Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Exciting Changes & Announcements for Wurm Online

1 hour ago, user said:

Yeah reading back I do not see anyone say it should be the focus of the rebranding just to give it some attention lol maybe if I miss something I apologize, lots of replies lots of hype and opinions.

“WHAT HE SAID he will take a look at PVP??????? What about PVE that gets an update almost monthly!!! 😡😡😡😡😡.”

how dare they try to expand on a market that could use a larger player base…. Shame shame shame shame 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DemonaNightshade said:

For those of you worried about the silver shop, it's pretty much just what the traders have offered the last few years. A few bundle deals for multiple Sleep Powder, Shakers, etc have been added and a couple of decorative items for fun. The skins portion will have previously released skins available, and a couple of marks things are moving into the shop as well to give players the option of silver instead of marks for purchasing. For example, you can purchase a meditation path switch or faith swap with silvers rather than buying a year worth of premium to get those things (like some of us with premium until 2030 from doing that exact thing 😛 )

Sounds good however i hope the shop will be maintained, love to see new decorative items been added over time, 

• Like 2

@Krister

You have a real gem of a game here, but it just doesn't shine bright enough for the world to see.  Each new campaign, we get a big (for us) influx of new players, but they quickly fade away.  We are left with generally the same group of core players, that have been around for many years.  This game is funded by old players that throw money at multiple deeds and multiple accounts.  I believe many of the development staff are part of that group.  This makes development somewhat focused on the needs of us old players, to retain our interest.  When big exciting updates to the game happen, many old players return to try the new features/content, but how many new players are enticed by a new feature to a game that didn't interest them in the first place?

If you want to make this game a real success, you need some fundamental changes.  I would say the first one needs to be the visual appeal.  We have such tired old graphics that only veteran players are see the beauty of Wurm these days.  The old saying of "you can't judge a book by it's cover", does not help get new players.  We all judge when scrolling through a list of 10,000 games to find something new to play.  Just make Wurm 2.0.  Stop trying to keep 1.0 relevant. 1.0 players will keep playing till the servers are turned off, because they have so much already invested.  So go make a 2.0 with better graphics, better combat, better house building.  Better able to handle large numbers of players, creatures and buildings without crashing.

Make a game that doesn't require 500 players to each have 10 active alts and 10 active deeds to keep money flowing in the game.  I generally spend around $2000 a year on this game and have been at it for over a decade.  I could buy a new car with that money.  But I realized a while ago that there was no reason to continue.  There is no vision for a future Wurm that isn't just more of the same, plus a few little add-ons to desperately hold old players from walking away for good.

Do something BIG!  Don't just keep stringing everyone on with  few little changes.  Could you imagine a car manufacturer just selling the same car for two decades and only changing a few features on the dashboard?  Maybe add another radio station preset button?  Keep selling it for the same price as new model cars from the competition?  It's why nobody buys this car.

I may sound like a bit of an angry Wurm player, but I'm not.  I have so much love for this game.  I'm just very disappointed that in all the years and cash I invested in this game, it never went anywhere, other than adding complexity, which gives people more things to grind.  I can go outside and rub two rocks together for 10 hours a day if I just want to grind.

I know this comment is pretty far down the line and likely not to be read at this point, but I haven't been in forums for a long time, now that I don't play anymore.  I do with you the best and pray to Nahjo that you find a way to make Wurm relevant again.

-Wurmhole

• Like 5

I used to play Wurm Unlimited also awhile ago and on one of the servers they had contracts where you made so many of a certain item for a reward. I think this would be a good feature in Wurm Online also, maybe you make so much of something and drop it off at a certain destination and you get something for it, deed tokens or a few silver. This also helps with new players increasing certain skills as you make so much of an item. The items alternative say every month.

I'd also love if they improved the way bushes and trees look, the rose bush for example is nothing like a rose, just blobs of red dots on thin stick. The weather is another that could be improved, like when it is snowing make the snow come down thick from the sky instead of little dots same with rain etc. I hope they improve it a lot, been a long time coming I guess only time will tell though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DannyUK said:

I used to play Wurm Unlimited also awhile ago and on one of the servers they had contracts where you made so many of a certain item for a reward. I think this would be a good feature in Wurm Online also, maybe you make so much of something and drop it off at a certain destination and you get something for it, deed tokens or a few silver. This also helps with new players increasing certain skills as you make so much of an item. The items alternative say every month.

I'd also love if they improved the way bushes and trees look, the rose bush for example is nothing like a rose, just blobs of red dots on thin stick. The weather is another that could be improved, like when it is snowing make the snow come down thick from the sky instead of little dots same with rain etc. I hope they improve it a lot, been a long time coming I guess only time will tell though.

We have this already in the form of missions.

8 hours ago, SweetSerenade said:

But missions are copy/paste content.. it's a port of epic's system which does not at all fit well in pve, for pvp there might be better optimization to match the playstyle/s.

It's a common report to see "oh mission for 500 ql30 boots is insane for <random small server with 20 people playing>", yes.. yet that is what you get with random number generation quest system.

Then there's the problem how much specific other missions are rewarded compared to other and fairness and balance of the rewards, effort, also chance to get in missions, there are a few well known and ridiculous to exist problems.

Missions do need some kind of polishing to account the "wogic" which plagues them, and some rebalancing or flavor to make them not be a frown ticket system..

tl;dr there are quick and easy missions, several happen, somebody could burn through them all and farm sb/karma/do journal goal for missions, we all do some of these as a target, but this eventually leads to tough and undoable missions which sometimes can take a week or longer to close on their own and there's nothing to be done to skip the waiting, in this time there's nothing to do along this content; miss your opportunity on the easy missions and you're in for some dry sb run and boredom.

As to @DannyUKI'm assuming he meant generating silver or w/e WU server currency through making 40 spindles, 5 chairs, 8 small wheels and bringing 3 potatoes to npc to get either free upkeep or currency to trade for something(upkeep/items/silver directly?/..)

Such system could be cool to have here(not for silver but any other kind of reward for activity).. could give the less-social something to do, in addition.. even if you claim to be social butterfly.. and you see npc to trade you rare furniture skin or recipe or unfinished unique item to create at the cost of some of your time and creation or doing a few actions by some specification, you'll probably do it and not think twice, right.

Edited by Finnn

4 hours ago, SweetSerenade said:

Yeah that's not the same though, that is making 1 item and put it in the altar. I'm talking about making a certain amount of things and dropping it off at a location maybe not even on the same server. Doing missions takes you seconds and doesn't raise your skill level if you are making a certain item.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

But missions are copy/paste content.. it's a port of epic's system which does not at all fit well in pve, for pvp there might be better optimization to match the playstyle/s.

It's a common report to see "oh mission for 500 ql30 boots is insane for <random small server with 20 people playing>", yes.. yet that is what you get with random number generation quest system.

Then there's the problem how much specific other missions are rewarded compared to other and fairness and balance of the rewards, effort, also chance to get in missions, there are a few well known and ridiculous to exist problems.

Missions do need some kind of polishing to account the "wogic" which plagues them, and some rebalancing or flavor to make them not be a frown ticket system..

tl;dr there are quick and easy missions, several happen, somebody could burn through them all and farm sb/karma/do journal goal for missions, we all do some of these as a target, but this eventually leads to tough and undoable missions which sometimes can take a week or longer to close on their own and there's nothing to be done to skip the waiting, in this time there's nothing to do along this content; miss you opportunity on the easy missions and you're in for some dry sb run and boredom.

As to @DannyUKI'm assuming he meant generating silver or w/e WU server currency through making 40 spindles, 5 chairs, 8 small wheels and bringing 3 potatoes to npc to get either free upkeep or currency to trade for something(upkeep/items/silver directly?/..)

Such system could be cool to have here(not for silver but any other kind of reward for activity).. could give the less-social something to do, in addition.. even if you claim to be social butterfly.. and you see npc to trade you rare furniture skin or recipe or unfinished unique item to create at the cost of some of your time and creation or doing a few actions by some specification, you'll probably do it and not think twice, right.

Yes, well they have this in Unlimited, they give you a contract for everyone to do and a set time to drop it off somewhere into a bsb or whatever. In Unlimited you get points for each contract you complete and you can spend those points in the store for statues, magic chest and a lot of other things. I guess what you get in Wurm Online for doing these contracts would have to be worked out but it is a good idea especially for new players.

If the new players engaged in doing those contracts it raises their skill level for making a set amount of each item. I think it was a few thousand items you made in Unlimited every month for each contract. 

30 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

Yes, well they have this in Unlimited, they give you a contract for everyone to do and a set time to drop it off somewhere into a bsb or whatever. In Unlimited you get points for each contract you complete and you can spend those points in the store for statues, magic chest and a lot of other things. I guess what you get in Wurm Online for doing these contracts would have to be worked out but it is a good idea especially for new players.

If the new players engaged in doing those contracts it raises their skill level for making a set amount of each item. I think it was a few thousand items you made in Unlimited every month for each contract. 

similar suggestion was raised here as player-made-missions/contracts, I think it was this one, dead on it's spot as suggestion:

10 minutes ago, Finnn said:

similar suggestion was raised here as player-made-missions/contracts, I think it was this one, dead on it's spot as suggestion:

Just read it and yes indeed, I don't know why it wasn't added a long time ago to be honest. There is a lot of good ideas in Unlimited that they could implement. The taxidermy was another as a form of decoration around your deeds. 

Many ideas should be taken from Wurm Unlimited work.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

to be honest who would use this? seems like waste of devolepment, maybe something thats cool for 2 days but who would travel to other deed and kill x amount of creatures or make x amount of bulk items unless the rweards are really good. could be cool at impalong events or if you have a large villages, which most dont.

I rather prefer them using time to improve the mission system they have.

• Cat 1

59 minutes ago, Stinboi said:

to be honest who would use this? seems like waste of devolepment, maybe something thats cool for 2 days but who would travel to other deed and kill x amount of creatures or make x amount of bulk items unless the rweards are really good. could be cool at impalong events or if you have a large villages, which most dont.

think of it as your personal chatgpt/read "assistant"/.. you tell it to give orders to people and process them, you can ask people to make & deliver to you on their own 40,000 bricks, and you give them silver for the delivery of 40,000 bricks;

flexibility...

expand it however you like, it's a mini auction

once, made, on a higher scale you can later create actual "search" for offers from such on same or different servers and process them in various ways, depends how devs do or do not decide to spin this around and if it's taken as + or - as concept and functionality

Edited by Finnn

14 minutes ago, Finnn said:

think of it as your personal chatgpt/read "assistant"/.. you tell it to give orders to people and process them, you can ask people to make & deliver to you on their own 40,000 bricks, and you give them silver for the delivery of 40,000 bricks;

flexibility...

expand it however you like, it's a mini auction

Looks like we don't need npc/quest like system (go to X, kill Y and collect Z), but we need in game transparent market tool (without dependency on forum or trade chat)  for trading where people can post offers/requests for such type of things. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ringhai said:

Looks like we don't need npc/quest like system (go to X, kill Y and collect Z), but we need in game transparent market tool (without dependency on forum or trade chat)  for trading where people can post offers/requests for such type of things. 

I suggested a start idea to improve trading without breaking Wurm Online specificities and with (i think) not huge dev work (feel free to react!)

Edited by Syhl

3 minutes ago, Syhl said:

I suggested a start idea to improve trading without breaking Wurm Online specificities and with (i think) not huge dev work (feel free to react!)

auction was so far always a hated implementation

17 minutes ago, Finnn said:

auction was so far always a hated implementation

I think you didn't read properly my thread

EDIT: Part of the thread explicitely say it

7e4fadefc2f25a9887b440019d577fe8.png

Edited by Syhl

Now that would be a great feature to have, especially in SFI where the players are spread quite thinly. Right now if I want to buy something I wont even bother with merchants since it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, you're better of just spamming WTB in trade chat or making a WTB forum post. Even visiting a marketplace or two isn't a guarantee you'll find something of interest, or that the marketplace you knew even still exists. Just knowing where I need to travel to, in order to find a merchant which sells something I want, would be a big help.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 2

Re-introducing Jackal and or other seasonal servers would help a TON in bringing back players. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Stinboi said:

Well that's the thing, the rewards would have to be worth the effort to do them. Why would people do this? They all do it already on Unlimited as i've stated 1.it grinds your skill as you're having to make these items instead of just grinding the skill for the sake of it which can be boring. and 2. you get a good reward out of it.

If they add more items to the game to buy which is sounds like they are doing going forward then there will be plenty of things to spend tokens/points on as a reward. Many in unlimited just build them up over the months and buy the best items, magic chests for example.

Time for Wurm 2.0

New code base, new engines, better graphics, fewer glitches and kluges.  More stable, more capable.  

Bring Unlimited back into the fold while you are at it, and leverage the HUGE amount of content and mechanic development that has gone on there (e.g. optional player classes that have their own unique gameplay mechanics).  This is a way to reward and encourage the modders and even the Unlimited players who love the game but find Online kind of hopeless (using that word in its proper sense).

That's one hell of a shuffle - and one that wasn't expected.

Wurm has a lot of "unfinished" content (rifts, holy sites, and the priest overhaul), a lot of buggy content (wurm is a pile of bugs that somehow comes together into a game), and a lot of content nobody wanted (looking at you catch-up decay and meditation RNG).

Pay-2-Win we already have too much of, and I rather hope you'll rule that out.  Indeed, if you want a huge influx of players, consider a better free player model as the current one is only really fit for hardcore survival challenges.

• Like 2

I would be interested in a contract system to courier bulk items by ship from one server to another or by wagon on same server.  Ship transport has been tried on NFI a few times, but it was solely on trust and as a result, it failed.  Wagoners are nice, but something like this could give some players another career path and more player interaction.  I loved being a contract courier in EvE and would love to see something like this in the future for Wurm. 

Also, a contract page that advertised bulk items from players would also be interesting.  A different type of container for contract items, much like wagoner container, to keep items for being locked by players deeds or perms.  Something like this would save players constantly advertising "WTB 10k stone bricks" on trade chat, for example.