Sign in to follow this  
Elen

Allow Imping Logs and Metal Lumps

So I was thinking we should be able to improve the QL of lumps and logs.

Basically the weight of the item would go down and the QL would go up.

Metal : "Refine" on a glowing lump, skillcheck metallurgy using a clay smelting pot. If successful, Ql raises and weight is reduced by whatever feels balanced.

Skillgains similar to making alloys/steel.

Log: "Cut out knots and burl" on a log, skillcheck woodcutting using a hatchet. If successful, Ql raises and weight is reduced by whatever feels balanced.

Skillgains similar to chopping up felled trees.

What you would get here is a way to improve a couple base materials (steel yo) and another way to gain metallurgy and woodcutting.

Edited by Elen
  • Like 2

Or. Now bear with me, this is kinda out there. But how about instead of raising a secondary skill, you just raise the primary skill?

Edit: To elaborate, as I didn't read the WC part anyway - There are already means by which to aquire both logs and mining; for example, a rare hatchet to cut down a tree will give you a tree (potentially) above your woodcutting ql, such as say 70 skill giving a 71ql tree. Chopping up the tree can then potentially give you 72ql logs. There's also the unique blood potions (WC one in this case obviously) for added, if somewhat temporary, bonuses.

With mining, again, rare+ pick.

I don't think we need to complicate basic resource acquisition.

Edited by aamanus
  • Like 2

Metal lump can be imped by adding "Better" QL lump to it via combining.. Logs are different though

Doesn't this devalue the resource collection skills pretty significantly?

Edit: Woodcutting in particular considering volume of high Q logs isn't terribly important, just the maximum quality you can get to.

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 1

Log: "Cut out knots and burl" on a log, skillcheck woodcutting using a hatchet. If successful, Ql raises and weight is reduced by whatever feels balanced.

Skillgains similar to chopping up felled trees.

skillgains similar to chopping trees into logs would make it the best way to get woodcutting skill.so at very low levels you can imp it higher than your skill but thats harder the higher you go up to 85 or so when you need higher skill than the ql you want or it takes forever,then it may be ok. but still shouldnt give the same skill as chopping into logs.

Metal lump can be imped by adding "Better" QL lump to it via combining.. Logs are different though

Actually, you can combine them with logs of the same type in a BSB.

• Like 1

Nope.

Think about this, large anvils require 0.50kgs of lump for one imping action. However the action can also be completed using a lump of only 0.01 size, it just uses up that whole tiny lump in the process.

This is the same for any other item being imped.

So you would only need to mine low ql stuff, and after enough "improving" actions you would end up with a lot of very small, but high ql lumps of iron that could still easily be used for imping any item that usually requires a large amount of lump to imp to high qls.

tl;dr this devalues the work people put into their gathering skills enormously.

• Like 1

Actually, you can combine them with logs of the same type in a BSB.

but you will loose enchants.....

I kinda like the idea for WC, it would give a way to level the skill without clear cutting half the server. Maybe something similar for leather too.

The resulting QL could also be hard capped at your current skill level to prevent devaluating high level miners/woodcutters.

no because spending 4'000 hours of your life watching mining/wc numbers rise is an essential part of this fun game.

Edited by FreeTineen

I'm siding with the resource guys. Just raise your gathering skills. -1

Sorry Elen, but being a lover of gathering in every game, then a crafter (though I tend to craft more here...) I've got to say a major - 1 from me.

While logically, it makes some sense. I see this decaying the work I've put into gathering skills heavily. (It's much harder to grind woodcutting then any woodworking skills, including ship building) so I'd feel cheated on it.

I enjoy traveling to find mats. I think scarcity needs to be more of an integral part of the economy and both lump and logs are currently affected by scarcity in a small way.

while I understand the idea - it seems like allot of complication added when all you have to do is skill up a bit

I mean I could however see this being useful for the uncommon metals (copper tin lead gold silver) that are capped QL50 in some areas but iron and logs -1