Sign in to follow this  
Magicmike

Xanadu needs sailing speed modifier!

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should Xanadu have increased sailing speeds?

• Yes
    • No

Not only Xanadu, all servers need that.

i voted NO, unless all maps get a speed boost, unless every map can get a speed boost.

I felt I want to kill myself when crossing from exo to pristine three times yesterday.. ten hours total on the sea but I don't see Xanadu have to be entitled with a special wind. Make the world go round I would agree. Make boat speed faster, I'm wondering of the idea, because atm in gale some boats can reach 35-40kmph... which is already so fast that it fly unto mountain and stuck above.

All boats need buffs, it is stupid a horse can go twice the speed of a boat, been sayin it for years.

Voted no based on biased poll, this is needed in general for all sailing, i'm playing wurm online that has sailing as a feature in game, not a sailing simulator that has a terror forming feature.

Minimum sailing speed is just bogus imo as it is now.  seriously 3 guys in a knarr can go faster then 1 guy in a sail?  knarr is a heavy ship compared to a sail boat, particularly a skiff type boat.

Well, that's very mature of you :)

I live on the west coast of Indy it a nice sound to hear coming across the water : )

Who demanded the map? Rolf appeared one day and pretty much said " Hey guys, I got this big freaking map I want to test. "

I'm confused by this as well. This was mentioned in another thread as well. I'm pretty sure when the devs announced a new server, everyone said "Hunting server?" or "Pvp?", not "Woo hoo giant server".

Voted against. Flying mounts will fix problem later.

but Xanadu is simply enormous compared to the other servers and sailing travel times are just unacceptable

You were never forced to go to Xanadu. Before going there you knew about the game mechanics, and hopefully could predict what the "enormous" land will be like in that context.

Stop those threads about changing game mechanics for Xanadu.

Although I agree that something needs to be done about ship speeds and may have mentioned it before ;) I don't think that ship speed should depend on server size because it takes longer to get from border to border, distance is the same no matter what server you are on! By this logic people should also walk and ride faster on larger servers and also that speed should be nerfed on the smaller servers. Xanadu is huge, if you want to travel from border to border it will take time. 

Nope, just treat Xanadu like 4 Inde's in a square and be glad you have all that land and don't need to worry about buggy server crossings.

I'd be in favor of increasing speed for all boats on all servers (just xanadu is no good) but I'd prefer it be part of a couple of changes

• Increase min speed significantly as a function of boat quality
  • Increase max speed a bit as a function of boat quality
  • Make max speed best under strong wind not gales
  • Make gales and light breezes much less common and last less long (for example once per RL week on average and last an hour or two)
  • Make gales minorly damage boats and provide slightly less speed than strong wind.

This would improve the predictable nature of travel to have less extreme variability not the oh ###### a breeze I'm humped issue while you're at sea.  The first two and last one are just to make boat QL semi-meaningful.

Unfortunately all the above is probably a non-starter even if there was general agreement.  Too big a change basically guarantees no change so shrug, tweak em as you will.

Edited by belthize

You're right. This game takes too much time.

We should add flying mounts, instant personal teleports between two points and cut down the duration of ALL actions by 50%. 

You know, make it more instant-gratification-based like every other mass marketed game that I don't play. 

• Like 1

You were never forced to go to Xanadu. Before going there you knew about the game mechanics, and hopefully could predict what the "enormous" land will be like in that context.

Stop those threads about changing game mechanics for Xanadu.

This isn't just about me silly  :P It's about everyone on Xanadu, including the growing army of people that are required to spend an entire day of gameplay, sometimes two, just to travel within the same map. There are some situations where Xanadu-specific mechanics are absolutely viable since it is a very large and very different server. Apparently the devs thought so too since they have changed some game mechanics just for Xanadu.

You're right. This game takes too much time.

We should add flying mounts, instant personal teleports between two points and cut down the duration of ALL actions by 50%. 

You know, make it more instant-gratification-based like every other mass marketed game that I don't play. 

It's funny you mention all of those things because those thing would all increase new player retention  :D

But let's just focus on one thing at a time. Start with increased sailing speeds and then we'll talk about flying mounts and teleports and deathstars and such...

I feel all servers need it, but it doesn't have to be a modifier, just increase the minimum speed to something reasonable on all ships. Sailing is just utterly boring right now, to the point where you might as well watch a movie while the ship moves itself through auto-walking. On that thought, just allow us to plot a course on the in game map and give us an auto pilot -_-

...wat?

Don't tell me you missed the entire jumping and flying mounts Rolf was talking about...