Sign in to follow this  
MarkBuko

Place Items on Tables

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I want to suggest it anyway.

It would be really nice to be able to place certain items on a table. Last month during valentines, I thought it would be a really nice touch to be able to place the valentines pottery along with a note on a table for my girlfriend. However, we just have to put everything on the ground.

Perhaps only certain items could be put on tables. Food items, notes, pens, pottery, and utensils to name a few.

A suggestion for the mechanic could be to treat a table like a container, but when you put something "in" the container, it appears on top of the table.

This would enhance players' ability to decorate as well as enhancing how immersive the game is. Imagine inviting some friends over to your place and setting meals out on the table. You could all sit down to eat together. Or imagine the enhanced immersive feeling of sitting down at a table with a pen and parchment to write a note. Perhaps this is a not a game changing feature, but like the ability to sit, it makes the world of Wurm feel more real.

And perhaps this could be carried beyond just aesthetics. Perhaps sitting in a chair and inscribing a parchment that is placed on a table could give a small bonus on the amount of characters possible for that note. Perhaps sitting in a chair and eating a meal that is placed on a table gives a bit more nutrition than usual.

• Like 9

I'm sure it's been suggested a billion times, but I couldn't agree more. Furniture objects in general should have surface heights you can put things on, whether it's a table, a bench, or whatever else.

+1, except it's probably not a good idea to solve this by making the table a container (as in 'never invite more then 2 other people to dine with you, else all you will all have to eat from is a pile of dishes/plates on top of each other in the centre of the table' ;) )

Well, instead of creating the billionth and one thread, I will bump and add to that one (or in other words, sorry for the necro)

On 3/14/2016 at 2:17 AM, Kianga said:

+1, except it's probably not a good idea to solve this by making the table a container (as in 'never invite more then 2 other people to dine with you, else all you will all have to eat from is a pile of dishes/plates on top of each other in the centre of the table' ;) )

From what I see from similar threads, most people tie item placement on top of a table as a collision problem. I have no access on the game's code but I think that it can be solved with the functionalities already in game. Let me explain.

Right now when I drop something down, it becomes visible at different heights depending on the height and type of floor. For example, dropping something on a paved tile is displayed on a different height than if I drop it on a wooden floor. So the game keeps a <display height> variable. Well, if I put an item on a table container, simply add the table height to the display height and show it to us. What I'm saying is simply float the item at the table's height. When I move the table container, I also move all the item in/on it at the same direction.

You can also add invisible boundaries (like walls do) restricting items movements. So that way, I can push, pull and rotate an item on the table surface only and not away from it.

Finally put the same kind of restrictions you use in chests to limit the kind and size of items you can put in the table container.

Edited by Erlindur

On 3/13/2016 at 7:50 PM, MarkBuko said:

.... Perhaps sitting in a chair and eating a meal that is placed on a table gives a bit more nutrition than usual.

+1

That's an interesting idea B)

I'm a savage tho, I like eating hot meals from the forge/campfire/hotas if both could coexist and give better nutrition, I'd like that to be added, altho.. I cant really see how meals can't be heated in the oven, put on plates and served hot on the table to get more nutrition.. there's more RP and immersion in that, except the plates part..(not sure if clay bowls cool-down the meals like  cauldrons/etc... cooled containers)

For the main part, having the tables as containers could solve the placement of the actual items on the table, with replacing the model/texture of the table even if it'd offer only 2-3 different styles for a few food/flower/etc-decorative presets, lets not hope for anything too complex and wild.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:50 PM, MarkBuko said:

It would be really nice to be able to place certain items on a table. Last month during valentines, I thought it would be a really nice touch to be able to place the valentines pottery along with a note on a table for my girlfriend. However, we just have to put everything on the ground.

Indeed! No doubt the romantic mood is both despoiled and soiled by just putting these items on the crude floors of Wurm. Even with no ability to sweep the floors it must be all that much worse. A heartless Valentine's gift to be so crudely displayed, yet such are the Wurm's lack of table placement and manners.

=Ayes=

+1

On 9/18/2016 at 3:20 PM, Retrograde said:

This is a project in the works with Warlander, no ETA though

This is great news.