Sign in to follow this  
Zomag

Are We Waiting for Rolf to Wake Up Again

Now, let's all get back to impatiently hitting refresh in hopes that the servers are back up so that we can feed our addiction!

Well, I think we're in the same place.  Just wanting the game back up, which is not going to happen for probably about 10 hours). 

I'm not worried so much about the particulars in this case and more worried about the base issue.  Which is only one guy can get the servers back up. 

You're right, I don't know what the issue is this time.  What I've seen in the last year is that times that Wurm has gone down nothing got fixed until Rolf worked on it. 

Once he's working on it he gets it fixed quickly... but the issue I'm trying to raise is that there are probably some smaller issues that just need a restart.  The problem is no one else can do that apparently.

Again, I see this as a customer service issue that would be nice to have the powers that be take a look at.  Nothing more.

I love the game, I'm not going to quit playing.  I just see it as an issue that should be looked at.

I didn't read all the post but I did get a general idea folks think giving a GM or something permission to reset would solve problems.

The thing is, I don't think its about just resetting. Its not that hard to make a automated program that resets things if a connection is broken. The server Dev's probably want to see why the server went down, predict the outcome of resting, and then do whats necessary. I remember making a suggestion to have a bot program automate server restarts and the response was that Rolf needs to investigate the who, what, when, where, why's of the situation first.

I didn't read all the post but I did get a general idea folks think giving a GM or something permission to reset would solve problems.

The thing is, I don't think its about just resetting. Its not that hard to make a automated program that resets things if a connection is broken. The server Dev's probably want to see why the server went down, predict the outcome of resting, and then do whats necessary. I remember making a suggestion to have a bot program automate server restarts and the response was that Rolf needs to investigate the who, what, when, where, why's of the situation first.

I'm not an IT guy.  Would it be possible to get a DB snapshot to identify the problem. 

I can see how having a problem that isn't fixed could grow worse if things were started up again.  The other side of it would be how bad would a possible rollback (worst case scenario) be compared to a 12+ hour downtime?

Depends on the issue obviously.  I would err on the side of not locking out customers though.  Again, depends on the issue.  Would be nice if there  was more than one guy that could make that decision is all.  I definitely don't have a problem with Rolf making those decisions, I love his game.  I just think it would be nice if there was an optiong to keep the game running when he's not available.  I can't imagine every time the game goes down that it's a major game mechanic issue.  I could be wrong though.

I'm not an IT guy.  Would it be possible to get a DB snapshot to identify the problem. 

I can see how having a problem that isn't fixed could grow worse if things were started up again.  The other side of it would be how bad would a possible rollback (worst case scenario) be compared to a 12+ hour downtime?

Depends on the issue obviously.  I would err on the side of not locking out customers though.  Again, depends on the issue.  Would be nice if there  was more than one guy that could make that decision is all.  I definitely don't have a problem with Rolf making those decisions, I love his game.  I just think it would be nice if there was an optiong to keep the game running when he's not available.  I can't imagine every time the game goes down that it's a major game mechanic issue.  I could be wrong though.

i agree with the part that a gm can call and say hey server is down.

Honestly I wouldn't wake him up just for that. The game's rarely ever down. Let's just take a break.

Honestly I wouldn't wake him up just for that. The game's rarely ever down. Let's just take a break.

What I'm hoping is that he wouldn't need to awoken to fix it.

A change to the process would allow the game to keep running while he's getting some well earned rest.

i agree with the part that a gm can call and say hey server is down.

Since it hasn't been specifically pointed out, let me do it:

All these calls for some random volunteer somewhere who could magically call and make things get fixed are completely ignoring the fact that we know the current problem is one that cannot be fixed that way.  How do we know this?  Because there was a Twitter post five hours ago saying that the servers were down.  There was another one about an hour ago saying there's still no ETA.

So, no magic "just restart the servers" fix here.

Cut Rolf and Code Club some slack.  If the forum time is the time they're operating on, then it was a little past midnight on a Sunday morning when they realized the servers were down and started getting into it.  They're not ignoring the problem.  They're working on it.

This also means they got some kind of notification about it.  So, the whole argument about someone getting "paged" doesn't matter because clearly someone was.

Just have some patience and give them time to fix the issue.

The Valrei worshippers predicted Wurmageddon 2 to happen December 21...

1e9c10.jpg

Looks like the hosting company has no connectivity!

Which explains why it's all the servers, including test. Hopefully whatever needs to get done to fix all this, gets fixed. I'm glad to see that despite the outage, most people are keeping fairly calm. :)

If I lose my skills, I'll re-spec

If I lose my possessions and keep my skills, who cares, I can rebuild.

I'm like Herpes simplex, Rolf can't get rid of me no matter how much he wants to XD

In the end we shall all survive,  But  dang  i need  my  fix... BBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADD

It's back :-)

... briefly. Hey ho. The world is still there at the moment; ashes from fires I was making still on the floor, so at the moment no long lasting damage seems to have occurred.  But connectivity is out again.

Because there was a Twitter post five hours ago saying that the servers were down.  There was another one about an hour ago saying there's still no ETA.

That twitter post was done by a volunteer CA (or PR person, or whatever the title ended up being), and "no eta" meant that she has the same information we had: none.

While im glad the servers are back up, im really suprised there hasnt been a single word said about it from the devs. Is that normal?

Hi,

I'm not an IT guy.

Not a mistake, maybe an advantage these days. I am, what a pity :/

Would it be possible to get a DB snapshot to identify the problem.

Without having knowledge of the system Rolf uses, yes. All you need to monitor/ remote control a server is some nifty hardware on it, and another server (or a process on it) in another LAN, running a program that does the job. And that does the rolling backup.

This will contact the server continuously using several ways, waiting for responses. Should all these responses fail to come, it will assume that the server went to server heaven, else it will diagnose what part of the server has died. And take approbate measures, depending of what parameters it got.

It's not rare that this way servers are auto-rebooted, for a "first try to aid" for serious problems, or for a daily restarting routine for performance issues. (Fresh backups should be done right before ...)

Probably you know the msg "The server will shut down in 600 secs ..." every day, this is such an automated msg. But in this case it could come from the server itself, warning of it's self issued reboot.

Quite sure the recent problem wasn't this easy. Would such have happened to a customer of ours, I'd have had a good chance to get a 110db bell ringing right beneath my pillar - and you'd have had a status message at least 30 mins later.

Dunno what, if any, emergency tools Rolf runs. In any case, I'd love if he upgraded. Would make him money, in the long run, I'm sure.

Have a good time!