Sign in to follow this  
Druidnature

Allow all priest to do Alchemy

Well, I'm sure a lot of people know of my issue with alchemy in this game.

When I think of alchemy, I see it as being a priest skill, maybe even something that they should need to raise some skills, it's, in my mind, more of a priest then a none-priest ability. (Though I never want to see it limited either!)

Currently, only Fo can do this, they would indeed need compensation, if anyone has any ideas for that, I'd love to hear them. - possibly a boost to what they make alchemy wise would sound like a great, nature related idea to me, but I'll let those that it effects more then me suggest here.

I don't believe this would make any of the priest obtaining it "better" or stronger, the biggest effect I can think of is healing covers, which (again) sounds to me like a priesty-like thing, and I don't see them being "overpowerd" in any situtation. I'm welcome to hearing any arguments against that though, or situtations where it could be overpowerd. I can't see this as the case though considering we can use them, just not make them.

I can't exactly make a logical reason a mag priest would use alchemy (not saying he shouldn't!!!) other then in general, alchemy is closely related to priest/Druids/clerics/shamans.

Libila is simple, poisen (yes, that's alchemy to!) though we have none in game at the time being, it makes a lot of sense that Libila would be making poison with alchemy, and the occasional healing likely to for allies.

Vynora is the goddess of wisdom, alchemy is a..."experiment" and fits into what I'd say Vynora would be into. She's probably the second (arguably first) priest is think of in-game for alchemy, being the goddess of knowledge/wisdom.

Now, if this isn't a bit "game changer" or truly benefiting priest in general, or myself, why am I asking for it?

Simple, if you've ever wanted to really "be" a priest on wurm, you'll notice you can't even Roleplay a priest... There's just so many stupid barriers in the way, that make no sense - alchemy being only one of them.

I'd enjoy being able to do alchemy on my priest for the RP, and because it's one of my favorite skills, that I'm unable to enjoy on the main character I'd like to do it on.

So, if anyone has any disagrees or thinks that would need to be fleshed out before this ever came into existence, please post below. If you also have a idea on what to give Fo for compensation, throw out the idea!

Keep on brewing!

• Like 1

great idea,lets make it so non priest can collapse and cast curier too.

They need to move concrete out of Alchemy and into Masonry but that's beside the point and off topic. Even though I have a mag, I don't see mag as being much of a healing cover maker role. Maybe they can make black powder to remove stone tiles. That would fit them better for an alchemyish role but I doubt it would ever be added unless we get cannons. Plus it could be funny to blow yourself to bits. It's better than suffocating maybe? :-P I wouldn't mind at all Mags not making covers but Vyn would benefit from it for the reason you said. I also like the Lib poison idea. That would fit them perfectly. Having the priests do the blood potions would definitely make sense.

• Like 1

great idea,lets make it so non priest can collapse and cast curier too.

The point is that it's a multiplayer game.

They need to move concrete out of Alchemy and into Masonry but that's beside the point and off topic. Even though I have a mag, I don't see mag as being much of a healing cover maker role. Maybe they can make black powder to remove stone tiles. That would fit them better for an alchemyish role but I doubt it would ever be added unless we get cannons. Plus it could be funny to blow yourself to bits. It's better than suffocating maybe? :-P I wouldn't mind at all Mags not making covers but Vyn would benefit from it for the reason you said. I also like the Lib poison idea. That would fit them perfectly. Having the priests do the blood potions would definitely make sense.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a "Ton" about mag, but I do like the explosive idea.

I - could - see him using healing covers, if I'm not completely mistaken, mag is a battle type God, more then mining. On the battlefield a priest of Magranon, to me (and I'm biased in the way I see priest) would be healing the injured from the battle, while in the front lines wrecking the enemy at the same time. (Though Fo holds that roll, so sorry mag!)

I don't see much reason to limit them in healing covers (heck, they can already use them) I don't see it as game changing being able to create them though.

But seriously, if we could get some explosives...

Party in the mines! :P

The point is that it's a multiplayer game.

and my point is that this is ridiculous,its removing priests limitations 1 at a time until soon they will just be the same as non priest

Removing the tiny limitations (which aren't even really deterring priests) to make priests more playable is a good thing. The number one limitation to priests is no crafting (imping) and that more than anything else makes them fundamentally different from non-priests. The rest is nonsense RP crap and foolish attempts to balance pvp power using non-pvp abilities (which is like trying to pick balanced teams for a football match by making sure each side has two people good at cooking).

Priests should be able to do everything non-priests can except improve items. Balance their pvp capabilities with pvp effects (like the armor limitations etc) 

• Like 4

I've said it once I've said it 100 times.  Priests as they are are not mainable without alt support.

Allowing all priests to use alchemy is a nice notion but the payoff for fos would need to be a damn good one...  I honestly can't think of a balance though some of the ideas on a thread I created a while back might work?  http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/108889-new-priestly-skills-fo-edition/#entry1108210

Really though priests need a LOT of reworking.  As it stands they are just unplayable, plain and simple.  The calls from newer priests to ease up restrictions are many, it's an issue raised monthly at the very least.  Even some of the more experienced priests agree that a change is needed.  Still I suspect any suggestion on reducing the restrictions of priests will go the usual way, I'll just wait for the usual suspects to post their usual replies ;)

Eh makes more sense having it for Vynora. Alchemy was the precursor of Chemistry.

Lilia sure if we ever get poisons.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the only alchemy thing that priests seemingly cannot do is just healing covers (and improving dyes, which falls under, well, imping)

Concrete, salve, base dies, all that stuff priests can make, so allowing healing covers too isn't even a large change

• Like 1

Always did seem odd, can use healing aides but cant make covers. Can do most everything else that doesn't involve imping or continuing. Pretty much just create-only actions, except healing covers.

Although if one wanted to limit priests in that context: Vynora widespread alchemy even imping dies, Fo can mix/apply salves and covers, etc.

Though Id rather see a mix of limits and new openings if such was done. For example Mag priests able to work metal... after all what honors Mag more than fire and metal? coughfireandsandcough

Edited by Klaa

Always did seem odd, can use healing aides but cant make covers. Can do most everything else that doesn't involve imping or continuing. Pretty much just create-only actions, except healing covers.

Although if one wanted to limit priests in that context: Vynora widespread alchemy even imping dies, Fo can mix/apply salves and covers, etc.

Though Id rather see a mix of limits and new openings if such was done. For example Mag priests able to work metal... after all what honors Mag more than fire and metal? coughfireandsandcough

The odd part isn't even that. I mean the only priest that can make healing covers is the only one that won't ever use one after having a bit of decent faith, since they can do it with magic (much more efficiently also).

It sux balls too. I wanted to make some concrete with my mag priest to fix a cave floor, and oops, its a nat subs skill, so he can't do it...

well you don't really need to compensate them for alchemy I mean mag priests were the only one who got archery and now all priests can do it. . . . . and most days its not a issue since I heal tons of damage with basic cotton and I'm vynora - in same instance it seems like allot of stuff you would make as a priest like dyes and such seem odd its against your diety

+1 for alchemy unlock

Seems that alchemy and priests are unrelated, I cant see a reason why the shouldnt be able to use it, or a reason of why they should be able to do it.    Priests are not druids or scientists, their powers are given by specific gods outside of the world itself.   So I dont see how that would grant them any kind of knowledge or predilection for alchemy.

Regarding the suggestion more specifically, +1 to unlocking alchemy, and all skills for priests, while not letting them improve anything.

Seems that alchemy and priests are unrelated, I cant see a reason why the shouldnt be able to use it, or a reason of why they should be able to do it. Priests are not druids or scientists, their powers are given by specific gods outside of the world itself. So I dont see how that would grant them any kind of knowledge or predilection for alchemy.

Regarding the suggestion more specifically, +1 to unlocking alchemy, and all skills for priests, while not letting them improve anything.

Well, where im coming from, priest are usually crafty people, usually they have hobbys like being a artist, sculpting, pottery work, alchemy, carving, ect - anything to "express" themselves, thus why it really doesn't make sense to me. To me (and only me) it would make more sense to encourage priest to do the skills like alchemy, pottery, tailoring (maybe) and any other art/express like work by giving them gains in what they needed. But that won't happen :P

Seems that alchemy and priests are unrelated, I cant see a reason why the shouldnt be able to use it, or a reason of why they should be able to do it.    Priests are not druids or scientists, their powers are given by specific gods outside of the world itself.   So I dont see how that would grant them any kind of knowledge or predilection for alchemy.

I wasn't there for this, but i imagine that there probably was a time where alchemy was only for making Healing Covers, and as such, fo being the diety of healig, they decided he should be the only one able to make HC (which is nonsensical, since exactly because they can already heal magically they will almost never use HCs, but hey... Wurm, right?).

Well, where im coming from, priest are usually crafty people, usually they have hobbys like being a artist, sculpting, pottery work, alchemy, carving, ect - anything to "express" themselves, thus why it really doesn't make sense to me. To me (and only me) it would make more sense to encourage priest to do the skills like alchemy, pottery, tailoring (maybe) and any other art/express like work by giving them gains in what they needed. But that won't happen :P

Monks have all kinds of crafts, monasteries were totally self-sufficient. Medieval priests also had to mostly fend for themselves too. Missionaries (you know the priests that went along with settlers to the "new world" - pretty much what we're doing in Wurm) also had no choice but to fend for themselves.

Basically the priest model in Wurm is based on the concept of the modern catholic priest that receives money from the "Church" and their "Parish" to laze about and celebrate mass on Sundays, and not much else, instead of what would be the actual medieval counterpart.

I do get that they want to restrict priests so that they're kept apart (something that goes against the whole "classless" thing of Wurm, but hey), but this could be made in a myriad of ways without being so restrictive towards priests that they end up just being a useful alt, and a small search on this forum will find several ways to do so.

or just remove all restrictions so we all can cast stuff

Well, three of my mains can cast stuff... Sorcery :)

Well, three of my mains can cast stuff... Sorcery :)

Meditation... Is it really useful what you cast though? I know meditation skills are, or at least most paths have at least a couple useful ones (even though some you need to be freaking mad to get there).