McGarnicle

Make Holiday Gifts NOT Skins

I really liked the sleigh as a gift for Christmas. It would be awesome if more of the holiday gifts were like this. The Valentines gift would have been better as just an item that you can collect rather than a skin that you need to apply to a crafted item. 

• Like 12
  • Cat 1

Yeah, would be so much more exciting if it followed a creative approach like the one for Christmas. Searching for toy factory parts, sending them through the Christmas tree... it was nice. Even checking the stockings for daily gifts was nicer. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the skin approach.

Edited by Kian
  • Like 1

I'd rather get new content.. than timed unique content like skins and items.

why..

you only get to have such if you play at the time it happens, you only get to bulk hoard many if you run many alts or early on.. you buy all you could claw for cheap.. to resell xyz months later for several times.. profits.

This is not content.. it's ok as event *something*, but if we get new items into the game and this is the only way... this is horrible practice.

• Like 1

Searching for stuff is fun in theory - In practice it takes too long, which means that some people who are eligible for a gift don't get to actually enjoy it. I didn't get to assemble my Christmas stuff until after Christmas was well and truly over, which was a bit of a bummer since they were all holiday themed. I appreciate all the effort that went into the event: It was a really good idea, and it was well executed. It was just too much, and took up too much time (especially in combination with the archaeology fragment hunting).

I don't mind the skin approach - Either skin or solid items is fine by me.

flexibility like that is good.. and long ago.. we had a VERY TIGHT timeframe to pickup xmas gift or lose it, if some recall it.. it was around 3 days.. (if I recall right..), just the days around xmas itself;

what I mean is...

maybe we could use event feature ... get event item and do archaeology with it.. and get only event items.. or anything of the sort.. if it's event chasing 'bits'...

but I had something else in mind.. I'd rather get craftable new items to get into the game permanently.. enough of the timed things to collect once upon a time

51 minutes ago, Aeris said:

Searching for stuff is fun in theory - In practice it takes too long, which means that some people who are eligible for a gift don't get to actually enjoy it. I didn't get to assemble my Christmas stuff until after Christmas was well and truly over, which was a bit of a bummer since they were all holiday themed. I appreciate all the effort that went into the event: It was a really good idea, and it was well executed. It was just too much, and took up too much time (especially in combination with the archaeology fragment hunting).

I don't mind the skin approach - Either skin or solid items is fine by me.

Thats becouse they start the event 1 day before and it last way beyond christmas, wich in my mind is stupid as you in theory is gathering new deco for christmas the year after, same with halloween, so if they started earlier instead, everyone would had better time, and they got to enjoy it on the day.

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

why..

you only get to have such if you play at the time it happens, you only get to bulk hoard many if you run many alts or early on.. you buy all you could claw for cheap.. to resell xyz months later for several times.. profits.

This is not content.. it's ok as event *something*, but if we get new items into the game and this is the only way... this is horrible practice.

i think its good that we get some special items in the game, this is prob nothing that takes away mutch dev times, and seasonal event is important. however it would be nice with some more craftable items aswell.

I recall seeing a talk once about the psychology of mobile games and part of that was to give players more reasons to interact with the cash shop 

I can see the similarities between that and all these recent gifts forcing a player to open the silver store.

• Like 6

On 14/02/2024 at 00:15, McGarnicle said:

I really liked the sleigh as a gift for Christmas. It would be awesome if more of the holiday gifts were like this. The Valentines gift would have been better as just an item that you can collect rather than a skin that you need to apply to a crafted item. 

+1 this goes into the LONG list of thing that was made a skin instead of a new item or new craftable item. skins are NOT a good solution for most things. specialy deco items, its lazy and sometimes even "malicious"

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SweetSerenade said:

to give players more reasons to interact with the cash shop 

You hit the nail on the head there...

and it works .. but when I went to the store to collect the gift, I searched through the whole shop and did not find any other 'romantic' goods on sale whatsoever (unless you happen to be in love with gnomes), so maybe an opportunity was missed.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1

Yesterday, a player asked in CA Help where the silver store is, he probably didn't purchase anything this time, but now he knows where the store is and what it sells. It will be "easier"  and with less "friction" to make future purchases for many players.

• Like 1

As a business module i certainly understand the skin policy.  Wurm is still new regarding skins and silver store, especially regarding the silver store. Next Valentines we - might - see an item instead of a skin, this years Valentines skin can then be placed in the silver store too, it all makes sense.

That said I hope the future will bring more items too, preferably items thats useful on their own such as Large Pantry Cupboard. We have recently seen other items too,  such as the Paper Mask and the Decorative Ship, but while they both can be used on their own, their real usefulness is together with skins.

Edited by Elrohiir

NGL I like the skin thing, I get to apply it to an item that can be made rare+ or may already have unique sentimental value to me. 

That's kind of what I like about them, it ties in the inherent "craft the items" with still having a unique look. 

TL;DR I prefer the skins because then the items are still made by me/people and not just gifted

• Like 1

i think it's nice to have both types of items. it was fun at xmas , but only because I didnt have my kids, i had the 4-5 hrs per day to grind and work on the items.  but if i didn't i would not have been happy. logging in to find nothing after building the tree.  having a skin item in addition to the grinding type ones would have been nice too.  we have many play styles. and should cater to them all in some ways. of course i would give better rewards to the grinding ones vs just log in and get a skin.  but to punish those who dont have the time every event to get nothing...  do both is my suggestion

18 hours ago, Rustblade said:

Yesterday, a player asked in CA Help where the silver store is, he probably didn't purchase anything this time, but now he knows where the store is and what it sells. It will be "easier"  and with less "friction" to make future purchases for many players.

That was me - I got one valentine skin but did not look at the rest of the store as feel it should have been a gift or craftable rather than a skin. 

I am not an active player anymore because of some of the decisions made in the last few years.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 3:52 PM, Finnn said:

This! I agree with OP that the Christmas event was more fun because it involved some actual gameplay, but I still wish the seasonal items were given as recipes. I can't stand how almost everything new is a limited collector's item now.

Most skin tokens just sit in my bags cause I'm too reluctant to use them, since they're basically irreplaceable. So I don't even get new items from these events, just some more yellow dots in my inventory.

• Like 1

Items not skins, I want function not veneer

• Like 1