Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Artifacts

The problem with artifacts isn't that they don't reset' date=' the problem is that most aren't worth using so they never leave home as intended. Step 1 should be to buff the artifacts. They are meant to be special uber weapons, if you make them special uber weapons they will be used more often and the whole reset thing will no longer be an issue. Something else would have to be decided for the non-pvp artifacts but there are several great ideas in this thread.[/quote']

I was thinking something along these lines-- The artifacts aren't really 'useful' per se.  There is only one that has any constructive purpose, and that in itself is only a relatively minor one, in game terms.  (keeping uniques as pets does provide one useful commodity, but it is not REALLY a game-changer, just something that's really cool and fun to have).  

In fact, the possession of NONE of the current artifacts really has the ability to affect the balance of the game;  they stay locked up because the only purpose they really serve is that of bragging rights.

so, the crown can dominate uniques;  This means it is the only one to see the light of day for any real purpose.  The others aren't altogether more useful than man-made weapons/armor, or priest spells (if they can manage to be cast anyway).  The Orb is too unpredictable to be a reliable combat aid, being as likely to kill you and your allies as anybody else.  The finger?  The eye?  

If the artifacts made a difference in battle.  If they served a real war purpose, then there would be fighting for them.  People would use them in pvp, and opponents would have a real motivation to raid cities to try and take them.  

And attempt to take JK-controlled artifacts is a pretty rare occurring indeed.  Why?  Those who would be inclined to do it lack sufficient incentive.  It simply requires way too much time and effort, way too many resources, too much manpower... and what could be gained in comparison is really quite small.  

The way things currently sit, both sides are far more content to sit in their heavily-protected fortresses and pvp on the perimeters with very little changing over time- MR with its kazillion deed guards and Kyara with its massive dirt wall, and the handful of settlements in between.  

The only time the balance of power has REALLY shifted at all in the wild conflict was, in fact, only as a result of developer intervention.  The introduction of Mol-Rehan, the banning of the Cheaters (who even with their use of modified clients failed to gain any real advantage over the honest players), and major changes to the way various objects and game mechanics work.  

If you want to fix the way things work, then create an incentive for real full-scale conflict; there has to be a really good reason to do it.   making artifacts something truly desirable for more than bragging rights would do that trick.  

As to specific suggestions:  The idea of making the non-combat artifacts only work off-deed might be workable; time limits on artifacts would only mean that people rarely ever bother with them much.  Instead of going to PVP, they'd just wait till it resets and go digging for the one they want.  (your time-limit idea might be a better suggestion for that 'epic' server thingy...)   Time limits would have the opposite of any desirable effect.

You say the crown does not affect pvp but every time I kill a JK he is in drake, I am sure the endless supply influences pvp in that manner.

Ironlion. in one phrase you say people would go trough the extensive 99% impossible procedure of raiding a town to get the  worthwhile artifacts  you describe. but in an other phrase you say they wouldnt go trough the far lesser efford of locating the artifacts after they respawn.

i disagree with the outcome you predict after simply making the artifacts stronger and think it is more logical people will go trough the proces of looking for them from time to time and battling it out there than going trough the proces of a siege

You say the crown does not affect pvp but every time I kill a JK he is in drake, I am sure the endless supply influences pvp in that manner.

I don't agree, and the math does not agree either..

There has been 28x dragons spawned so far from dev's since gold2 was announced.

There has been 3 dragons hatched so far from eggs, considering the mother dragon is still alive, you can call it 2 dragons added to 'armour supply'

This is a increase of just 7%

Or you could say like 50 extra sets. Imo i think the Crown of might is too OP and that its rediculous that you can pump out a dragon every 6 months - Im sure this wasnt a intended feature seeming as its pretty much inpossible to get the Crown of might considering it will be in a cave with 90ql mine door, all re-inforced. In a chest with a 90ql lock inside Kyara inside those huge walls.

Or you could say like 50 extra sets. Imo i think the Crown of might is too OP and that its rediculous that you can pump out a dragon every 6 months - Im sure this wasnt a intended feature seeming as its pretty much inpossible to get the Crown of might considering it will be in a cave with 90ql mine door, all re-inforced. In a chest with a 90ql lock inside Kyara inside those huge walls.

It's not every 6 months.

But anyways, that's why we need to do something about fixing artifacts that's not a kick in the rear for JK, nor MR: http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=50439.0

:)

every 6 months

It's at least double that, and what makes you think we could not do what we are doing now without the crown?

Lmao look at this guy, crown over powered? It already got a nerf  before because people whined about kepping two dragons. Its not overpowered at all. If there was no dragon, would you still say its overpowered?

Personally never used the Crown. Was always held by whomever happened to be an enemy kd over the time Ive played across various maps and villages. Offhand imho the Crown is certainly not under-powered.

Lmao look at this guy, crown over powered? It already got a nerf  before because people whined about kepping two dragons. Its not overpowered at all. If there was no dragon, would you still say its overpowered?

[17:36:49] Failed to contact the bank. Please try later. <-- first time I've ever seen this message as I dropped an item there

[17:42:32] The server is shutting down in 600 seconds. Reason: Fixes to artifacts and server transfers. 10 minutes downtime.

Did you start messin' with stuff while it was still live Rolf? ;)

If stuff goes missing upon restart I'll know where it went :P

Artifacts will now disappear after around a month of use. The current ones will disappear randomly in about 3 weeks. Most artifacts had new functionality added and shorter cooldown.

Artifacts will now disappear after around a month of use. The current ones will disappear randomly in about 3 weeks. Most artifacts had new functionality added and shorter cooldown.

Interesting. Hope this improves them and makes them used more, i hope this includes a server wide message when they reset or only the current owners are even going to notice an artifact has reset itself.

Can't believe he listened to them...

Nah, I can. Bad move!

Imo its a brilliant idea, very fair, makes them move a lot, overall good. Only suggestion i might add is make a server wide event message so that everyone knows rather than just those holding them.

After all the ideas that have been suggested to you Rolf, why do you still just simply reset them?

After the dragon in Kyara is undommed, will the reset on artis become yearly rather then monthly?

Random resets will NOT work. Who the hell will care enough to raid a village for them when they could just go "Oh, why don't we just wait another month until they reset?"

It's completely pointless, and I don't know why people can't see that.

The dev bashing and swearing would be good too.

You're completely one to talk, sugar.

It is a fine idea, it means their will be monthly skirmishes to obtain them and people will want to use them as much as possible, plus they got buffed, win all the way around.

Random resets will NOT work. Who the hell will care enough to raid a village for them when they could just go "Oh, why don't we just wait another month until they reset?"

It's completely pointless, and I don't know why people can't see that.

The dev bashing and swearing would be good too.

You're completely one to talk, sugar.

in a way i can see what your saying... but i think this sytem is good for now however the re spawn rate may need a tweak...

It is a fine idea, it means their will be monthly skirmishes to obtain them and people will want to use them as much as possible, plus they got buffed, win all the way around.

Nobody's going to bother searching for artifacts knowing that their 10,000 favor per each artifact is going to be just thrown down the drain a few months later after they find it.

Rolf, are you ever going to tell us how the artifacts work, or are you going to wait until after they reset to tell everyone how useful they are?

Overall see how it goes and tweak what needs tweaking. Personally always enjoyed the tinkering and discovery phase of Wurm.