Sign in to follow this  
Bashur

Planning Our City, Could Us Some Advice.

To keep costs to a minimum, you could always do what the goons used to do for their big towns and have a few barracks buildings with a bed and a chest inside. This will cut down how massive you would need your town to be to cater for everybody's house. Unfortunately this is less fun than building your own house. On PvP servers people tend to build a dirt wall of some kind and a long house on top of it as a perimeter defence, I can't remember what features Epic has to limit this, as it's a bit different on Freedom/Chaos iirc.

We did a large main barracks but then everyone got a 3x2 on deed to share with another person as well. Just more walls to break through.

You want to do your token in a doughnut house raised up enough to where people have use the climb function to access it.  If your going to level out out the area then you want to use the extra dirt to raise where the token building will be. 

Try and assign houses to multiple people if possible to keep size down.  Building upwards helps spread things out.

You will also want to make all ground floors with stone.  Everything above that can be wood. 

You will also want to build a small pin for livestock but keep in mind that you can have only so many crammed into an area before disease will afflict them. 

Keep in mind that you will most likely get hit with a raid in so only keep a small amount of money paid into token so just keep enough in there for a month and you wont have worry about loosing a lot money.

Keep in mind that you will most likely get hit with a raid in so only keep a small amount of money paid into token so just keep enough in there for a month and you wont have worry about loosing a lot money.

Drain amount is based on upkeep cost, not upkeep amount... having 50c and having 50s in upkeep makes no difference.

its 15% of the monthly upkeep cost from the upkeep fund/coffers

minimum drain being 75copper 

Edited by Postes

Upkeep draining

On the Wild and Epic servers, citizens of the enemy kingdom can drain your token once all your deed guards are dead. An enemy draining your token will remove 15% of the monthly upkeep cost from the upkeep fund, of which the drainer receives half. Upkeep cost is treated as always being at least 5 silver, which gives a minimum drain of 75 copper (37.5 to the drainer). A drain can occur once every 24 real-time hours. Every time a deed is drained, the drained amount will increase by 50%. This is reset if the deed is not drained for 2 days. Enemies can drain from an adjacent tile and do not need to be on the same tile as the token, even if there is a wall or palisade in the way.

Draining cannot take more money than the upkeep fund actually contains. If a drain empties the upkeep fund completely, the deed will disband in a short while. (The reason given will be the generic lack of upkeep message.) Unlike normal disbands, no money is refunded to the former mayor.

Dont listen to these dirt wall guys. If you are serious PM me and I will share my advanced defensive construction techniques. My deeds very rarely get drained, ever, and one man can defend in most instances.

Edited by Suntzu

correct. no defenses at all is the perfect defense - nothing to hide = nothing to loose

or did i get you wrong there, Suntzu?

Very close. Your mind is on the right path.

One only need look at the burned out dirt wall fortresses covering chaos to begin to think there must be a better way.

• Like 1

Your best defence... players, you can have 100000 walls between your token and the outside, but if theres no-one to defend it, all it is is a delaying tactic, if you have players able to defend alongside guards, a few walls can last indefinately if defended properly

The best defence is to have nothing worth taking. If you try to place a large deed with lots of deed guards, well then there is financial benefits to be taken. I'd live close to the spawn and grind my skills up. If there is a non-pvp area where you can put an alt to hold back up tools take advantage of that.  

I could be wrong but I think folks will get bored of killing you over and over for no actual gain. Plus if you stream such negative actions to your thousands of views it is essentially hurting Wurm making it look like a noob griefing game. Use this to your advantage.

The first thing to remember when planning any settlement on a PvP server is to protect and secure the token. This can be done by erecting a simple 1x1 stone hut with a tower. When you've got some dirt walls up then you can work on perhaps sinking the token. I remember the one at Black Summit was sunk by about 40 dirts. It will take some digging, and more than likely some surface mining, but hey, think of the skills. 

Once the token is secure, build long houses on top of your dirt walls. Then put walls or houses, or both, on the inner edge of the dirt walls. How you plan the deed itself, of course, is up to you.

Best defense are drop shafts ;3 also a way get into them so you can pick on the trap ones down there.