Spacy

Snipe Rule redux

So, for those not familiar with the old snipe rule - basically if a bunch of people "sniped" a person in game, they got muted for a period of time.

Obvious abuse mechanics are what caused it to be removed from the game.

Well, my suggestion is to bring it back, but just to the forums.  

If a person had enough "snipes", which really amount to reported posts on the forums - even if they haven't necessarily broken any of the rules - the form mod team can issue a Forum Mute to the person.

Sure, it has the same obvious potential for abuse - but forum warrior isn't the same as being in the game itself (though I suspect some view being the forum warrior as more of a game than the game is...)

Thunks?

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

It was removed from the game because it was abused.

It will be abused in the forums as well.

Big big problem, imo, to mute someone that did not break any rules, just because a group of people dislike/disagree.

I will not give this a -1.

I ll give it a Heck no!

• Like 4

too much potential for abuse with auctions, if you getting triggered with forum posts or suggestions just don't look at them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

These types of functions normally lead to abuse so I would prefer not to see it in use.

Inside jokes between friends (or communities such as the skirmish threads etc) are already reported as 'Trolling' by the moderation staff themselves as they are unaware of the culture/jokes/relationships  between said players, having another set of third parties having access to a function like this does not sound positive to me.

Great suggestion but I do think I would -1 this one.

Edited by Blazecraze

This suggestion make me think that they get what they have wanted, no matter this suggestion will be back or not.

Do u get what u want?

Firm no.

Because

5 hours ago, Spacy said:

Obvious abuse mechanics are what caused it to be removed from the game.

and

5 hours ago, Spacy said:

Sure, it has the same obvious potential for abuse

"Your reputation is your own" is enough of a license for cyberbullying, it can only be made worse by actually providing tools for it as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, topkos said:

It was removed from the game because it was abused.

Was it?

• Like 1

What can normal people do vs darnok avalanches with controversial "suggestions" unrelated to game theme, etc.. then?

Ignore feature does nothing.. it tells you - peak content is this(based on replies to the thread).. it's from that name.. you still see it's most active topic and with nothing else happening or anything else to read.. you'd naturally peek and probably reply or frown either way..

But do you know that Steam offers possibility of making discussion in a similar way to forum?

So if anyone wants to do harm, they will do so, regardless of how funny forum rules are 😉

1 hour ago, Votip said:

Was it?

Wasn’t it ?

The 'ignore' mechanism built into the forum is probably the right solution for this.  I have found it useful for filtering out the responses of individuals that have demonstrated time and again that they have almost nothing useful to add to a discussion.

nIcaq49.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, topkos said:

Wasn’t it ?

i dont remember single case when it was abused

2 hours ago, Sidereal said:

The 'ignore' mechanism built into the forum is probably the right solution for this.  I have found it useful for filtering out the responses of individuals that have demonstrated time and again that they have almost nothing useful to add to a discussion.

nIcaq49.png

We had some odd messy content added because nobody early on provided proper feedback what it could affect, etc..

Sadly.. it's required to voice opinions early on.. 🙄and then it's assumed toxic if you don't automatically accept every idea and constructive criticism is harassment, etc.. but that's another normal topic, but yes.. ignoring does not work.

On top, ignoring somebody doesn't do much if the only active forum topic is from somebody you ignored and keeps showing up as something new with nothing else on the forums for a long time.

There must be better way to provide feedback to dev considered ideas, so far it's far from these lands, and we all lose our time to provide feedback to things never getting attention, and missing to share feedback on things appointed to be adopted as content.

• Like 1

A middle ground is to reintroduce downvote, especially for the suggestions section. A massive downvoted idea needs no explanation, but still those that have arguments for can deploy them. The threads there will be cleaner with less clutter.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rustblade said:

A middle ground is to reintroduce downvote, especially for the suggestions section. A massive downvoted idea needs no explanation, but still those that have arguments for can deploy them. The threads there will be cleaner with less clutter.

Doesn't prevent griefing with groups to up/down vote things on demand, nothing easier, you ask your alliance with 20-40 people to vote and boom, your topic is on top always, its that "fair" or reasonable for content visibility?

Posted (edited)

I'm not proposing to hide contend and threads with the downvotes. 'Downvotes' will simply mark a proposal/thread as unpopular and spare us the time to respond and read 3 pages long threads of every low quality and poor thought proposal. Proposals that require a proper reply won't be affected.

Edit: Something close to "not approved" rather than "dislike"

Edit2: To clarify even further, I won't have to reply to a really bad proposal when I can just "disapprove", and you won't have to read mine captain obvious and other's  responses in a 3-page-long thread on a silly proposal.

Edit3: You simply read the OP and see the likes and 'not approvals', nothing fancy about it, just fewer comments on bad proposals.

Edited by Rustblade
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd much rather see an activity listing where cold topics that don't get many views, likes or comments (low activity overall) stop staying above slightly older topics that have higher recent activity in one way or another. 

Right now whatever gets the most recent comment jumps straight to the top. 

Whatever is newest is pushed to the top while whatever is a bit older gets pushed aside regardless of how hot the topic was overall very recently. 

We need a more fluid system that doesn't only rely on the latest topic or latest comment to move topics up and down, but also relies on both current and total activity to move topics up and down. 

On a side note; if you don't like a topic, don't comment on it making it hotter. Use your willpower to refrain from commenting and let it die.

Edited by Simyaci
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rustblade said:

No, that is still very easy to manipulate and abuse.  A little more transparent, but still open to manipulation

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

No, that is still very easy to manipulate and abuse.  A little more transparent, but still open to manipulation

For a proposal to pass, likes and dislikes alone mean absolutely nothing. I speculate though that it may help *remove some unnecessary responses and clutter, especially on low quality proposals. I may be wrong though.

*in the sense that there will be only a "disapprove" click and not a post reply

Edit: "unconvinced" may be a more neutral word instead of "disapprove/dislike", or something similar I guess

Edited by Rustblade
  • Like 1

Obvious issues are obvious.  

The purpose of this thread isn't really to suggest snipe comes back.  It is to try to toss out ideas to counter the problem of people posting stuff that although it doesn't violate any game or forum rules, doesn't actually belong on the forums as it is so outside context.   One or two of these ideas (my own of getting airships in, for example) are no big deal - they highlight a problem with the mechanics of the game and try to come up with a solution, and offer a place to brainstorm and come up with other ideas.  I still have no good ideas for climbing the cliffs of xan to get to a tiny peak area to dig up a treasure - other than climbing ropes or airships - and the problem still exists.  

This isn't always the case, however.   How can this be addressed without violating rights or opening up mechanics for abuse?

4 minutes ago, Spacy said:

Obvious issues are obvious.  

The purpose of this thread isn't really to suggest snipe comes back.  It is to try to toss out ideas to counter the problem of people posting stuff that although it doesn't violate any game or forum rules, doesn't actually belong on the forums as it is so outside context.   One or two of these ideas (my own of getting airships in, for example) are no big deal - they highlight a problem with the mechanics of the game and try to come up with a solution, and offer a place to brainstorm and come up with other ideas.  I still have no good ideas for climbing the cliffs of xan to get to a tiny peak area to dig up a treasure - other than climbing ropes or airships - and the problem still exists.  

This isn't always the case, however.   How can this be addressed without violating rights or opening up mechanics for abuse?

Like what?

Maybe explain the problem to polish adequate solution alone or with feedback from others?

There ware plenty of discussion systems, forums probably have a plugin, etc.. using some measurements which could help?

Brainstorming:

A good block feature where you can totally hide another user topics and comments have been a challenge for many forums, and going beyond the actual Ignore function requires some plugins of sorts, that is well beyond my knowledge, and most forums decided not to implement. Many also believe is unethical, and unkind.

The voted down and up in 2024 is seen as very hurtful to other peoples feelings, ain’t it?

So, again, just brainstorming, I don’t consider myself an authority on anything:

1) Make forum accounts connected to game accounts, make Profile public, and the names of any alts under that email public also. Your reputation in the forum should follow you in game, and viceversa.

2) Make some sub forums premium only.

Example: Free players read it all but only post in subforums like recruitment, and market.

3) Limit the amount of topics any user can create during a time period.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, topkos said:

Brainstorming:

A good block feature where you can totally hide another user topics and comments have been a challenge for many forums, and going beyond the actual Ignore function requires some plugins of sorts, that is well beyond my knowledge, and most forums decided not to implement. Many also believe is unethical, and unkind.

The voted down and up in 2024 is seen as very hurtful to other peoples feelings, ain’t it?

So, again, just brainstorming, I don’t consider myself an authority on anything:

1) Make forum accounts connected to game accounts, make Profile public, and the names of any alts under that email public also. Your reputation in the forum should follow you in game, and viceversa.

2) Make some sub forums premium only.

Example: Free players read it all but only post in subforums like recruitment, and market.

3) Limit the amount of topics any user can create during a time period.

Cheers

that wont happen because of pve/pvp stuff and the other bit with sketchy trading/storage alts/exploration alts or w/e other kind of alts exist

on top main/alts.. some get shared by tos to whatever number or players or beyond limitation, so again .. hard to apply strict rule and tracking of accounts

forum's main purpose is news/comments and other side of the deal.. since the game lacks reporting/ticket system, this is the only way, if you have a problem or have found a bug you're sent to forums, ingame tickets solve miniscule part of the issues, actual problems are reported here(bugs)

even prem players barely read/write in the forums, most feedback is not exactly answered to be worth much, separating it .. will just make all read over a wall two separate biomes and what either have, and the game already have near no players who write to begin with..

prem account and limited posts will just mean, one can write more with alts, vote, post, reply, etc.. changes absolutely nothing for the better