Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

letter to xanadu community about highways

If you think it's a problem, wait until you one day need to deliver something inland with a cart, decide to follow a road, need to pass by that small road built between the water and a cliff and discover that during the last two weeks you were last there, someone raised the area made a full deed by the water and blocked all way to go through or around if you are on a wagon/cart. Enjoy your random large detours because someone doesn't want to walk through his deed. I have seen people build by the water and totally block fast cart/wagon circulation so many times it's not funny.

Oh I LOVE those ........ I know having a coastal road along your deed isn't mandatory but in all honesty, if you do, the community will generally appreciate it..... even if not a road, or flattened, just something wide and shallow enough for a cart to pass.

IT SHOULD be 3 tile wide highways everywhere and roads off it one tile :P

Edited by Killroth

Ehm.................. this is the highways' thread? :3

People will create roads to the places they need to go and it will spider out from there. Markets at both Greymead and Lormere seem to be the most logical ways to do it with the server being the size it is. Those who want access to marketplaces will connect, those that wish to stay secluded may do so. And from the map the rivers and inlets all coming in from the sea will allow reasonable ship travel to almost everywhere.

there will be a market constructed at valley of the damned real soon ;)

This is pure fantasy. there will be all kinds of different road designs, and usually along the path of least resistance. Most of the people that will screw it up, Don't even read the forums. Look at the absolutely horrible roads that were made on celeb. A dozen groups tried to form an opinion about it, but in the end your still riding along the side of a steep paved hill.

• Like 1

Then......................... spread the word mon! =D

Since we're on the topic of highways......... those coastal roads that get hand-made along those looooooooong water-hugging cliffs, usually 1-tile due to the staggering amounts of dirt... y'know... specifically water-road-cliff setups..... 

I'd have them added to the rules under "highway" too. Thoughts?

Then......................... spread the word mon! =D

Since we're on the topic of highways......... those coastal roads that get hand-made along those looooooooong water-hugging cliffs, usually 1-tile due to the staggering amounts of dirt... y'know... specifically water-road-cliff setups..... 

I'd have them added to the rules under "highway" too. Thoughts?

Or face the facts you dont need a road to get to every tile in the game.

Or face the facts you dont need a road to get to every tile in the game.

Uncalled for hostility?  Wrong guy, I'm the last one to want a road to his deed, but since people are gonna make them anyways, why not a thread with basic "politeness suggestions" eh.  After all, I'm sure at least a fraction of ppl who mess a road have no idea what they were doing.

Uncalled for hostility?  Wrong guy, I'm the last one to want a road to his deed, but since people are gonna make them anyways, why not a thread with basic "politeness suggestions" eh.  After all, I'm sure at least a fraction of ppl who mess a road have no idea what they were doing.

Because we can have as many threads as you wish and circle jerk back and forth and people will still do whatever they want in game, thinking some grand discussion, poll or committee will do anything to change that fact is beyond comprehension. 

• Like 1

I personally intend to build a major highway and to me, one thing that makes a major difference is the least destruction to the natural beauty of the landscape.

• Like 1

Kadore needs a hug........ and a road to his deed ^_^

So people are aware. Votd is planning a large highway project connecting the SE bay alliance together and then over to lormar (?) Spawn city in the SE making travel easier for new players and old players a like. We will also be opening a 200+ public merchant market.

You can be sure that our roads will be three tile making use of the large amounts of marble and other materials we have stocked and the varying styles of road we can create.

You can also be sure that if our road meets your deed we will discuss connecting you to it or we will go around.

We will also not be brute forcing our way through areas but will instead being kind enough to make our roadways appear to roll with the landscape as much as possible.

... and no we won't edge with sand.

... and yes we will likely put guard towers out if the stretch is long and empty from templars to make the travel safer for players who might need assistance.

Roads are vital but working together can be done to obtain a common goal in this. Deliverance did it and they have the best road system ever. Minus the north east which appears to be decaying away.

• Like 1

BTW just a heads up Valley of the Damned is right off the coast.

We do not need 300 roads going to it and from it !! 

Get a ship or a sail boat for our area and use the massive docking area he will have.

Correction. South west... not south east. Bloody fat thumbs and android phones.

Also puncher I was not aware we would be having such a massive dock or 300 roads leading to and from it. Currently only one highway is planned and no dock had been formal discussed amongst us yet. But yes of course there will be some kind of dock. And players should not be required to only access a market via boat because you want them to. The bay is not just ours and we cannot take all the bay space to use as a dock to our deed.

Edited by Ruger

>>>>>... and yes we will likely put guard towers out if the stretch is long and empty from templars to make the travel safer for players who might need assistance.<<<<<

Roads are vital but working together can be done to obtain a common goal in this. Deliverance did it and they have the best road system ever. Minus the north east which appears to be decaying away.

The Wurm Academy on Pristine did a great job putting guard towers along a long stretch of highway that they built collectively. I found that it help greatly in traversing that stretch to survive any aggro attacks with my very low skill fighter character.

I have seen your road network around Ultimarus and it was masterfully done. I am sure you will do a find job of it here on Xanadu as well. Almost makes me wish that I was up around that area but naw, I have found my special place elsewhere.

=Ayes=

After seeing the map im thinking roads are going to be nothing compared to the 500 tunnels that everyone absolutely has to have to connect every lake together. Now throw all the over land tunnels for the roads. Shudder to think how much land will be GM protected for all that.

Vogon Kwaltz: Attention, people of Earth. I regret to inform you that in order to make way for the new hyperspace express route, your planet has been scheduled for demolition. Have a nice day.

After seeing the map im thinking roads are going to be nothing compared to the 500 tunnels that everyone absolutely has to have to connect every lake together. Now throw all the over land tunnels for the roads. Shudder to think how much land will be GM protected for all that.

Boats might not be the answer here seems over the land travel might be the way to go in some places. I am not sure if the lakes can be all joined to the sea on this server. 

from what I been hearing, discovering is that the major lakes only look land locked. hope that is true and that bridges get added fast.

Most players never travel anywhere by boat. Those that do are the minority. Even some who have boats such as myself, avoid it at all cost, being so slow and inconvenient. Heck, I rarely even ride horses within the local area. Faster to just run around, but then I don't wear armor in local either, so I can move quickly.

=Ayes=

There's one started going straight south from Whitefay to a mountain that is deeded and goes around that to the lakes where I am deeded at. It's going to cut east from there to the coastline. This should not bug anyone and I'll make it look nice after I get it packed and marked out then can pave it when I have the bricks.

I would suggest a generous use of diagonal highgways wherever you have to dodge an obstacle, such as a deed or a mountain. There's nothing more annoying than having to navigate 90 degrees corners in places where a diagonal would have made a much more direct road. Besides, making smooth sloped diagonal roads is a nice challenge compared to north/south/east/west ones.

• Like 1

I would suggest a generous use of diagonal highgways wherever you have to dodge an obstacle, such as a deed or a mountain. There's nothing more annoying than having to navigate 90 degrees corners in places where a diagonal would have made a much more direct road. Besides, making smooth sloped diagonal roads is a nice challenge compared to north/south/east/west ones.

While I agree that diagonal highways and roads can be constructed to be quite appealing, they also take more resources as well as a skilled player in road construction to build accurately. Then also they use and cut up a lot more land in the process. Some diagonal corners instead of straight ones are not too much bother tho and do make the turns easier to navigate.

At any rate, I am really looking forward to what the more experienced road and deed builders will make out of Xanadu.

=Ayes=