Sign in to follow this  
ReaverKane

New Farming System

Farming is still crap, it just got more artificial difficulty. Only thing affecting farming is raking the field and supposedly quality of the seeds. I do like how high ql seeds got a faster timer when sowing, but farming hasn't really moved forward. I wouldn't mind if certain biomes, heights and weather would affect your harvest, even location of the server relatively to the cluster could affect it, but I guess i'm one of the few who wants depth in the system, not just timesink peppered with timesink

And you know what, the basis for that should already be there, in fact i'm quite certain that it was supposed to be that way. Proof to point:

Idk if it still holds, but examining certain seeds and vegetables would have indications to dificulty, and some and preferred locations. Plus apples and grapes shift fruit type according to where in the server they're harvested (green grapes and apples in the north, red in the south, if i'm not mistaken).

I don't think farming should be two actions per farm plot then just make farm as big as possible for thousands of gain. To think of it, even if you make a tree farm as big as possible, it still took many actions to get adequate logs from a single tree. Now, possibly the current farming system will means just like other main skills on wurm, you have to spend time on them, it is a profession just like not everyone choose to be a woodcutter or a miner. There might be no more too many crops that a single person can fed the whole server and crops would actually be sellable (think of it, atm most times the only ones that buy them are those who looking to grind SD). And if farming feels take long time to do, reduce farm size and get woa rake ^.^ .

Think again. It takes a few more actions, you can't sow on grass, sure after a field is primed its good to go.

And you're sorely mistaken if you want to compare both. Its the charcoal vs leather again. Its worlds apart in terms of conditionants. In terms of trees if you don't want to use a tree farm, there's millions of trees outside to harvest. If you don't plant trees, but leave the area untouched in a while you'll have your trees back (i stopped farming my field twice already, first time i restarted it i got hundreds of logs from the trees that regrew on that space, taking less than 1/5th of it).

Farms don't plant themselves. They don't regrow after being too old (trees cycle, after being old and shriveled for a while, you'll get a sprout same spot, crops wither and you need to start all over), you don't get up 8 vegetables out of a farm regardless of your skill or previous work with that tile, you don't get to subdivide the vegetables (although cotton does in a way) to get slices of pumpkin or potato chips, or corn grains that you can use to craft, you do get potencially dozens of planks or shafts from a single tree.

And obviosuly most of you have no idea the work it involves to provide materials for a priest's SD skilling. It takes me hours of sowing, and about 3-5 hours of harvest to get little over the vegetables most high end priests use up in a single cooking lesson.

I don't know what your definition of challenge is, but pressing a button and waiting till a timer has expired doesn't sound challenging to me. Though the last 10-15 years games have been becoming easier and easier, so maybe my idea of challenge is outdated and simply pressing the mouse button several times a week for each field is now considered a challenging action?

This new farming system is still very easy, some new tedium was added into it but I don't feel it has made it more interesting at the same time. Each crop is pretty much treated the same, none of them have different mechanics. There also appear to be no other factors like the quality of the soil (for example planting crops on the same area should exhaust that land and greatly reduce your harvest in time. letting animals walk on the land while there are no crops could then increase fertility again), water and irrigation are totally irrelevant too at the moment. Something could also be done in the direction of scarecrows, etc, right now there are just no external threats from the environment towards the size of your harvest. Farming just isn't dynamic at the moment, it has the potential for so much more.

I feel that the last change overall was a step back because it only added tedium, while it didn't make farming more interesting.

This is exactly right.

• Like 1

It is possible to get very high yield now off a tile, just had 5 wheat tiles yield 17 per harvest - sown and raked since update

raked 3x planted after update....keep complaining when you see these yields!

It is possible to get very high yield now off a tile, just had 5 wheat tiles yield 17 per harvest - sown and raked since update

exactly...... :rolleyes:

That seems to be a bug, if you ask me.Someone else already reported getting 17 yields every xth field.

[Moderation Edit]

but seriously for everyone else, harvest your currently planted crops, replant, experiment with a few different fields and see how it goes, for example, im going to be planting 3x3 of pumpkin, with 1 field as a control that gets no raking, 1 field with 1 rake before harvesting, another with 2 rakes etc etc, then a whole separate set of fields with a higher QL rake, to determine the best course of action in adjusting to the new mechanic.

seriously, we are all human here, so we have atleast a baseline intelligence that allows us to carry out simple experiments to find the best solution, which will also apply in this situation, so i suggest those who are feeling angry about this, try to approach it intelligently first, and if that doesnt work, then feel free to rant like a caveman and point fingers :)

Edited by KaiH
moderation edit

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Jberg, June 22, 2013 - OT
Hidden by Jberg, June 22, 2013 - OT

Go to hell whith yours new Farming system.

I have a very hard time on keep myself in Wurm. It was only one reasonable business-farming for cooking. Now i dont wannna be in YOUR fricking game any more .You are not a smarrt ppl for doing thise. NEVER one more penny I will pay for yours idiotick bugus game

i HATE YOUU AT ALL

View hidden Post

I love 1 Post Member... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

View hidden Post

I love 1 Post Member... :rolleyes:

LOL Love their spelling also, 

View hidden Post

I think I didnt understand half of what he said lol and what the hell is a bugus?XD

[Moderation Edit]

but seriously for everyone else, harvest your currently planted crops, replant, experiment with a few different fields and see how it goes, for example, im going to be planting 3x3 of pumpkin, with 1 field as a control that gets no raking, 1 field with 1 rake before harvesting, another with 2 rakes etc etc, then a whole separate set of fields with a higher QL rake, to determine the best course of action in adjusting to the new mechanic.

seriously, we are all human here, so we have atleast a baseline intelligence that allows us to carry out simple experiments to find the best solution, which will also apply in this situation, so i suggest those who are feeling angry about this, try to approach it intelligently first, and if that doesnt work, then feel free to rant like a caveman and point fingers :)

Case in point is that price hiked 60%, so i think there should be a 60% increase in quality of service, which there isn't. Wossoo has been promissing documentation about this patch forever, and except some rogue dev posts nothing was added.

If there ahd been some explanation of the change, there would be little less rage. Nothing fancy, but seriously. "We changed farming system to use more rakes and rares" or whatnot, doesn't cut it.

Most people still don't know what a sorceror is, and it was a key feature of this expansion. That's how you sell the game? Throw bugged content and hope to god that the players don't figure out just how many unsorted bugs are really in it, and let them run as a "feature" until you remember it needs a fix?

• Like 2

About 250 tiles, 70% sowed nigth before patch, rest a few hours after the patch to a day, most raked 5 times now, all pre and post will be riped tomorrow, so i will see after a 6th rake, until now examine shows 4 for like 80% of tiles and 5 for the rest.

A certain amount allready riped, all but 2 gived 4-5 the unusual ones gived 18. I have 65 farming skill now, with 66 Ql raque, all seeds where 63+ql.

If examine is acurate I see no diference at all after 5 raking actions, some of the today riped crops will be left to give it an aditional raking, i probably loose some but i want to see if 6 rakings make a difference.

Ok, I admit it, I was slightly miffed that my yields were so low at the beginning, but now that the new crops are coming in I have enough to feed a small country.  =)  [09:03:32] You see a farmer's field, which would render about 13 bunch of onion. The field is almost at full height. The crops grow steadily.

• Like 1

Ok, I admit it, I was slightly miffed that my yields were so low at the beginning, but now that the new crops are coming in I have enough to feed a small country.  =)  [09:03:32] You see a farmer's field, which would render about 13 bunch of onion. The field is almost at full height. The crops grow steadily.

Nice

Edited by Protunia

With one or no farming (raking, tending)...82ql, w77, c82 rake; 98 farm skill; 98 ql seed; 93 rake skill.

[10:55:09] You see a farmer's field, which would render about 6 bales of wemp. The field is at full height and ready to harvest! It could use a touch from the rake or some other farming tool.

Two rake actions:

[10:59:21] You see a farmer's field, which would render about 7 bales of wemp. The field is at full height and ready to harvest! The crops grow steadily.

Pre 1.1  farming nerf, I got 7 every time with no rake and with one rake I'd get 9.

While the sugar coated patch notes claim that you can harvest a greater yield is true. We should also point out the fact that the amount of work a farmer has to expend per a crops has gone up.

We can also assess that the practice of planting bigger farm instead of raking more isn't going to go away. For me ~8 seconds equals 6 crops. It looks like every ~4 seconds of rake time adds one to yield. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it smarter to build a bigger farm then to rake more.

i gave it a try. and i have to say, sorry you have over done it. i have 33 in farming and have a real life. i tend every morning and every evening when i can. and all i get now after the update is 2 crops. so please make it back like it was. no Need to make a grinder game even harder. Thx

rake once after the change and got 5 from harvesting, raked every day since with a 45ql rake and still getting 5 harvests from my fields

when i first heard about it i was happy(rakeing fields=higher yields) but i'm not seeing it(still a few more days till i'm sure all my tiles are under the new system), but if this is where it is at i'll have to add about 30% to my farm just to equal what i use to get and double to equal skill gain.

i was planning on reduceing the size of my farm to have more time for other things but now i need to increase it

Ok, in the end i got about 25-30 less crops every 100 tiles than before patch, so its a nerf whatever you call it. Farming out for me, since i have other things to do in my deed tather than pass all day tending crops.

well, this isn't looking so good, at least with wemp.

89 skill 50ish rake 89 seeds raked 4 times (daily)  still sixes and some sevens. Didn't see any fives today though. I was at 9's and occasional 10's

I'm leery about using for a much higher ql rake as I want to maintain my daily skill gain amounts and I doubt that I'd see a 30% drop in crop amounts.

Come to think about it, anyone ever get 8 wemp?  It used to always be 7, 9 or 10.

It would be good to know if along with the new mechanism if the individual crop amounts were adjusted or the difficulty adjusted. Was it purely a mechanism change or was there more to it?

You know Rolf, he plays coy with the full details and factors.

Offhand theres seed ql, tool ql, and number of farmings for a field; though, its possible the starfall (time of year) affects gain now.

Otherwise I cant think of any other possible factors unless an option for watering crops exists now.

EDIT: Mmm elevation comes to mind, distance from water table.

EDIT EDIT:

P.P.S. There will also be a slight change to the farming mechanic. There will now be more factors affecting crop yield, including seed ql, rake ql and the rarity of everything involved. In theory, someone with only 1 farming skill could potentially achieve a yield of 4 crops. Also, you will continue to always harvest more than 0 crops.

View the tumblr article

The "rarity of everything" involved comment... Not entirely sure what it means.

Edited by Klaa

Ok, first 3 tiles got ripe today, here's my findings:

Tile 1 and 2 were raked daily at least once, most of the times twice a day (total of around 6-8 actions), ql 80 rake.

My farming is lvl 61.

Both tiles yielded 6 pumpkins.

Tile 3 Was only raked pre-harvest same rake, same skill

4 pumpkins.

All tiles were sowed the day after the patch.

So, no nerf? All a bug from transition?

Don't think so.

• Like 1

DEY TOOK ER CROPPPSSSSS'

RABBLE RABBLE RABBBLE! :angry:

Offhand theres seed ql, tool ql, and number of farmings for a field; though, its possible the starfall (time of year) affects gain now.

EDIT EDIT:

The "rarity of everything" involved comment... Not entirely sure what it means.

hmm its soon winter might have something to do with it : /

I've been farming for a while and my data is thus:

Farming Skill 29 

20 fields of mixed crops

Seeds QL 28-29

Rake QL 32.

Tended twice per RL day and once before harvesting.

I was getting 3 with the occational 4. Now (for plants after update), 2 has been the maximum,

Is this correct? Should I have to invest in a better rake and therefore minimise my skill gain?