Army

Resource Nodes Update Improvements

i have seen them and looted them aplenty in cave canals around indy, release, and celebration recently just have to get lucky to be the first to pass through after they spawn

Thank you, devs, for responding to player feedback by implementing an option to toggle node rendering. I believe this is a reasonable compromise.

Indeed, some issues have been addressed, thanks for. But: A lot is left to desire.

As Etherdrifter explained, free players are widely left in the cold, which also hits new players to a considerable extent.

Healing remains a problem. While availability of cotton was well solved (there are many sources of cotton, and its likelihood is raised when wounded), all other aspects of healing are wanting.

This reaffirms the sad impression that developers are quite remote from players' experience and likely to listen to fans and cheerleaders only while critics are often attacked by the latter.

In particular, healing covers remain a problem: The easiest to obtain better ingredients, like rosemary and lovage, exist in few nodes only, even worse with stronger ingredients like black mushrooms.

Worst of all is the availability of garlic which is required for farmers' salve, an indispensible healing agent for poisoning damage which e.g. every curious new player suffers from when trying to open bee hives. Frankly, due to the obscenity of coerced drunkenness, I have not much harvested nodes, but certainly in excess of 250 nodes, mainly botanizing, resulting in over 2000 harvested items. Exactly 2 thereof were garlic, though I certainly have no difficulty restriction to obtain any of the items.

Garlic should be part of much more nodes, maybe desert weed, animal burrow, alpine brush, mints, and a few more.

That is nonsense, given that I harvested a double digit number of those nodes resulting in no more than 2 garlic. Even if the 7 herbs and vegs would have equal chances to appear, which they do not seem to have (mostly onions, carrots, potatoes, or herbs), it would be no more than a 14% chance in a node occurring on tundra, steppe, and woodland only. This kneejerk attitude of denial attempting to badmouth proposals for improvement by the fandom crowd is boring and annoying. It is about improving the system, so calm down.

Edited by Ekcin

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

That is nonsense, given that I harvested a double digit number of those nodes resulting in no more than 2 garlic. Even if the 7 herbs and vegs would have equal chances to appear, which they do not seem to have (mostly onions, carrots, potatoes, or herbs), it would be no more than a 14% chance in a node occurring on tundra, steppe, and woodland only. This kneejerk attitude of denial attempting to badmouth proposals for improvement by the fandom crowd is boring and annoying. It is about improving the system, so calm down.

Take your advice maybe, you seem like a pretty toxic poster.

All the guy said was the roots & bulbs give garlic and he is right they do. High skill might reflect on what your getting also vs someone with lower skill.

I consider it toxic when at a constructive criticism someone jumps out of the bushes to deny or belittle the critique. That is unconstructive and does not help anyone.

Garlic is one resource out of seven in a single node occurring in woodlands, concurring with 16 other nodes, tundra, concurring with 7 other nodes, and steppe, concurring with 10 other nodes. And definitely garlic does not show up everytime wood and bulbs node is harvested, to my experience not even guaranteed once in five (this may be an outlier of course, and needs further research).

This means: Garlic, an important resource for healing, is hard to get in resource nodes. I can say than in the old system, something between three and seven percent of the yield approximately was garlic in grass, bushes and forest. It should be made available in more nodes.

Honestly Ekcin you've moved the goalposts on what you don't like about this system multiple times and I get that, it's okay to dislike the system! 

That said, there's been a LOT of positive tweaks and adjustments based on feedback and the devs have shown willingness to work on the system, so perhaps toning down the hostility towards other players about it all would lead to more constructive discussion the devs can act on.

also Garlic is a farming resource, so apart from needing only a couple at the very start of a play to plant it's not actually that necessary for healing. 

Other foraged/botanised potency 2 healing items are:

• Acorns
  • Barley
  • Brown mushroom
  • Mint
  • Sassafras
  • Turmeric

I think it's okay 

Edited by Archaed
Added other foraged potency 2 items
  • Like 3

As repeatedly said, I do dislike the destruction of (tile based) foraging and botanizing, not the resource nodes proper, and I only deeply despise the broken "feature" of coercion into drunkenness. Therefore, of course my "goalposts have shifted", I want to do what this thread says, proposing improvements and amendments to a system we have to live with. What else do you expect .. ok I know, you dislike my opinion and want to mute it. Your choice. 

And yes, every herb and veg available by the nodes can be sown on tiles or planters, so what is the point, that foraging and botanizing are useless except for the few special items the nodes rarely offer, and getting some coins here and then? And do you think that new players do not deserve potency 4 or 5 covers, so it is ok to restrict them to power 4 not 16 (rosemary/lovage) or better?

The original purpose of foraging and botanizing, as I understood and experienced it, was to introduce new players into the world of items, mainly for farming and gardening, and offer useful resources for start (branch, iron rock), and healing. They could always be obtained otherwise unless on completely virgin lands (like Jackal).

That said, I want to come back to the topic of the thread, namely what is wanting, could be improved or optimized. And indeed, my proposal is to make garlic more available.

Edited by Ekcin

The only point I can agree with (and thats because it kida hits me on a personal note) is the requirement of alcohol to get 90 in both skills.

I have goten close to 60 with both skills during the event period, from what I have read past 70 the gain will drop so hard, that it will be impossible to gain skill in a way that respects my playing time and is even remotely worth the hassle or time investment, for me these skills have thus been dead in the water.

Now we *have to* use alcohol to get anywhere, which is bad if you have had a bad encounter with this drug and try to stay away from it in any means.

It's fine if others can enjoy it, personally I tried it, but specially due the fact that the effect makes you talk like a drunk it comes way to close to RL for my taste.

Wurm goes as far as renaming hemp to wemp, but yea alcohol is fine, lets force it onto people.

My personal issues with it aside, it is bad game design to force people into something that in return makes them unable to chat properly in a MMO, where many people interact with others - unless the whole system was planned with the idea in mind that Foragers and Botanizers must be hermits and thus never chat to begin with.

"You wanna get Forage and Botanize to 90? Well, don't expect to chat with anyone when you grind the skill! You could not trade properly while being drunk anyhow..."

That "logic" if I want to go as far to call it that, is what irks me about it.

And for me that is the only bad point about the system and unless that is changed, I simply will not use it anymore.

I rather not use a skill than being forced into using alcohol if I want it at 90 someday.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ekcin said:

And indeed, my proposal is to make garlic more available.

Do the vampires deserve it?

• Like 1

@Milkdrop: It is my point too that the alcohol stuff is the worst misstep. and I agree to every or your reasoning. Yet it was, in my impression, a bandaid taken in despair when the creator recognized that the difficulty scheme was botched. I think solutions must be found, and hope that they will be.

When I am "ranting" it is not to badmouth the new system, but to find ways to improve flaws. That said, I found out that the occurrence of garlic when botanizing root and bulb nodes is better than my first experiences suggested. Out of the last 8 of those bulbs I botanized, 4 produced garlic, one of them even 2, so my negative experience was obviously RNG related. Still that kind of nodes is quite rare, and more occurrences of garlic would be good. 

Next thing, as we are in winter, are snowballs. The piles now yield 8 snowballs each. The number of piles I found was underwhelming, 12 piles in a 150x200 ca. area between my deed and Vrock Landing. That may be due to the early winter, just start of week 3 Silence, at that time snowballs were always sparse. So let us wait and check.

But iceboxes with all 99ql seem to be a matter of the past. The distribution from 104 snowballs (1 pile collected earlier the day) is as following:

99+   :    4x (best 99.96)

95-99:  19x

90-94:  24x

80-89:  31x

70-79:  24x

64-70:    2x

One thing I much appreciate is that the visuals of the nodes change with the winter season. Nodes look snow covered, or with a layer of ice on them. the sunflowers of the wildflowers node are dried up and icy, very carefully and athmospherically designed. Thanks for.

Your sub 80q snowballs will not last to the next year. I'm still disappointed this was changed, I've not made any food since this update went live.

Edited by GavinMcStine
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Milkdrop said:

My personal issues with it aside, it is bad game design to force people into something that in return makes them unable to chat properly in a MMO

This just made me chuckle a little, because of the whole composition of the sentence. Fact is, players in every other MMO than Wurm use headsets at all times.

Here in Wurm we are a bit different, bless us. I don't want to use headset either. But the way I see it, a change that makes people engage a bit more actively with the game is a good change for Wurm. Apart from the visual revolution which has been fantastic.

Also I am confused: if the old system was so wonderful for skilling up, and the skill was so important to you - why were you not over 60 *before* the change. In the new system, I find getting from 0 to 50 is quite easy.

13 hours ago, GavinMcStine said:

Your sub 80q snowballs will not last to the next year. I'm still disappointed this was changed, I've not made any food since this update went live

I am not sure. As far as I heard, snowball ql should have a lesser impact on icebox decay. Frankly, I am not sure about (maybe a dev may comment), but if so, also lower ql snowballs may have a chance to survive. I shall test that (results will take a Wurm year at minimum 😎).

Indeed there has been a major larder nerf last year, long before the resource nodes. Snowballs lasting in excess of 2 years before barely made a year now. Sadly that misstep has not been reverted too.

I shall continue reporting about snowball gathering this winter :) .

Edited by Ekcin

1 hour ago, Cista said:

This just made me chuckle a little, because of the whole composition of the sentence. Fact is, players in every other MMO than Wurm use headsets at all times.

Dang, I had written something akin to "unless we are supposed to use Discord like in other MMOs to get content done", but felt it was a bit to much and removed it again. :D

• Like 1

Next snowball report :):

The number of piles seems to have considerably increased in week 3 Silence, especially in the flat area inside Vrock Landing starter town. Generally, there seem to be more piles on flat areas, on pavement, steppe, tundra, sand, grass. In tree areas, they are worse visible, moreover, but also more sparse. Still, the area roamed was huge, from upper G13 to southern border to H13, on average 100-180 wide. In a more populated area this may be an issue, but let us wait for what was once the core snowball season, and the aftermath into spring.Two annoying things: First, even the initial timer of 16s is too long, when stamina is down due to riding or driving, it gets even longer, just as any timer. As snowball collecting does not give any skill (?), this might be thought over. Second, when a mob attacks, collecting is canceled, same as with other nodes, and the pile gone. Maybe collecting should be reentrant.

Now the results. Out of 405 snowballs

99+   :   20x (best 99.97)

95-99:   80x

90-94:   83x

80-89: 119x

70-79:   72x

65-70:   23x

58-64:     8x (1x58)

As a result, snow collection appears tedious albeit not impossible. But goodbye ql99 as a rule, when downscaling to 90+ or 95+ a larder icebox may still be equipped. Whether or not lower ql does the job too, will be matter of further scrutiny.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

Additionally, I have to again raise my issues with the difficulty of the system. 

The system is designed with the need to use alcohol in higher skills, which is fundamentally flawed. Alcohol use should not be a feature that is required to gain skill. It's always been a system that some min-maxers have been able to tweak to fine tune their experience gain which is fine, but making it integral to gaining any skill at higher levels is damaging the entire mechanic from an optics standpoint. There's plenty of reasons to feel uncomfortable using alcohol in the game, from not wanting to micromanage alcohol levels, the degraded chat experience with alcohol hic's and burps, to a general dislike of alcohol for personal reasons. 

I strongly suggest the skillgain for this system be shifted from a set difficulty as is current to become a dynamic one based on the players existing skill levels akin to forestry. While the forestry system has some issues re:pruning, foraging and botanising do not have "failed actions" in the same sense, and even an action that fails will generate a resource. 

Please do consider this, as the current system locks out an incredibly promising system from being one that can be grinded by any player other than hardcore min-maxers

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

higher skills

What is this mysterious "higher skills"? What level can I expect to reach?

On 1/14/2024 at 1:40 AM, Archaed said:

Also Garlic is a farming resource, so apart from needing only a couple at the very start of a play to plant it's not actually that necessary for healing. 

Other foraged/botanised potency 2 healing items are:

• Acorns
  • Barley
  • Brown mushroom
  • Mint
  • Sassafras
  • Turmeric

I think it's okay 

Farmers salve is a lightweight alternative to bandages made with garlic and fat, it focuses on poison and blunt damage and is something every free player keeps hold of (as well as a common tool for travelling healers).

1 garlic = 10 uses (light) or 5 uses (medium) at 0.1kg, which is vital when you MUST carry all you own for fear of a decay tick.  The QL being capped by the fat QL also means making it at high QL is possible even for free players.

A lot of new players find it useful (I used to mix it up often when wurm had a lot of new players), mostly because it heals those early game bumps.

I'd say garlic is a healer's item more than a farmer's one!

• Like 1

Am I the last of the sober botanists?

Do all who would follow the path of foraging have to get drunk on a daily basis to achieve the same thing?

What kind of future are we leaving for those who come after us... 

• Like 4

Recently, I am harvesting nodes for resources only, meaning very sparsely mainly to research the nodes, or for the chance of special resources. I categorically refuse getting drunk.

Edited by Ekcin

So I’m I right in assuming that filling our larders with 100ql snowballs is no longer feasible? I feel sorry for those without magic chests.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cista said:

What is this mysterious "higher skills"? What level can I expect to reach?

Hard to say, as I only grinded botanising and not foraging. at 86 botanizing I will get no skill from botanising without the use of alcohol, and this is due to every node being extraordinarily easy. Foraging is 39 and I do gain skill from foraging sober. 

This system is like havingh a 50ql pickaxe and only being able to grind mining by mining rock, and requiring alcohol to change the difficulty 

• Like 2