Shiraek

Rare roll on create vs. imp

The other night I made several hundred horsehoes, one every 30 seconds, while doing nothing in between as much as possible. I have the +10 sec window bonus from village. I got 0 rare rolls in what was many hours of doing this.

Hilariously I got a rare roll creating the kindling to light the forge.

My question is: Did I just have some worse than average luck, or has this been nerfed? Does anyone have recent experience with this method? Is there now a thing that stops giving you a chance at a rare roll if you're repeating an identical action for too long?

I don't really have experience with this. I have made most of my rare items during imping.

sounds like bad luck, ive been doin some rare hunting lately and got roughly 1 rare per 2h

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shiraek said:

The other night I made several hundred horsehoes, one every 30 seconds, while doing nothing in between as much as possible. I have the +10 sec window bonus from village. I got 0 rare rolls in what was many hours of doing this.

My question is: Did I just have some worse than average luck, or has this been nerfed? Does anyone have recent experience with this method? Is there now a thing that stops giving you a chance at a rare roll if you're repeating an identical action for too long?

I don't really have experience with this. I have made most of my rare items during imping.

Several hundred is such a small sample size 

2 hours ago, Shiraek said:

Story of my life.

I noticed this change too. Since October-November last year. I can’t guarantee it because I don’t know for sure, but it looks like creation was nerfed. It was checked several times, 600-700 attempts each.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shiraek said:

you're asking why you had bad luck when you tried to cheese and abuse the system for it's known flaw..

and you feel bad.. about your wasted time..

imagine you play a long time and get to some high skill and you improve things, your odds are 1/5 not 1/2 and since you improve high ql items your actions mostly fail and your inspirations just do not matter, now imagine you have raised your ML and rarity window counts your windows and actions from the time when you queue them, not when they start..

how bad would you feel if you knew all this is acceptable and actually a thing

curious for your opinion

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Finnn said:

curious for your opinion

Devs do what they see fit. It's their business. We play by adapting to the current situation. This is neither bad nor good, it's just reality.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Finnn said:

you're asking why you had bad luck when you tried to cheese and abuse the system for it's known flaw..

and you feel bad.. about your wasted time..

imagine you play a long time and get to some high skill and you improve things, your odds are 1/5 not 1/2 and since you improve high ql items your actions mostly fail and your inspirations just do not matter, now imagine you have raised your ML and rarity window counts your windows and actions from the time when you queue them, not when they start..

how bad would you feel if you knew all this is acceptable and actually a thing

curious for your opinion

I am really not sure what you're getting at here. I was asking people's opinions... did I have some worse than average luck, or has it been nerfed? I don't feel bad about it either way.

How am I cheesing and abusing the system? That's how it works. If it worked a different way I would behave differently. Spending hours getting a single rare doesn't feel cheesy or abuse-y or cheating to me.

As for your second paragraph that is exactly the situation I am in and that is how it works (I believe) and I feel fine about it. I get plenty of rares from imping stuff, and as I said that's how I've gotten all of my most useful rare items to date.

I would have designed the system differently, and if I were in charge I would probably change it now - although cautiously since changes can have such a huge impact. But overall I feel fine with it as is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atndy said:

Several hundred is such a small sample size 

It is :) That's why I'm asking others about their experience.

3 minutes ago, Shiraek said:

It is :) That's why I'm asking others about their experience.

Sadly I play on nfi where creation rares are nerfed ive never created a rare exception being arch and attaching for rarity.

I have some data by dicing meat.

I Have 7 rare diced meat stored and I estimate I saced another 4-5 or so until now. That's by dicing meat until my butchering skill got to 52.

Without Sleep Bonus, using a CoC 92 knife with affinity food and as a follower of Vynora. I used as long as possible actions by freezing stamina.

Total meat diced= 2100stored + probably another 3k that I saced or fed to the trolls.

EDIT: Thats in NFI

Edited by Rustblade

6 hours ago, Shiraek said:

Did I just have some worse than average luck, or has this been nerfed? Does anyone have recent experience with this method? Is there now a thing that stops giving you a chance at a rare roll if you're repeating an identical action for too long?

were you right-clicking?

I made less than 200 horse shoes the other day and made a rare one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Votip said:

were you right-clicking?

Nope was using the crafting window with a single action configured.

4 hours ago, Shiraek said:

I am really not sure what you're getting at here. I was asking people's opinions... did I have some worse than average luck, or has it been nerfed? I don't feel bad about it either way.

How am I cheesing and abusing the system? That's how it works. If it worked a different way I would behave differently. Spending hours getting a single rare doesn't feel cheesy or abuse-y or cheating to me.

As for your second paragraph that is exactly the situation I am in and that is how it works (I believe) and I feel fine about it. I get plenty of rares from imping stuff, and as I said that's how I've gotten all of my most useful rare items to date.

I would have designed the system differently, and if I were in charge I would probably change it now - although cautiously since changes can have such a huge impact. But overall I feel fine with it as is.

Technically... the game does not at any point explain how rarity works or how creation is better chance than improvement, or how it's 30second windows for rarity rolls, and best done in the way you did it.. all that information comes from WU code and it's metagaming the mechanics to juice best outcomes, none of it is meant to be used in the way it's coded, the game only hints it adds you 10seconds of rarity bonus when you boost the deed effect.

I'd rather one day see some better working and more rewarding endgame or mid-end game.. not mostly f2p noob accounts, since the lowest skill players have the most long timer actions and new players often make rare items, why.. they don't really queue or do many things with planning, it's do 1 thing, go check the wiki, or keep going at snail speed, while that puts them in perfect condition to often do new action in new window effortlessly... all this is totally trashed as experience and chances for endgame because of how things are coded. 

8-12 months back rare roll on imps were definetely more successfull, atm i get those rolls but no rare so far in +-2 months.

• Like 1

I have an old stone forge I've been bashing and imping with rare shards (brick cut out). So far I am up to 48 rare shards used and 12 GOOD imps with moi. I am up to zero rare stone forges.

It's just luck of the draw I'm telling myself.

Ok, now that this thread is cleaned up, let's stay on topic. If you want to go back and forth discussing metagaming do so in a DM. This is not the place to do that. 

Regards,

Brattygirl (LFM)

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

Can confirm rarity chance at one point was nerfed. Outside the useless rare roll like rare parsley or rare rock shards, I've only rared 2 items in 2023. One was a scale boot and another was a halberd I was imping for a friend.

The thing that grinds my gears is that my character supposedly has a higher chance to make rare stuff due to the journal goal buff which seems to not be working at all.

I wish I could take a look at the code to see if that journal buff even exists in the first place because of my experiences so far.... it doesn't. At all.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, elentari said:

Can confirm rarity chance at one point was nerfed. Outside the useless rare roll like rare parsley or rare rock shards, I've only rared 2 items in 2023. One was a scale boot and another was a halberd I was imping for a friend.

The thing that grinds my gears is that my character supposedly has a higher chance to make rare stuff due to the journal goal buff which seems to not be working at all.

I wish I could take a look at the code to see if that journal buff even exists in the first place because of my experiences so far.... it doesn't. At all.

you can always peek at WU code as reference, however old it is.. with or w/o the old 2 dev team work and before the patch for adding last item to be 50% chance or w/e it was

there are way too many unrewarding and nerfing rng chances to how endgame works.. and that could be improved a lot somehow later on.. if that will be qol or not .. is a different talk...

pretty sure I rared more items last year.. but by all means they were very very very very.. few, 2 I can recall were 2 rugs while grinding CT, friends' rugs, not mine ^^', errr...

I've gone trough several skills grinded to 99 and I can't really recall much about rare items created/improved in the process... I had maybe 2 rare items made while creating items for missions

maybe it's good idea to suggest adding of item turning rare from creation and improvement.. any kind of word/string to be able to lookup events in logs and count them

this is obviously best tracked by rarity clappers.. making items like cheap-factory 24/7.. for the lot of rare to sell and supreme to make few better trades or keep the supreme.. as both are usually a target in when it comes to such "endless" cycle of creation by timers

on the other hand... main issue remains.. it's really unrewarding to be well skilled, often you'd rare somebody else's item if you sell improvement services.. rarely it's own item with normal gameplay.. it's just best done by clocking actions which is far from natural or "fun" and engaging gameplay

in addition we lack some kind of expansion to items and progression.. something like rune effects.. but late game upgrading tools.. own or marketed.. stuff like personalizing tools or having own set of perks we choose to use, faster use, imping more, less damage taken, all the possible variations of events and effects around using/maintaining these items, and some way to get there.. further gamification.. (grinding..) but wurm is that and idk if 'chinese' game heavy-grind fits the nature of it.. but surely rubs well with the grindy nature of everything in wurm, we just dont want the korean kind of gamba rng - get 3 supreme axes, click 1 button and maybe at 3% you'll get fantastic and 5 of them will make a legendary..

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

in addition we lack some kind of expansion to items and progression.. something like rune effects.. but late game upgrading tools.. own or marketed.. stuff like personalizing tools or having own set of perks we choose to use, faster use, imping more, less damage taken, all the possible variations of events and effects around using/maintaining these items, and some way to get there.. further gamification.. (grinding..) but wurm is that and idk if 'chinese' game heavy-grind fits the nature of it.. but surely rubs well with the grindy nature of everything in wurm, we just dont want the korean kind of gamba rng - get 3 supreme axes, click 1 button and maybe at 3% you'll get fantastic and 5 of them will make a legendary..

Well we do have runes and imbues now.

RNG in general needs to be improved.

Failing to make mortar at 90 Masonry, come on.

RNG is ruining players experiences in all fields.

Been playing a long long time, on and off, 

When I renew my premium, is because I have a need to fail on things 😂.

we know, we assume we will fail,

so we make thousands of bricks we don’t need, thousands of horse shoes, I swear every time I see a set of rare horse shoes in Trade, I just roll my eyes.

How many horses are bred just to get that rare trait? Or even to just dispose of those with bad traits? And this at very high levels of AH. I’m sorry, but if I invested time to get my mining to the 90’s , and then I invest in a rare imbued pick super high QL, I want 95 % of my ore to be top QL.

I’m just being devil advocate, I cannot care less, not into the meta gaming, not planning on getting to 100 in any skill, not using the few hours I get to play to spam items with my alts to make money with rares. And no, I’m not judging anyone that does. Grateful for you! I just use my credit card, and gladly buy that sickle, that long sword, that hatchet!

just saying, that something gotta give in order to entertain better your playerbase.

You cannot afford ( talking to the devs) to frustrate me failing in a piece of mortar after all these years.

That RNG, imo, gotta tilt , just a little bit in favor, of the reason you have an income:

your playerbase, onto whatever we decide to do in the hours we have dedicated to entertainment, being spamming rares, or building 50 deeds all over the place

15 hours ago, elentari said:

I think unless the buff is very significant, it would be extremely difficult for a player to notice it.

Even if it was 20% higher chance (it's probably 10% or less) you would never notice, given how infrequent moments of inspiration are. I would probably need to parse months of logs before and after to see any statistical difference.