Army

Resource Nodes Update Improvements

After some more forage/botanize it is sadly not only mob attacking cancel the action immediately but also if I change fight stance.

Please change it to the old way where attacking mobs did not affect the forage/botanize action - no issues that way as of course if I'm in danger I can still cancel the timer manually.

With a pair of COC gloves and a lot of wine (50-60ish alcohol level, hello next morning :P ) the skillgain is decent in the range of 70 skill.

It is good fun to find awkward items in the flotsams and monser camps.

Edited by Jaz

11 minutes ago, Jaz said:

After some more forage/botanize it is sadly not only mob attacking cancel the action immediately but also if I change fight stance.

I think it only cancels if you actually receive a hit. I've had mobs try to hit me while harvesting and that didn't stop it.

14 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

I think it only cancels if you actually receive a hit. I've had mobs try to hit me while harvesting and that didn't stop it.

No - as soon as the combat window shows up it cancels the action for me. Even the weakest mobs who are very unlikely to hit me at all.

As you can see from the spoiler as soon as the bear engages my toon stopped collecting stuff but went into the fight instead, and I was the first to attack not even a failed attack attempt is logged from the bear. I would collect 5-7 items from any node.

Spoiler

[2023-12-17] [15:23:07] You start to botanize in the desert weeds.
[2023-12-17] [15:23:14] You find some fennel plant.
[2023-12-17] [15:23:22] You find some cotton.
[2023-12-17] [15:23:30] You find some mixed grass.
[2023-12-17] [15:23:31] Aged lurking black bear moves in to attack you.
[2023-12-17] [15:23:35] Aged lurking black bear barely evades the blow to the stomach.

Anyways with the old system even hits did not cancel the action which is surely the preferred way, it is just a single keypress to abandon the action in case of real danger.

Strange thing is that two times out of many though the action went through instead. I think both were foraging actions not botanizing and both were goblins. I'll keep an eye on those occassions.

Edited by Jaz

seems to be both, some rng event happens when it cancels the action, some nodes are significantly more rare than other and sucks to find something and lose whatever chance or hope you had to loot anything, even if 99.9999999% you'd get just trash like 999999.99...% of the time.. you still walked to the node to try your luck but it's lost due some rat/mt.lion/etc... past 70-90 FS and good gear anyone could take a hit or 2-3.. from a troll or some champ, maybe that's just the 70+bstr.. still currently it's very rng-ish and unclear what cancels the action when a player gathers something and something attacks the player and cancels the action, there's some annoyance when this happens with rare nodes

--edit

hh-cart aggro does not stop the action btw.. so actual hit from player/enemy could be the cause for the action to break, normal enemies cause the action to stop, hhs to aggro on the player but the player at best can block an attack, or dodge, can't attack back, if that's of any help to narrow the cause

Edited by Finnn

The weekly restart (and the resource nodes improvements) has been postponed to Friday, the 22nd December 2023.

The Christmas event patch will be implemented on the same day. Details for the Christmas event will follow soon in a dedicated announcement.

• Like 10

So we are betrayed one week more from the announced changes in resource nodes. Nice xmas event ..

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

So we are betrayed one week more from the announced changes in resource nodes. Nice xmas event ..

Are you aware that weeks have seven days? This delay is three days, which is a bit less than half a week.

The hover outline makes it way more difficult to find monsters the usual way.

16 hours ago, Army said:

The weekly restart (and the resource nodes improvements) has been postponed to Friday, the 22nd December 2023.

The Christmas event patch will be implemented on the same day. Details for the Christmas event will follow soon in a dedicated announcement.

Thanks for letting us know. Looking forward to the Christmas event.

• Like 1

Hi! Very cool update, i luv it! but the servers is very laggy since the Resource Nodes. It playable but we can notice a big slowdown during ingame. Thank you !!

On 12/19/2023 at 5:40 PM, Aexies said:

Hi! Very cool update, i luv it! but the servers is very laggy since the Resource Nodes. It playable but we can notice a big slowdown during ingame. Thank you !!

Can't say I have any slowdown or increased lag since the change. Maybe some of your graphic settings need adjustment. Sadly, for full FPS and max settings it needs a very modern and max equipped PC, even then it is hard to achieve on Linux.

My only lag with the new Resource Nodes systems is at the very end of the forage/botanize action, there's a lag when it's obtaining the final item and making the node disappear from the view.

Perhaps that's what Aexies is talking about?

No lag otherwise in normal gameplay.

On 12/18/2023 at 10:39 PM, Army said:

I see the Christmas event patch notes are up, but not yet in forum. The don't seem to include any mention of the resource node update being included in this update. Hopefully this is just an oversight in the creation of the notes.

Edited by Wulfmaer

38 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

I see the Christmas event patch notes are up, but not yet in forum. The don't seem to include any mention of the resource node update being included in this update. Hopefully this is just an oversight in the creation of the notes.

Fourth item under "Server Changelog".

4 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

Fourth item under "Server Changelog".

How did I miss that? Must be going blind. Thanks

Edited by Wulfmaer

Out of 10 backpacks full of stuff, I'm now the proud owner of one single fresh nutmeg, 3 fresh sassafras, and 6 fresh nettles. Might as well make them growable in pottery planters instead, to get rid of this useless imbalance.

• Like 2

Tropical nodes are very uncommon. Probably too uncommon.

Here's the result of going from the server's "equator" north:

eZUKrId.jpg

• Like 1

I tried foraging and botanizing for about an hour yesterday. Harvesting nodes from cart works smoothly, with a crate and six rafts it is possible even to sort out the trash to some extent (where before a backpack and 5 satchels did it but so what). Skill gain was 000136 for botanizing and 000157 for foraging in about an hour, compared to 000250+ in both before in 25-30 minutes (food affi, no SB), clearly a nerf, but sustainable.

What makes it a no go, is drunkenness. Maybe it is not so bad for players without allies, friends, chat and trade partners, but the "funny" mutilation of communication is painful, and I am no masochist. The condition lasts well 30-40 minutes beyond the harvesting. So, until the devs found a remedy against that outrage, foraging and botanizing, sadly, are done for me. Certainly it does not bother those who "advise" to shut up and leave Wurm, but I suspect I am not the only one.

Edited by Red_
Removed word "autistic"

17 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I tried foraging and botanizing for about an hour yesterday. Harvesting nodes from cart works smoothly, with a crate and six rafts it is possible even to sort out the trash to some extent (where before a backpack and 5 satchels did it but so what). Skill gain was 000136 for botanizing and 000157 for foraging in about an hour, compared to 000250+ in both before in 25-30 minutes (food affi, no SB), clearly a nerf, but sustainable.

What makes it a no go, is drunkenness. Maybe it is not so bad for players without allies, friends, chat and trade partners, but the "funny" mutilation of communication is painful, and I am no masochist. The condition lasts well 30-40 minutes beyond the harvesting. So, until the devs found a remedy against that outrage, foraging and botanizing, sadly, are done for me. Certainly it does not bother those who "advise" to shut up and leave Wurm, but I suspect I am not the only one.

Make or use an alt to talk on :)

Edited by Red_
Quote cleanup

ignore the meat.. wild life tends to be very curious about the nodes.. and ends up fsb'd

5 hours ago, necroe said:

Make or use an alt to talk on :)

Sure. Let us recall: Resource nodes destroyed for/bot skill gain at higher levels due to broken difficulty concept. As a bandaid, drunkenness was proposed. Unfortunately, drunkenness cripples communication. As a bandaid, communication alts are proposed. Well, always an alt for all servers, alliances, friend lists? What will be the bandaid for that, a private client farm?

I mean, thanks for the hint (I was aware, but though). But somehow, it is the broken design requiring fix, not just other bandaids.

So you can't use a communication alt to avoid mute from a chat moderator but you have to use a communication alt because it is now almost mandatory to have your main character drunk at all times? 

10 minutes ago, Simyaci said:

So you can't use a communication alt to avoid mute from a chat moderator but you have to use a communication alt because it is now almost mandatory to have your main character drunk at all times? 

I haven't been drunk in Wurm ever. That doesn't make me autistic like the troll above you claims, it just makes me a player who couldn't care less about grinding or increasing my e-peen with titles.

If alcohol is a requirement to get skill gain above 70 in foraging/botanizing, then the devs should definitely look into that. That is a poor design choice.

• Like 3

oh I don't mind.. if I am out and trying the thing.. and stoned hard on alcohol like a plank, see nothing, feel nothing, hard to fight properly, talk... and having to type(resend) same sentence 5 times in a row in global channels, CA-help, etc.. I'll DO IT... because it's intended..

it's how it works, nothing wrong about it, it's clearly well thought to be unable to talk/fight properly in the game.. while you might think you do need to not have either taken that far while you're in the open and for such excessive time to RP as a RL drunk eccentric gathering herbs/rocks/branches and such;

now we need suggestion to turn drunkenness speech from feature to RP element and turn it on/off with a command to again fix issues caused from new mechanics, or wait, we'll be wearing next profession gear.. to moderate the difficulty, lets wait and see;

it's not about titles.. I'm 97.25/97.50~ to reach 99(as goal).. I have to get trough the current state of this as it is.. there is no alternative left but to tank the garbage pile nodes, drop wool everywhere, maybe rocks, branches etc.. as they just keep spawning from everything and it's not possible to gain skill from a place focusing nodes not giving such materials, whatever you do, you'll deal with some kind of annoyance and lack of old functions to "patch" old behavior;

1 hour ago, Wulfgar said:

I haven't been drunk in Wurm ever. That doesn't make me autistic like the troll above you claims, it just makes me a player who couldn't care less about grinding or increasing my e-peen with titles.

If alcohol is a requirement to get skill gain above 70 in foraging/botanizing, then the devs should definitely look into that. That is a poor design choice.

if you think that's poor design choice.. have you heard of profession "armor/suit", and 2x gloves as a tool, being unhappy clown and doing tricks is that happened to whoever used the mechanic or wanted to gain skill with the "updated" system