Sign in to follow this  
Zekezor

Horses obtaining aggro while ridden.

Which option do you think would make Wurm the most enjoyable?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you think would make Wurm the most enjoyable?

• Untamed animals doesn't attract aggro while ridden.
    • Untamed animals while ridden can attract aggro from hostile creatures.
    • Untamed animals while ridden can attract aggro from hostile creatures if the creature is starving.

Basically I can't say what I want to say about this nogump.  It looks like a tiny JK so its hard to find sometimes and it kills everything around it with ease.  Had 4 guards and 5 tower guards beating on it while I tried to kill it, at one point it was to wounded but then it magically healed to full health so I said that's it done and logged.  OH yeah and it tossed me like a rag doll constantly.

call for help. I am sure fine community of mrh will give you some.

I personally tried killing animals with riding horse and unknowingly tested this new update. Its true, horses do not get attacked most of time but what if a troll, or one of these epic mobs decide to do it. What if?

Its sad to say that this will give more rage-quit opportunities to the new guys.

Well if this change applies only to attacking horses that are being ridden instead of our cart pulling animals, it seems to me to not be as bad a situation as I had envisioned.

As for only "starving" creatures attacking ridden horses, I rarely see any of these rampaging brutes that are not at "starving" status, perhaps only the newly spawned young ones.

Still, I don't quite get the benifit to the game playerbase to have their ridden animals attacked and damaged in this manner.

=Ayes=

People every try TESTING changes before flying into a forum rage?  :P

#3 It will make the game more challenging, many players that have been playing for awhile strongly

But this once again creates a WoO (Window of Opportunity).  I quickly got to 70fs+ on horseback hunting, do you think it's going to be easy for people to do that with the system now?  Having to stop and heal their horse every so often, or having to deal with a slow horse because it was chain barding?  That time will add up, and it's going to make hunting for new players much slower.  It's going to be harder for new players to catch up in FS to older players on Epic who rode around on unaggroable horses.  Hellfang has 80fs and I tried to fight a troll the other day (sword/longsword), even on horseback that thing was very hard to kill.  I don't think any newbie is going to survive trying to fight trolls on foot. 

Fair is fair, no matter the update everyone should of have the right to gain skill at the same speed, percentage, and time as others did.  This isn't fair to them.  If you want to make these types of game changes you need to realize how it'll effect new players, and I don't think when implementing this idea that thought passed anyone's mind. 

I understand the realism of this update, but to me it's just an annoyance more than anything else.  Make tower guards + deed guards attack horses (Epic/Chaos), sure, but not aggressive animals.

Windows of opportunity are something I have come to peace with myself. i can see no situation how this game can improve and move forward without them happening. What you really look it is will this update be good for the game in the long run. Sure existing players will benifit from some windows but that's the nature of the beast with a  constantly developing game like Wurm it's unavoidable. I like the change for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. I do not know about epic and the degree of difficulty of animals there so i don't really have a place to add to the situation you described.

I feel that i'm being much more objective than alot of other people posting against the changes in the thread, this change does make things abit more risking and difficult for everyone in the game so it's bound to be unpopular. However I am in support of these changes because I think despite problematic aspect of the changes that the change is really in best interest of the game. For many who may not know me you may get the impression that I only like these changes since they won't affect me but they will. I'm an avid hunter and I would suspect these changes would affect me just as much as many people in this thread if not more. 

I think more testing needs to be done with these changes to help work out how well this new system works and weather it needs some tweaking. But I think this really is a great step in the right direction. Also I would like to mention that I forgot to say that from my understanding and from what i've observed today creatures don't attack hitch animals.

At the people who objected me calling them out on their entitled attitude, I stand by this statement some of the posts made before mine did have a bratty, entitled tone. From the perspective of myself I know where Wurm has come from  since i started playing I have  formed my opinions from my experience of how the game works. This does not mean that my opinion means anymore than yours or anyone elses but I still have the right to have my say. My comment regarding the attitude of entitlement was really a commentary about about what i'd observed in the thread, at the time that I posted. it was not meant to be "Hurr stupid noobs shut up" or anything like that. It was merely a stated observation.

pff. okay so i don't need speed horses anymore yaay.

aged fat horse it is. if it dies: who cares. at least no silvers wasted :)

Was about to buy a 5-speed horse, too. Guess that I can use the silvers somewhere else now.

Hi,

For sure they do:

Logging started 2012-03-14

[20:49:58] Young starving black wolf claws Venerable fat Cloudpaddy pretty hard in the stomach and irritates it.

[23:06:05] Mature starving wild cat claws Aged fat Cloudjolly very lightly in the stomach and slaps it.

[23:32:38] Aged fat Cloudjolly kicks Young wild cat very lightly in the chest and slaps it.

The last timestamp means 12h before the time of posting.

So obviously the statements that "only certain mobs attack", or "only hungry mobs attack" are incorrect.

The young wild cat didn't hit the horse before it fell, but obviously had tried.

Both horses wasn't tame, for sure.

Test summary:

Any critter has a small chance now to attack your horse. My sample is ways too small for a qualified estimate of the percentage, but as a rough guess I'd think that maybe 10% will attack the horse actually.

This was done within 2 short patrols of the Kinoss bay canal, and of the surroundings of our deeds. As we rarely have any bigger (or colored) critters anymore since weeks such couldn't be tested, I could imagine they'd attack the horse more often?

I really don't want to have to fight something more serious now - older raging trolls, older greenish scorps and such. Not only do the hit like a machine gun these days, they do nasty wounds, too, and are running quite fast. For sure they'd outrun a severely wounded horse easily, and finish it in the blink of an eye.

While this may be no problem for some old, uber skilled players, in Drake armor and with awesome gear, it will be a pain where it hurts for the majority of the "normal" players, and will certainly add a lot to their gaming experience.

Am I right if I assume that this change again was meant to cure the problems on the PvP servers, where people are complaining about riding being such OP?

Have fun!

Hi,

For sure they do:

Logging started 2012-03-14

[20:49:58] Young starving black wolf claws Venerable fat Cloudpaddy pretty hard in the stomach and irritates it.

[23:06:05] Mature starving wild cat claws Aged fat Cloudjolly very lightly in the stomach and slaps it.

[23:32:38] Aged fat Cloudjolly kicks Young wild cat very lightly in the chest and slaps it.

The last timestamp means 12h before the time of posting.

So obviously the statements that "only certain mobs attack", or "only hungry mobs attack" are incorrect.

The young wild cat didn't hit the horse before it fell, but obviously had tried.

Both horses wasn't tame, for sure.

Test summary:

Any critter has a small chance now to attack your horse. My sample is ways too small for a qualified estimate of the percentage, but as a rough guess I'd think that maybe 10% will attack the horse actually.

This was done within 2 short patrols of the Kinoss bay canal, and of the surroundings of our deeds. As we rarely have any bigger (or colored) critters anymore since weeks such couldn't be tested, I could imagine they'd attack the horse more often?

I really don't want to have to fight something more serious now - older raging trolls, older greenish scorps and such. Not only do the hit like a machine gun these days, they do nasty wounds, too, and are running quite fast. For sure they'd outrun a severely wounded horse easily, and finish it in the blink of an eye.

While this may be no problem for some old, uber skilled players, in Drake armor and with awesome gear, it will be a pain where it hurts for the majority of the "normal" players, and will certainly add a lot to their gaming experience.

Am I right if I assume that this change again was meant to cure the problems on the PvP servers, where people are complaining about riding being such OP?

Have fun!

Your incorrect sir. Hungry does not mean starving which is a named condition. To verify whether or not the animal is hungry you must examine it. So you will no know what animal will attack your horse unti you examine it and verify that it is one of very thin fat layers. Also whether they still attack the horse at that point is random.

At least the horse is fighting back. Can help some players now too who may have a bit lower fight skill.  Should hopefully making fighting traits useful.

Sure it makes moving around harder, and a lot of people are gonna end up dead when their horse gets to hurt by something like a troll and barely moves anymore. But is that bad? It adds to the feeling of dangerous wilderness that wurm world is supposed to be.

Sure it makes moving around harder, and a lot of people are gonna end up dead when their horse gets to hurt by something like a troll and barely moves anymore. But is that bad? It adds to the feeling of dangerous wilderness that wurm world is supposed to be.

:) Exactly.

A nice change that adds to danger now we just need dangerous creatures back as well so Wurm isn't so boring.

Ever since reaching around 40-50FS Wurm has stopped feeling dangerous, even without a horse. This change just means more tedium for me (and probably less sales for high-value horses, as people are now less likely to use their 4-5s worth horses when moving around. I'm sure I won't, at least).

:) Exactly.

Will it make wurm harder for you? For Emoo? Guess not. Not for me either. Only for new players with few horses or low skills or people that do not pay attantion to the combat tab.

Decided to go out this morning and grind some FS per business as usual. Killed 5 spider, 2 wolves and a bear. No hits on my horse yet...

As a new player (less than a month, about 7 FS), I both like and don't like this change.

If this only affected players who were using mounts to gain FS advantages, I'd be all over it like white on rice.  That is a good thing, and offsets the benefit by adding a little risk.  Maybe the FS gains will be a little slower now, maybe not.  But everyone can (and will) adjust, or use stronger mounts.

However, this will affect everyone, including players just trying to travel between locations who have no intention of fighting or taking advantage of the mounted bonuses.  Not all horses are speed horses that can carry extra weight, and if the mount slows down when taking damage it just compounds the problem.

The thing about only "hungry" or "starving" creature attacking is that almost all aggro is starving unless you are near its spawn point.  There is no proper predator-prey ratios, or at least not implemented correctly.  So this means just about everything you see will be eligible for attacking your mount since there is almost nothing for aggro to eat and transition to "not interested in food anymore" (ie: not hungry).

I believe the intent was to counteract mounted combat and I can see the reasons for that.

Revert this change and simply require mounts to be tamed before taking them into combat.  Or require them to be tamed before receiving any mounted bonuses, making it obvious that you do or do not receive the bonuses in the Combat or Events window.  Then don't worry about whether a creature is hungry or not; you're attacking on a tamed animal, it is contributing to the fight, so it receives damage in return.

Either of those two options would accomplish the intended goals without penalizing travelers and traders as is the case now.

K 7th spider targeted my horse beat it all to hell down to bleeding. While it is random and rare it is very devastating to the horse. If it was a troll it would have been dead easy.

K 7th spider targeted my horse beat it all to hell down to bleeding. While it is random and rare it is very devastating to the horse. If it was a troll it would have been dead easy.

That's what I expected to happen. I wonder how much barding will help.

50ql chain barding seems to block 40-50% of damage, so stood up to two spider attacks and was "only" down to bleeding.

Remember you went attacking and looking for fights too.

Someone just travelling and not standing face to face would be far less likely to ever have it happen.

True

50ql chain barding seems to block 40-50% of damage, so stood up to two spider attacks and was "only" down to bleeding.

So basically, if you hunt for more advanced targets, sooner or later your horse *will* die without any chance of preventing it? Quite honestly, that sounds like a crap change. Guess I'll go back to grinding taming and take a greenish/raging uni instead.

That in turn would once again change balance in PvP, which is not a good idea.

[11:55:36] Venerable fat Walkingblood kicks Mature starving black wolf pretty hard in the thigh of the left hindleg and hurts it.

My horse is beast.  Needless to say, in a really short hunt, my horse got attacked twice.  86ql chain barding, so it didnt get hurt at all.  Seems more an annoyance than anything.

In less than 10 seconds against a ven champ croc (i was trying to charm it) my horse was down to dying, thankfully I ran out in the last second i had to charm it on foot