Sign in to follow this  
Youngsoldier

Fix tower guard speed on pvp servers

In this case, they are correct. It was changed due to PvP (I can't remember which kingdom, but doesn't really matter) were crying about it. Two days later, it was changed.

Actually, unless some behind the screens IRC whine, and don't tell me that doesn't happen... The slower guards came from this thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/93815-pvp-easy-fruits/

And, yes, i'm that crazy, because i just checked all 27 pages of it and theres 546 replies on that thread, and while there's numerous suggestions to stop guards attacking horses, or make it a chance (or a lower chance), instead of a given, there were EXACTLY TWO suggestions (in 526) to slow down guards, and the perpetrators were:

* Remove tower guards attacking horses automatically; same with deed guards.

* Slow tower guards down on Chaos - it might not be an issue on Epic but on Chaos the map is plastered with them

* Improve the catapulting code especially vs multiple story house - multiple story houses are extremely difficult to destroy as you hit the upper floors first; there should be a way to target the bottom floor

* Make it so 'good' wind is more common - I hate using boats at the best of times but it seems like every time I jump in one there is a gale blowing the opposite direction or no breeze at all.

* Remove cooldowns on AoSP, CoC, WA etc only things that should have cooldowns are combat spells.

Other suggestion:

* Allow PMK rulers to change their title! As various crafting titles give bonuses to improve it is very frustrating and there is like a 10 page thread in suggestions about this with unanimous support.

1. Better benefits to battlecamps (atm they are useless, guards bugged, no added bonus then easy champ points, on a server where no one champs)

2. PvP has become more of a numbers game. I believe to reduce the gank bonus, not completely remove it. Oldest accounts will have a slight advantage, but not the kind of advantage ganks gives against better accounts atm.

3. Fix Champion system.

4. Return to original catapulting system.

5. Slower guard towers guards.

I might have missed some, if so, i apologize, do PM me and i'll join you to the hall of infamous up here.

And i really liked that post where PvE players only activity was repeatedly press the same button on a safe zone... It really sounds like PvP people spend their days in heated battles and whatnot, and the huge scarring they made on the land of chaos was coincidental, and their armor and whatnot are made by fairies.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 2

Watching my guard take 15 minutes to waddle ten tiles makes me *facepalm*

while you are at this, fix pve templars too, or at least make it cheaper, I think 1s is too much for a glorified lamp refiller.

• Like 2

while you are at this, fix pve templars too, or at least make it cheaper, I think 1s is too much for a glorified lamp refiller.

Just be glad Rolf reverted that annoyingly broken mechanic where you had to have an oil barrel full of olive oil to keep the lamps lit.  Dang thing didn't work anyways.   

Once again the lack of separate coding for pvp & pve rears it's ugly head. Big surprise, eh? :rolleyes:

I guess it's rude to say that I don't give a flying #### what tower guards do or don't do on Chaos but I don't. I don't know how they effect game play there but I sure know how the changes made to them because of pvp effect play on the pve servers where they are now so slow that they are all but useless to the noobs who really depend on them and where I can't ride a tamed hell horse around without it being attacked by them. 

There is no reason for a guard to attack a mount on pve servers. Ever! 

Guards need their speed back on pve servers since there was absolutely no reason to slow them down there to start with.  :angry:

The new tortoises ARE in the game already. They are wearing uniforms and standing around towers. :wacko:

• Like 2

tumblr_mra7fp3JgQ1s1tu65o1_250.gif

its more like this now

Edited by Youngsoldier
  • Like 1

Once again the lack of separate coding for pvp & pve rears it's ugly head. Big surprise, eh? :rolleyes:

I guess it's rude to say that I don't give a flying #### what tower guards do or don't do on Chaos but I don't. I don't know how they effect game play there but I sure know how the changes made to them because of pvp effect play on the pve servers where they are now so slow that they are all but useless to the noobs who really depend on them and where I can't ride a tamed hell horse around without it being attacked by them. 

There is no reason for a guard to attack a mount on pve servers. Ever! 

Guards need their speed back on pve servers since there was absolutely no reason to slow them down there to start with.  :angry:

The new tortoises ARE in the game already. They are wearing uniforms and standing around towers. :wacko:

Well join the club, the I don't know many players on the PvP server that are happy with the change either.   I agree, it should have never been done on the PvE servers, to begin with.   I don't understand why they would attack your hell horse on freedom.   That doesn't make any sense, hell I don't see allied guards doing that on Chaos.  You charm the Hell horse or tame it with AT?   I haven't ridden one yet so I don't know all the quirks.    Though if your riding a hell horse atm, lol I don't think you need to worrry about slow guards. :D  

Anyways, the whole change needs to be reverted, it doesn't really do much but let alts pass around enemy territory easier.   I don't see any magical enhancements to raiding enemy territory as a result, I've been in enemy lands many times before the change and after the change, and really haven't noticed any difference or anything magically "better" simply because I can spit farther than the guards manage to chase me before I zoom out of range.    There is no upside to this either on PvP or PvE, it serves no purpose whatsoever.   What was needed was an overhaul on the tower system, pathing, etc.   Like usual, however Rolf saw what he thought was an "easy fix" and threw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.   Not to mention that we had to search long and hard to see the obscure spot in where he got his inspiration in one of the topics, since one could figure out who would be stupid enough to suggest nerfing the already broken towers even more.  

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 1

Anyone who wants NPC's to do fighting for them probably shouldn't be on a pvp server in the first place.  Just saying. 

I like the slow-ish response. I makes me more aware of where the guard towers actually are, so I run to them to increase my survival odds. If everything is immediate there's no concerns for locality. Maybe as well just give everybody a free teleport-to-safety option. Always the same suggestions. :/

The teleport-to-safety is pretty much what deeds are. They're toooooo safe. Risk-averse.

Idk, I think I just like immersion more than the normal person, even if there's risk or penalties involved. The risk makes the world feel more ummmmm .... immersive. Penalties add consequences to things. A lot of modern games are removing penalties - and therefore consequences - while trying to keep risk. HOwever, it just ends feeling artificial to me. Like I WILL win in X tries and it's impossible to have an adverse experience.

Here's a better suggestions:

Allow guards to help you on multiple monsters.

Right now they only help on one. If you have more than one then you'll have to run around with them and wait for the first one to die. If guards had smarter crowd control they could split up to kill the other aggroing creatures.

I also think monsters are too strong on average for lower skill players. I'm not sure how it has happened, but it has. Probably just because there's so many veterans who need strong creatures to kill. Wurm Online is one of the only games I can think of where most of the creatures by themselves wherever I go are too strong for me. And while I've done fine using guard towers to do the tanking, I think it doesn't feel right to me.

I also think more work can be done on creature behavior and dynamics so that there're more instances a player can exploit to escape or be victorious over a pursuing creature or creatures. I just hope if this work is ever done it's not the traditional kind that uses a bunch of icons and clickies. More in favour of using the world - the circumstances - around. Like how you can run to water to escape from a creature <- that's using the world around you. Or what if you could run to a willow tree to escape from an animal that hates willows? Or what of a spider which hates crocodiles? Or what of a creature that can't climb a steep slope without falling rapidly? You could climb the cliff to escape. All of that is using hte environment awareness, not a lot of clickies and icons. Much more immerisve imho.

Unfrotunately I think the desire gamers and game makers have for controlling everything will prohibit those kinds of things. Those kinds of things don't offer instant perma answers. Too many players don't like adversity. I think that's sad because there's so much amazing magic that hapepns in an uncontrolled environment. On the game makers part, they like to control for all the possible outcomes. They tend to cage-in things to keep it simple. Not doing so can really make htem panic because they worry about exploits and negative outcomes for players.

Irony because players play sandbox to get away from controlled environment. What about controlled encounters? Controlled conflicts? Pve vs Pvp? Does Pve/Pvp (Pve especially) always have to be so controlle?

Edited by Lightonfoot

Here's a better suggestions:

Allow guards to help you on multiple monsters.

Right now they only help on one. If you have more than one then you'll have to run around with them and wait for the first one to die. If guards had smarter crowd control they could split up to kill the other aggroing creatures.

They can, call guards on one mob, the first 2 go for it, call on the next, the next 2 do.

Anyone who wants NPC's to do fighting for them probably shouldn't be on a pvp server in the first place.  Just saying. 

I'm not :-)