work for v0.2 was included in the released v0.1 - we just haven't finalized it and aligned everything.

I envision  a leaflet map client side. Server side is python data processing.
Do a weighted path find. The weights would be derived from what I'll call a topography-line density map. If we count the number of black pixels in a given area, we can estimate a slope. So, lots of black pixels, avoid this area. There is also the routs map that has the bright green highways. A bright green pixel could sever as a flag to priority pixel groups. 

Once the server has an order list of treasure map location it can send that to the client leaflet map as a lay or pins.

Bug: Having multiple active maps with the exact same tracking location breaks the coordinate data sheet generated #REF for map number for both the maps with the identical coordinate result. (I have 2 maps at the exact same guard tower)

A map entry is generated, but it is labelled #REF!

ErrorArray result was not expanded because it would overwrite data in N22.

Also, is there any way to expand the map? I'm on 1440p with fairly large monitors, and the map itself is fairly small for me. Here for example, the map numbers are entirely unreadable, and I can't figure out any way to distinguish between them?

WiUOYqu.png

Thank you for all this work!

Edited by Arronicus
please visit I'm so lonely

Never thought of using the grid functionality like that, that's really cool. Great tool, thanks for sharing

So what is the current status of this map? Last update was october sounds very interesting?

After I get done with my finals - and get everything graded - I will work on updating it. RL is kinda tiresome right now.