Sign in to follow this  
Zekezor

Peak Mining

I suggest a very simply code change that would allow most mountain areas to become habitable (with effort).

When the game checks surface-mining limitations based on skill, make the check ignore downward slopes.

Or put in simpler terms: Allow us to mine the peaks of mountains where the slope exceeds 100 (which atm makes the area completely impossible to terraform).

Visual pic of an area that should be mineable (in hindsight i should have picked 101 slopes for the pic, but w/e, ya get what i mean):

Peak1.png

Thus allowing mining untill the point where the circled numbers exceeds skill limitations.

Peak2.png

so tldr: if a player wants to flatten a rock area, then they surface mine the top and work their way down... which from a RL based perspective should be very easy and require no skill.

• Like 6

Why is it just them two peaks? is that rotatable so that those two would work in either direction?

• Like 1

I am unsure on this one.  Maybe only the most skilled miners are capable of working so close to a very steep edge safely? I could see arguments go both ways on this.  Also, part of the skill check is specifically to give advantage to the best miners, for terraforming in crazy high mountain areas.

Thinking this should be a -1 to preserve the benefits of high mining skill.

Personally he should flip the dirt and rock levels. 300 on rock 100 on dirt = make surface mining alot longer but garenteed. 

Personally he should flip the dirt and rock levels. 300 on rock 100 on dirt = make surface mining alot longer but garenteed. 

Dirt walls are now the way of the past. We are introducing all new ROCK WALLS to keep your deeds safe! Enjoy!  -1 to this

+1 to Zeke

Why is it just them two peaks? is that rotatable so that those two would work in either direction?

Yes, it would work for either "direction" as long as there isnt a upward slope connected to the corner you mine which exceeds your skill.

Edited by Zekezor

this is only a problem in chaos server [dunno about epic], i think the cap should be just raised from 100 to like 200.

this is only a problem in chaos server [dunno about epic], i think the cap should be just raised from 100 to like 200.

Why wouldn't it be a problem on freedom...?

And epic totally isnt infamous for its crazy permanent destruction of landscape due to valrei effects with several hundred in slope... lol.

and no, 200 slopes would result in stonewalls instead of dirtwalls. which for the grand majority of the pvp community is something highly undesirable.

Edited by Zekezor

i've surfacemined 270slope in freedom.

But the volcanoes craters that u got in epic, yeah i think those need some kind of a fix.

Edited by silakka

wait, is the restriction 300 for rock on freedom? I thought that was limited to your skill like everywhere else o.o

Edited by Zekezor

wait, is the restriction 300 for rock on freedom? I thought that was limited to your skill like everywhere else o.o

3x digging skill for dirt

3x mining skill for surfacemining  on freedom

PVP servers have a hard 100 slope limit.

WIKI:

Slopes created with surface mining are limited to 3x mining skill on PvE and 1x mining skill on PvP. Be careful as its possible to surface mine a slope's steepness one mine action beyond what your skill will allow. This small mistake prevents any mining actions on top of the slope.

Edited by Lycanthropic

I surfacemine top down anyways, doing 20-40 slope passes, that way you never have to surfacemine with 0 stam. And yeah, have been called in to surfacemine 285 slopes down to where others can handle them, it happens

+1 to ignoring downslopes, we've needed this for so long.  The best part would be giving players a way to undo some valrei pillars

• Like 1

This is not needed. That's why we have strongwall surfacing. You want fast rock terraforming, get a priest and spend some money on favor.

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 1

This is not needed. That's why we have strongwall surfacing. You want fast rock terraforming, get a priest and spend some money on favor.

Strongwall surface mining obviously wont work with a high peak... Think a bit. <3

Infact... Nothing in my post would make surface mining "faster", its still the same old "whack the pickaxe 2 billion times method" and strongwalling (where its appliable) is still just as usefull as in the past... Did you read the post at all?

Edited by Zekezor

How do you lower a rock peak with strongwall? As far as Im aware that only works for two borders at most (the lowest two) - with a single peak (corner) left does it still work?

Edited by Alyeska

How do you lower a rock peak with strongwall? As far as Im aware that only works for two borders at most (the lowest two) - with a single peak (corner) left does it still work?

That's where you use concrete all around to bring it in mineable range. You guys are requesting things that simplify all the procedures and make everything very easy. So what's next ? 100% chance to lower a corner on every action ?

Edited by Sizzle

That's where you use concrete all around to bring it in mineable range. You guys are requesting things that simplify all the procedures and make everything very easy. So what's next ? 100% chance to lower a corner on every action ?

Concrete (due to flowing at too high slopes similar to dirt) isnt always a usable option Sizzle.

Ever seen a valrei pillar? a 3000+ slope spike into the sky with individual slopes of 500+.

edit: also i find it cute that you litterary posted a picture publicly on the forum explaining how to do a exploit... quite hillarious infact.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

So in reponse to what I asked, it is not possible to use strongwall to lower a peak, rather, you would still need to surface mine it down?

Meh personally the current skill check for surface mining slopes is overwrought anyways. One can shovel non-reinforced dirt at steeper angels than one can chip away at solid rock<_<

Granted Im biased as I prefer mining over digging. Only consolation is the check doesnt occur underground.

Only consolation is the check doesnt occur underground.

It used to.

I found a bug with underground mining and rolfs solution (instead of fixing the actual bug) was to remove all limitations.

Edited by Zekezor