Ostentatio

Resource Nodes Public Testing

33 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

So it is right that snowballs have been nerfed and occur on snow nodes only.

This was mentioned in the original post at the beginning of this month, yes. It is not intended to be a "nerf", though. We've continued to monitor feedback to ensure that players can find what they need, and options are always open for further adjustments in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

It is not intended to be a "nerf", though.

Whether that was the intention or not, snow has gone from something where 'if you see it, you can interact with it' to 'that's just a tile decoration and you can't actually get snow from snow, anymore', and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find support for that, as opposed to resource nodes where the team took something invisible, and made it gatherable in visible places. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Arronicus said:

Whether that was the intention or not, snow has gone from something where 'if you see it, you can interact with it' to 'that's just a tile decoration and you can't actually get snow from snow, anymore', and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find support for that, as opposed to resource nodes where the team took something invisible, and made it gatherable in visible places. 

The truth is a little more complicated than that. In the current system, whether or not snow can be collected on a tile is completely invisible until you try. There's no visual indication of whether or not snow has "built up" on the tile since Winter has started, or since the last time snow was collected, and gathering snow was completely impossible on some tile types. Snow availability is more visible in the new system, not less visible. The remaining issue is simply whether or not people can gather the snow that they need.

I understand that the snow-covered visuals may give an impression that snow is available where it isn't, but that is the case with the current system as well, and "no, you need to look for an actual snow pile on the ground" is an easier answer than "spam the action on more tiles or wait a few more days, then spam the action on more tiles again".

Snow is also available at times it wasn't before, such as early Spring before the existing snow piles "melt", and at higher altitudes year-round.

• Like 6

Just now, Ostentatio said:

The truth is a little more complicated than that. In the current system, whether or not snow can be collected on a tile is completely invisible until you try, and is never available on some tile types. There's no visual indication of whether or not snow has "built up" on the tile since Winter has started, or since the last time snow was collected. Snow availability is more visible in the new system, not less visible.

That makes way more sense to me than the old way. Collecting snow was tedious without knowing which tiles did or didn't have snowballs. I'd much rather see what I'm looking for than just try every tile and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, Vorticella said:

That makes way more sense to me than the old way. Collecting snow was tedious without knowing which tiles did or didn't have snowballs. I'd much rather see what I'm looking for than just try every tile and hope for the best.

you wait for the initial 24hours or w/e it was.. then any tile you check likely at 100% will have snow, nothing crazy about it, very reliable, can be done almost anywhere, cant gather on some tiles, but any grassy/paved tiles normally let you get snow, steppe gives one snowball ql99 vs .. random ql on grass/tree/bush tile, new system is entirely environment/biome dependent

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Finnn said:

you wait for the initial 24hours or w/e it was.. then any tile you check likely at 100% will have snow, nothing crazy about it, very reliable, can be done almost anywhere, cant gather on some tiles, but any grassy/paved tiles normally let you get snow, steppe gives one snowball ql99 vs .. random ql on grass/tree/bush tile, new system is entirely environment/biome dependent

The new system is not more dependent on environment. Snow piles can form on any tile above water.

On 11/28/2023 at 1:39 AM, Muse said:

If snow is only collectable from nodes, will it still be possible to build the 'Snowman', using a charcoal on a snow tile, as it is currently?  All players should be able to build one on their deeds wherever they are, at least during the coldest part of the Wurm year.

Using a charcoal on a tile that has a snow pile works. And yes, it appears to need a snow pile that has at least 3 snowballs worth of snow.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

I did some testing on this earlier (in these posts) and during winter, I got over 100 snowball from piles (with 3 snowballs, that Os has just said has been increased now to 4) in 24 minutes. < Better

I collected about half of them from sand tiles, which under the old system we didn't get snow on. < Better

The snowballs we get under our current system are 99ql capped, the ones I got from test were over that so I suspect they now go to 100ql. < Better for larders and for the cooks making ice cream and sorbet, etc !

The average quality of the 100 I gathered were higher than we normally get with the old system, with the lowest ql one being 60ish ql. < Better

Snowballs available all year round, for larder top ups, cooking and newbies. < Better

I am not worried about if we will have enough anymore.

(I am going to go in and see what ql the spring ones are, later)

And if players don't want to go out and gather snowballs, I'm sure some players wont mind gathering and delivering a 1000 and selling em for 1 silver, or whatever.

^ If that proves popular, might i suggest a wool insulated crate (only for snowballs), for wagoneer sales*

Edited by Hailiah
  • Like 2

It would be good if we could use a charcoal plus 3 snowballs (however they are collected) to make a snowman, then we could place the snowman on any tile we choose.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

The new system is not more dependent on environment. Snow piles can form on any tile above water.

I'll see it eventually and compare it with old system where going around... say 150-300 tiles in a square area gives enough ql99 balls to fill 2 larders, main/backup.

Larders are still decay->broken anyway, LMCs are the only worthy food storage, it doesn't matter if we get snow easy or not, just as comparison.. old system 150-300 tiles.. with mix of grass/trees/steppe - gives 200/+ ql99 balls, what is the requirement to get that with the new system? Exploration over bigger area?

38 minutes ago, Muse said:

It would be good if we could use a charcoal plus 3 snowballs (however they are collected) to make a snowman, then we could place the snowman on any tile we choose.

maybe new recipe.. combine snowballs to x kg + charcoal to create one anywhere

• Like 4

As to snow, it is also destroying old knowledge and capabilities. Snowball gathering started and still starts every winter at the end of week 2 Silence, but is proficient from week 3 on only, progressing for the first 2 weeks of Diamond, then ending abruptly, with snow stlll visible for a Wurm week (1 day ca.). The dependence on environment is and soon was 1 snowball on slabs, tundra, steppe, and lawn, but with highest quality (99), lower ql but up to 3 per tile on grass, trees and bushes inbetween. Like forage/botanize proper, it was no bad mechanic, required attention to season and environs. "Visible snow nodes" reek like dumbing down, like the whole concept grabbed from other "more modern" games, prolly Ark or Satisfactory (nothing against them, but they are not Wurm, and the whole concept is alien to Wurm, even though many of the landscape decos are pretty).

I always had the snobbish attitude to collect ql99 only for my larders. With the "improvement" that will most prolly be gone. Another nail in the coffin.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

I can see both sides of the argument here.  Everyone can see what a lot of work has been put into the nodes system, it is very beautiful and seems to add a lot to some people's enjoyment. But there are also a lot of people who are already mourning the loss of some much loved features of the current tile based system.  In my opinion, I think the loss or change of these features and the impact of this on players could have been more thoroughly thought through before the project was started, but apart from pleading with the Devs to keep the tile based system in place alongside the nodes, there is little we can do except wait and see how much of the gameplay we currently enjoy can be salvaged.  

One point I would like to mention is the wisdom of keeping a working backup copy of the current foraging/botanising code please.  I am mindful that one day there may be another new server released (never say never) even a Jackal type server, or some other need to distribute varying quantities of items quickly or change the availability of resources.  The usefulness of the current tile based system as a means of distributing any amount of resources to everyone, everywhere, server-wide, should not be overlooked nor the means to do this lost forever.

• Like 4

what about we have both system. The resource nodes just yield more or different items that can't be obtained from normal forage/Botanizing 

• Like 4

Way i see this , is going from a anything harvest as is to a skill lvl harvest now for resources .

The nodes look good and like them , i just dont like the setup .

Still waiting for goblin camps ...

4 hours ago, Damascus said:

Way i see this , is going from a anything harvest as is to a skill lvl harvest now for resources .

The vast majority of items are not limited to a certain skill level, and the quality output isn't very far off from the old system, being mostly determined by your current skill.

• Like 2

are all details for the mechanic publicly available somewhere in one place, since a lot changed since the initial presentation, etc;

stuff like can we gather from a vehicle/mount, do gloves take damage when used, seasonal changes to loot and variance to rolls, high/low skill benefits, elevation vs any place - how's the skillgain in comparison, are gains based on tile node or found item, failure rates, etc;

10 hours ago, Finnn said:

are all details for the mechanic publicly available somewhere in one place, since a lot changed since the initial presentation, etc;

stuff like can we gather from a vehicle/mount, do gloves take damage when used, seasonal changes to loot and variance to rolls, high/low skill benefits, elevation vs any place - how's the skillgain in comparison, are gains based on tile node or found item, failure rates, etc;

We'll have patch notes when the feature is released.

As for your questions here: Skill gain works essentially the same as it does for current foraging/botanizing actions, aside from the influence of gloves. Gloves do not take damage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

We'll have patch notes when the feature is released.

As for your questions here: Skill gain works essentially the same as it does for current foraging/botanizing actions, aside from the influence of gloves. Gloves do not take damage.

So, Tuesday? :P

11 minutes ago, Bekador said:

So, Tuesday? :P

Yes.

But not necessarily next tuesday.

11 hours ago, Lisimba said:

Yes.

But not necessarily next tuesday.

I hope so. Anyway, at least the last regular and sensible snowball collection.

Did not notice any info yet on if new nodes will affect farm plots ?

Or i may have missed it .

Will nodes effect planted crops in anyway ?

24 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Did not notice any info yet on if new nodes will affect farm plots ?

Or i may have missed it .

Will nodes effect planted crops in anyway ?

Wulfmaer did a post on that:

'Lore on Cut Grass (Hay, wet) - From most to least likely, the following resource nodes could appear here under current conditions: Animal burrow and mineral debris.

Farm tiles I've looked at give the same lore. Will keep an eye to see if it changes as the tiles get closer to harvest.'

Edited by Hailiah