Sign in to follow this  
ReaverKane

New Farming System

Rake QL must play a huge part, if we were supposed to be able to get a higher yield after the changes.

With farming skill 69, seed QL 69, daily tending, rake QL 41, my first crops are now ripe and I am only getting 4-5 yield, before the patch I got 6-7 (and tended daily then too). If that is not a nerf, I don't know what to call it.... but I will just do what many will be doing: skipping the tending and increasing the number of fields.

Rake QL must play a huge part

It probably does. If it is the same as mining where pickaxe QL influences speed for example, you need 90+ QL to really get a noticeably increase. 

It sounds like farming needs a bit of tweaking, but the dev already replied in one of the threads that he will evaluate.

• Like 1

I am still getting the same yield from crops planted after the patch as I did from the ones planted before the patch, and those were supposedly bugged?

It probably does. If it is the same as mining where pickaxe QL influences speed for example, you need 90+ QL to really get a noticeably increase. 

It sounds like farming needs a bit of tweaking, but the dev already replied in one of the threads that he will evaluate.

Ql 83 rake should be enough to get an increase. Face it, they nerfed farming. You now need optimum conditions and really high ql stuff to do better than before, and to get previous minimum results you still need to tend the fields. So more work for same gains = nerf = another freaking timeskin =another patch that is so detached from the game's reality i wonder if they really want to improve the game, or just find ways to crash it.

• Like 2

Prelim results on 15 out of 80 tiles- Farming Skill -44 Rake QL -32

Seed Ql

Barley -42.39

Oat - 39.91

Potato - 38.64

Onion - 42.03

Raked a minimum of 5 times per tile to a maximum of 7 times

Cereals were harvested with a 46.78 QL Sythe

No rare actions

Harvest results

Oat - 3

Potato - 3

Potato - 3

Barley - 2

Oat - 3

Potato - 4

Oat - 3

Oat - 3

Barley - 3

Barley - 3

Oat - 3

Barley - 3

Barley - 3

Barley - 3

Onion - 2

Full results will be posted elsewhere in another thread...but I like where this is going so far. Farming has always been too easy..so its good to see the harvest amounts going downhill. Its a good direction.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

Full results will be posted elsewhere in another thread...but I like where this is going so far. Farming has always been too easy..so its good to see the harvest amounts going downhill. Its a good direction.

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about... Try producing over 1000 vegetables a day with the reduced rates.

• Like 1

Ql 83 rake should be enough to get an increase. Face it, they nerfed farming. You now need optimum conditions and really high ql stuff to do better than before, and to get previous minimum results you still need to tend the fields. So more work for same gains = nerf = another freaking timeskin =another patch that is so detached from the game's reality i wonder if they really want to improve the game, or just find ways to crash it.

Comon you know its not as freaking bad as you are in here belly aching about it.

Yes it makes you work for it more and not just plant and come back and harvest a ton of crops.

Truth is QLTY should also be effected as well like the other resources in Wurm.

If you do not want to farm and tend crops you will get less as it should be.

Better farmers get more crops and they should also get better Qlty crops compared to the lazy farmers.

• Like 1

I cleared a total of 16 tiles today, a couple old & most(13) new.

Skill:  21 / Rake:  1.71 / Coc 71 / Seeds: Unknown

3 huge harvests of 14 each, everything else was 2, the old tiles all 1 each.

from 13 fields, 86 items = 6 items per harvest ave

Not bad for someone who ticked over to 22 skill, with such a poor ql rake.  From where I sit, there was nothing to be worried about.  Which I said before in another thread.

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about... Try producing over 1000 vegetables a day with the reduced rates.

Why do you need 1000 vegetables per day...what 3rd world country are you trying to feed? This is why im glad the results are going downhill.

• Like 2

Comon you know its not as freaking bad as you are in here belly aching about it.

Yes it makes you work for it more and not just plant and come back and harvest a ton of crops.

Better farmers get more crops and they should also get better Qlty crops compared to the lazy farmers.

Problem is, we're not getting more crops, except with the equivalent of a freaking rare or somesuch. I raked the tiles as often as the game allows for it (1-2 in each stage of maturity) and still only got the EXACT same quantity of items i'd get pre-patch with sow and forget, nevermind that with previous system i ACTUALLY had a fixed chance of getting extra items from farming, not a random crap that negatively affects my yield unless i farm like crazy.

Why do you need 1000 vegetables per day...what 3rd world country are you trying to feed? This is why im glad the results are going downhill.

That exactly why people who don't know the hell they talk about should shut the f*ck up and learn the game before they babble. So to explain that, ANY high level (specially) vynora priest, at some point needs to start cooking 1000+ meals/stews a day, that's part of how they get those awesome 90+ coc casts that you so love. So unless you find some other way to feed that small third world country, do learn what the game involves before running your mouth (or fingers).

I cleared a total of 16 tiles today, a couple old & most(13) new.

Skill:  21 / Rake:  1.71 / Coc 71 / Seeds: Unknown

3 huge harvests of 14 each, everything else was 2, the old tiles all 1 each.

from 13 fields, 86 items = 6 items per harvest ave

Not bad for someone who ticked over to 22 skill, with such a poor ql rake.  From where I sit, there was nothing to be worried about.  Which I said before in another thread.

Weird part is, that every one i heard talk about these 10+ harvests had low (~20) farming skill...

Edited by ReaverKane
  • Like 1

That exactly why people who don't know the hell they talk about should shut the f*ck up and learn the game before they babble. So to explain that, ANY high level (specially) vynora priest, at some point needs to start cooking 1000+ meals/stews a day, that's part of how they get those awesome 90+ coc casts that you so love. So unless you find some other way to feed that small third world country, do learn what the game involves before running your mouth (or fingers).

"If" the farming improvements are also indirectly having an effect on priests...FANTASTIC. There are way too many of those as well. Everybody and thier brother has a vyn priest and a mag priest..Id love to see about 50% go bye bye. So if it makes it harder and the ultimate result is less priests -  BONUS.

If then the farming improvements are making you have to work harder to support all those multiple chars...thats a good thing....its the right direction.... :)

Oh and I keep my tools Religon Free...so no bling casts for me :)

Edited by sunsvortex

Weird part is, that every one i heard talk about these 10+ harvests had low (~20) farming skill...

Every post so far does seem to indicate this whole thing is bugged. Raking which should have an impact seems to only be having a 1 crop yield increase even if you rake multiple times a day. My own fields I have left some unraked and some I have raked at least twice a day and yet the crop yields are about the same. Yes the ones raked more often have 3 yield (41 skill, 40 rake, 36-40 seeds) than 2, but its not a guaranteed, and its a lot of work when you could just not rake at all and only get a slight difference in yield.

Way it stands under the new system the most effective way is just increase farm sizes, as the yield per action isn't worth it with raking. 

Edited by Ickorn
  • Like 1

"If" the farming improvements are also indirectly having an effect on priests...FANTASTIC. There are way too many of those as well. Everybody and thier brother has a vyn priest and a mag priest..Id love to see about 50% go bye bye. So if it makes it harder and the ultimate result is less priests -  BONUS.

If then the farming improvements are making you have to work harder to support all those multiple chars...thats a good thing....its the right direction.... :)

Oh and I keep my tools Religon Free...so no bling casts for me :)

Again ignorant children shouldn't babble about what they don't know. If envy played a part on the game's changes (which sometimes i believe it does - look at what triggered the animal ratio thing), the game would be going on very fast slope to 0 players.

• Like 1

Again ignorant children shouldn't babble about what they don't know. If envy played a part on the game's changes (which sometimes i believe it does - look at what triggered the animal ratio thing), the game would be going on very fast slope to 0 players.

What triggered the animal ratio was a clear understanding that people were hoarding horses and it was becoming an issue. Horses stopped spawning and new players could not go out and find horses...they were forced to either buy them or depend on someons charity or if by chance they did find one..it was inbred or had terrible traits. If you want to have huge horse farms fine...its going to be more difficult to do so....This was an AWESOME change. I see wild horses all over the palce now. If I want to start my own horse farm then I can "without" having to buy off someone or having to start at a clear disadvantage by using inbred or bad traited horses to start the herd.(And not just horses..cattle ect ect ect.)

The animal ratio is nothing more than a control mechinism to limit people that have 10000 horses that quit playing months ago with a field full of enchanted grass that will never go away so all those horses are essentially taken out of play and are useful to no one. First came the rework on enchanted grass..another awesome change..then comes the animal ratio...just a fantastic well thought out change...and now all those untended horses are dying out and with the new spawn mechanics...Wild horses are again appearing all over the server. Got nothing but love for those changes.....now farming is going in the same direction...its great. Its long overdue.

Your seeing these changes only from your POV and cant seem to see outside of that. And..you seem to like to personally attack anyone that has a differeing view point. You can call me ignorant..a child...dont know what im talking about till your blue in the face...it will not stop me from voicing my opinion and ...your sooner or later going to need to understand..that..the devs really dont need to run the updates by reavercane to make sure they fit his definition of the way the game should be played.  Tich has allready said after more results come in he will make adjustments so that the mecahnic is working like intended...so stop your incessent whining about something you ...yes you...know nothing about. Its a new mechanic..unless your a dev..you do not know what you are talking about as you have not seen the code. let the numbers bear out before you throw your tempertantrums...let the devs tweak it a bit..then you can come in and rage quit and cry...at least then youll have concrete numbers to base your whine on.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 3

Again ignorant children shouldn't babble about what they don't know.

Players that can't argue in a calm manner and present their arguments without flaming everyone and their grandmother should stay away from forums.

You are the only one acting like a child here.

Back on topic:

As I wrote above, and which you ignored completely:

and by evaluating I mean tweak and fix.

Even if he won't, I personally have nothing against farming being nerfed IF it is a nerf and not a bug (It is not completely unheard of in Wurm history that bugs sneak in when tweaking things).

• Like 1

Players that can't argue in a calm manner and present their arguments without flaming everyone and their grandmother should stay away from forums.

Back on topic:

Even if he won't, I personally have nothing against farming being nerfed IF it is a nerf and not a bug (It is not completely unheard of in Wurm history that bugs sneak in when tweaking things).

The annoying thing about this change is that it feels like a complete overhaul of the farming system, but was barely even mentioned in the 1.1 release.  In fact it was slipped in as a postscript at the end of the June 14th notes:

"P.P.S. There will also be a slight change to the farming mechanic. There will now be more factors affecting crop yield, including seed ql, rake ql and the rarity of everything involved. In theory, someone with only 1 farming skill could potentially achieve a yield of 4 crops. Also, you will continue to always harvest more than 0 crops."

A 'slight' change mind you.  To me that says you can expect better crops if you do the extra work, not that there will be reduced crops if you don't do the work.  But there's the issue in a nutshell, lack of communication from the Devs on what this change implied, and what to expect from it, or even a why it's being changed at all.

I could have been entirely on board and enthused with a seasonal harvest reduction as winter approaches and better yields for the summer season, if they'd said that was what their goal was.  Or if they'd mentioned any goal really.  This feels more like a ninja nerf than anything, unwanted work just to maintain prior gains.

In the end the people who don't have time to spend raking all day will just farm a few more tiles to get the same yields as before anyway.  So what's the point of it all?

Edited by Domhnall
  • Like 3

My problem is not with having to "work" for a larger yield. My problem is that I "worked" for it before the patch (always tended at least once a day), and I am still tending my crops at least daily, yet I get an average yield that is 2 less than before the patch - from crops planted after the patch. So this is not just a nerf of the so called "lazy" (some would call them smart) farmers but also of the hardworking ones.

With a farming skill of 69.9 I now get a max yield of 5, where I used to get a max of 7 (mostly 6 though back then and it is mostly 4 now). Unfortunately I will hit 70 soon, so my comparisons are not going to be worth as much.

If you want quality to be more like other skills, then we should still get mostly crops that have the same quality as our farming skill - with occasional fails thrown in. Some crops could then be more difficult to farm and give more fails (LQ) early on. Tool quality for most other skills only affects your time spent and skill gained, but here you are getting less yield as well - and you need 2 tools to harvest, and they require 2 different skills to make. I am not going to get a 70QL scythe on Release any time soon...

If you use a LQ imp'ing tool when blacksmithing, you are more likely to fail, but you can just try again - with farming, you have to wait for 3-5 days to try again, and you better not miss raking during those days. If mining also gave smaller shards/less ore if you use a LQ pick (but not more total actions pr tile), if woodcutting using LQ tools gave smaller logs (and of course not the same total weight to just be combined in a BSB) I wouldn't expect miners and woodcutters to not be disappointed either... Why anyone would want  farming to be more like butchering (the only other skill I can think of where tool ql has an effect on yield)  is beyond my comprehension.

• Like 1

Back on topic:

What about the utter lack of respect for everyone that has to farm to keep their priests running?

Can you get more insulting than that guy's speach. If you stopped modding people that are direct in their speach, and start modding those that mock the ones that actually want the game to progress, this forum wouldn't be such a craptastic place. I chastized a troll, he insulted dozens of people genuinely concerned about the game. And yet, apparently Game Mods don't care about that. I see so many people with posts that would get closed, cut, and warned in any decent moderated forum its not funny.

Its people that have that priest alt, and that kept that premium fee going that help support the game, not Mr. "It Does not affect me, so i'll never buy a Enchanted Item in my life, so yay for a patch that screws other people's enjoyment and not mine".

IF it's a bug, THEN i go back to my other speach, GIVE US INFORMATION. Tell the players what's to be expected, and what isn't. How the hell are the devs supposed to fix it if we can't provide accurate feedback, since we have no freaking idea how its supposed to work. They obviously aren't testing that in depth themselves (if you need more proof, what about house expansions being on test for 3 months or more, and still ending up with a game breaking bug that had to be sorted out by threatening with bans).

Edited by ReaverKane
  • Like 1

Other resource skills you have to make a choice  skill or better and now farming is more along the lines of the other resource skills.

When doing the other resources you lose Qlty when skilling  and that's the only thing left to do with farming to put in more in line with mining, woodcutting, etc.

Farming the Qlty is still the same as skill so you are actually still pretty good compared to the others.

This is probably because you have to plant the fields and wait for the harvest.

Perfect change if you ask me.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

before the update my field was pumkin only after the patch i switched to corn so i can see the before and after patch

so i harvested my first corn today

60QL+ seed, farming 66, rake 2 time a day with a 70QL rake, got 5 crop

i hate that new system

more work less crop that BS

and i dint rake the first row in my field just too see, 4 crop instead of 5, rake 2 time a day for 1 more crop witch is still one less that before the patch

Edited by BlGpapa
  • Like 2

... So to explain that, ANY high level (specially) vynora priest, at some point needs to start cooking 1000+ meals/stews a day, that's part of how they get those awesome 90+ coc casts that you so love...

At the risk at being cussed at for not already knowing the answer...  What happens if said priest only cooks 100 meals/stews per day?  Do priests lose casting skill?  I honestly don't know the answer to this.

At the risk at being cussed at for not already knowing the answer...  What happens if said priest only cooks 100 meals/stews per day?  Do priests lose casting skill?  I honestly don't know the answer to this.

Hot Food Cooking is one of the main choices for priests to improve Soul Depth wich end in: When a cast is made your channelling skill, alignment, soul depth and spell difficulty are used to generate a result.

Does Soul Depth decrease over time?  Why do priests have to cook 1000 meals/stews per day?

Because it's the highest SD gain for less sleep bonus. This is due to how cooking works, not farming. If you spend the time gathering materials and filling pans on doing nature skills instead your SD gain would prolly be close to equal. Not to mention that you need a pretty massive farm or a lot of money to make it worthwhile

Edited by san_tropez

Rake Ql must not matter. Even with an 85+ql rake all I get are 4 crops with 66+ Farming skill when it was 6 before this Farming NERF. 

It's yet another micromanagement maneuver and a ploy to make people stay in wurm more so the euros can keep coming in. I like Wurm but ya know it gets to a point the game is more a hassle than fun due to nerfs like this. People would enjoy being able to do more than watch crops grow. For the farmers this is a real pain. It's also absurd for low skill players to be getting more crops in than someone who has worked their skill higher. Plain and simple, should be getting more for your efforts and at the very minimum what it was before this nerf. 

• Like 2