Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Catamarans - Fast Sailing Ship For Transporting Goods Between Servers

Wikipedia: (T)he catamaran has arguably become the best design for fast ferries, because their speed, stability and large capacity are valuable.

They were noted for sailing faster, in shallower waters, and with less wind or crew than almost any other kind of sailed ship. They tend to have much faster speeds than single-hulled ships, although they can be very difficult to turn. They would be wonderful for inter-server sailing, perhaps give them the capacity of a large cart (as opposed to the small cart capacity of rowboats/sailboats) which means they could hold up to tt least seven rafts worth of goods. Much easier to maneuver through canals, over shallows, and easier to drag.

I would say about the difficulty level of a COG, much less material just make the pieces HARDER to attach, and maybe using more difficult parts to craft.

Minimum speed: 13 k/h

Maximum speed: 23 k/h

or something. It's the faster minimum speed plus ease in shallows that would mostly make them popular despite having a smaller capacity than the other "cargo ships". I would also keep the turning difficulty as a special feature unique to this boat, as a counter to its speed.

Although I would like to see ALL LARGER SHIPS GET A BUFF TO MINIMUM SPEEDS

cats.jpgold-catamaran.jpg

PolynesianCatamaran.jpgIMG_0730.JPG_790.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

+1, we need something halfway between a sailboat and a corb, it'd be like a mini-knarr!

Darkfall's Composite raft: (Large Raft)darkfall-2010-10-19-18-15-06-95.jpg

Though, this was designed to be a ship that you use to transport a large amount of people, instead it was quite useless for that aspect :P

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be good in this :)

Edited by Saraski

If any kind of new boat comes around in my opinion it should hold 6 or 7 people, so you wouldn't have to split into 2 sailboats if just over 5 people are going to raid/pvp.

i would love a catamaran to close the gap between the small sailing boat and the corbita. +1

+1

One of the best suggestions I've seen for a large cart capacity boat.

No, knarrs are only visually small, but they have more capacity and need more mats and skill to build than a cog.

Would be cool to have! However, from my own experience, catamarans are not famous for storage space and are terrible upwind. But very fast too :P

So make it a fast, low-storage, knarr-sized boat good in all conditions.

Tbh there should be many more types of boat in Wurm. Off of the top of my head:

Large Sailing Boat (What it says on the tin = hold size of large cart)

Barge (Small transport good for shallow waters, 20 raft hold)

Carrack (40-60 raft hold, cog-sized but very fast war/merchant ship. If ship mounted weapons were implemented then it'd be top of the game.)

The ability to have boats on this game is fantastic. Multi-storey houses? Nice... but next, I want a boat I can walk around in and more kinds of boat! ;)

I'd like to think that multi-storey could pave the way for not just bridges but also more complicated boats. Would be epic to have equippable stuff like hammocks (grant 1/2 SB), ovens and forges, and be able to put them on the lower, now-accessible decks! In ye olde days ships were the workhorses of soceity... their heritage and potential should be used to the full!!

(If any devs are reading this and want to make more ships... PM me, I do a lot of sailing and boat stuff in RL and could prove valuable in any project that you might undertake to expand ship potential.)

Edited by Docterchese