Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Rebuilding Roofs

Ok so the word is that upon the release of 1.0 all of our current house roofs will be ripped off into the vortex of the changes and leave us with no proper shelters anymore; thus they will all have to be rebuilt with new materials. Of course as is the Wurm way, no instructions of any sort have been provided on how to do so. The usual, go figure it out yourselves approach.

With this in mind, I am wondering if anyone who has done this sort of new roof building on the test server would be kind enough to enlighten the rest of us clueless Wurmian's by answering the following roof construction questions.

• Is there a special tool needed to build the new roofs?
  • What are the materials and the procedure for creating this tool?
  • What are the materials needed to create the various types of roofs?
  • How are these materials combined to create the applied product?
  • How much of the materials are needed to build one roof section?
  • How are the materials applied to start the roof section?

Thanks to anyone who will provide this information so we can get on with rebuilding the roofs on our many houses that have been eliminated by the new non-option of having to reconstruct them on our existing one storey houses. Nothing to do but grin and bear it while going about this laborious task, which on how to do so, no information has been supplied. Inquiring minds would like to know, no doubt.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

we all know that will happend :D

there is 10 difrent roofs... and many new materials like on test... one interesting one is marble

I think I can live without a roof until pogo sticks are invented. Or ladders.

Ok so the word is that upon the release of 1.0 all of our current house roofs will be ripped off into the vortex of the changes and leave us with no proper shelters anymore; thus they will all have to be rebuilt with new materials. Of course as is the Wurm way, no instructions of any sort have been provided on how to do so. The usual, go figure it out yourselves approach.

With this in mind, I am wondering if anyone who has done this sort of new roof building on the test server would be kind enough to enlighten the rest of us clueless Wurmian's by answering the following roof construction questions.

• Is there a special tool needed to build the new roofs?
  • What are the materials and the procedure for creating this tool?
  • What are the materials needed to create the various types of roofs?
  • How are these materials combined to create the applied product?
  • How much of the materials are needed to build one roof section?
  • How are the materials applied to start the roof section?

Thanks to anyone who will provide this information so we can get on with rebuilding the roofs on our many houses that have been eliminated by the new non-option of having to reconstruct them on our existing one storey houses. Nothing to do but grin and bear it while going about this laborious task, which on how to do so, no information has been supplied. Inquiring minds would like to know, no doubt.

=Ayes=

I do know you need a leggat (fine carpentry tool) to build a reed roof,and the raw materials are reeds and wires.. And from IRC yesterday if you have the first floor complete you can sleep in there and still get sleep bonus. Or in other words, if you have a floor complete above your head, you can sleep on that floor below. Thats about all I know about the roofs.

Edited by conmcb25

Roofs are build like walls and 2nd floors. You select the floor of the tile you're on and select among build roof and then roof type. It then takes materials in the same fashion as a wall. Wooden roof takes planks/nails for example. Graphics for many roof types weren't on test last I saw so initially I suspect they won't be in game but probably will pretty quickly.

Some roof types take a hammer/mallet, some a leggat and some had an undefined tool type.

Floors are same way.

Roofs are build like walls and 2nd floors. You select the floor of the tile you're on and select among build roof and then roof type. It then takes materials in the same fashion as a wall. Wooden roof takes planks/nails for example. Graphics for many roof types weren't on test last I saw so initially I suspect they won't be in game but probably will pretty quickly.

Some roof types take a hammer/mallet, some a leggat and some had an undefined tool type.

Floors are same way.

Thank you for a reasonable response Belthize. Now if I unserstand you correctly, to start to rebuild the roof on my existing 1 storey house (which I want to remain 1 storey) all I do is target one of the floor tiles inside and it will bring up the option to start to rebuild the roof over that section? Then I suppose if I do not have the required materials to start it in my inventory, it will inform me what is needed to start that roof section? Seems simple enough once one knows that is how to *start* to attempt to rebuild the roof. Thanks again.

=Ayes=

I've built a leggat and the description says it is used to make thatch from reeds. So I assume you then apply the thatch to the roof with wires. I've already stocked raw materials for several possible roof types and plan on a lot of experimenting today.

I forsee a roofless future of Wurm for quite some time into the future.

I know I have maybe 30 house writs in total and they are all on flat ground...

As I recall seeing posted somewhere about roofs on test server, there are 3 types that can be built, thatch, wood shakes and slate. I think initially I will just go with the wood shake roof since the materials *seem* to be straight forward (planks & nails?) and most likely only require some current tool to apply them. Also the wood shake roof pictures look pretty nice as well.

=Ayes=

It's a quest. For roofs!

Although the artwork that has been done on roofs is quite nice, if having to rebuild them all with the introduction of 1.0 is your idea of a *quest* within Wurm, I am very glad that there are few of these types of *quests* in Wurm.

=Ayes=

It's a quest. For roofs!

Damn, does it mean Wurm is not a sandbox game anymore? "We" can't win the top 10 sandbox games poll anymore *sob*

You make a "floor opening" tile above you, which automatically spawns a ladder below it. Once staircases are ready you'll place that below the opening which will allow you to walk up into the next floor instead of climbing the ladder.

Thank you for a reasonable response Belthize. Now if I unserstand you correctly, to start to rebuild the roof on my existing 1 storey house (which I want to remain 1 storey) all I do is target one of the floor tiles inside and it will bring up the option to start to rebuild the roof over that section? Then I suppose if I do not have the required materials to start it in my inventory, it will inform me what is needed to start that roof section? Seems simple enough once one knows that is how to *start* to attempt to rebuild the roof. Thanks again.

=Ayes=

Yep, that's basically it. It's pretty much like building a wall. The first step is planning the floor, the 2nd is attaching the first item to fix the type and then continuing.

What you *should* see assuming nothing's changed when you click the floor is an option to build a roof -> roof types or 2nd floor -> floor types. Of the floor types there's also an option for opening. In other words the process for building a roof or 2nd floor is essentially the same.

If you build an opening then once you complete it a ladder will appear and you can climb by either clicking the ladder or the upper floor. The ladder is functionally part of the 2nd floor. It can't be selected independently, it's an extension of the floor. It is handy though so you don't have to look up to climb. You have to be pretty much on top of the ladder to climb, being on the tile is not sufficient.

Edited by belthize

Do we get proper floors for the ground floor now instead of having to use slabs/wooden floorboards?

Yes, in fact they have actual height. When you walk on to them you can see your camera raise slightly. They're not paving, you can't put a floor on a random open tile, you can only put it in a planned house.

There are many different floor types, wood, stone, slate, marble, steel, gold etc. Many don't have graphics yet so look like ?-bags but I'm sure they'll be in soon.

In that case...I have to find me some gold. Golden floors are a must :)

Does anyone know how metal roofs are built?

The last I tested they still weren't doable. Any tool I tried (hammer, mallet, trowel, leggat etc) simply said you don't have the right tool. It's possible it's a bug (listed in my thread), it's possible it's not in game and it's possible I didn't have the right tool. I did not try activating an anvil for instance.

Otherwise they're no different from any other roof.