Sign in to follow this  
Spolmit

Greed Monger

Err, he was talking about Mortal Online, not GM.

Ahh dont use half quotes people. Also mortal online was a failure because it was pretty much alpha testing for the Atlas mmo plugin for UDK along with a bunch of rich script kiddies. Like I said before, 50-57% server downage for the first month. Thats a ###### load, more then half the time the servers were offline. Not only that but it took them three weeks to fix a weight bug and one day to break it and break horses so your horse would explode and you would fly into the air everytime your horse hit water.

Honestly though, actually being inside the skype chat (With absolutely no NDA applied onto me, Which you should obviously do.. you unprofessional fool) I can tell you this game is probably the only game right now that could rival mortal onlines failing record. What jason needs to do is hire developers that know what the ###### they are doing, Just because you lied on the kickstarter and said they had 9 years experience does not mean you can lie to yourself. Also its quite obvious the developers have absolutely NO experience in MMOs but of course jason has no idea why becuase he doesnt know ###### about the project hes building. If you have ###### developers you have a ###### game.

Edited by Harper
  • Like 2

i play 3 sandboxs, Wurm, Xsyon and Mortal Online, all 3 got less then 4 devs and im very proud of what they have accomplished so far. However i can tell you really dislike that jason dude, But im curious harper after all your posts, What games have you worked on/created if ya dont mind me asking?

Myself I dont see the use of free or purchased assets as a issue. I think one of the biggest problems with a lot of Indy games is graphics. You have this programmer with a vision. Sometimes its a awesome vision that they turn into reality and the excellent gameplay is overshadowed by god awful graphics. I am sure they are even like myself and want to create original art assets themselves.

The big problem comes into play is that they are excellent programmers but not artists. I think if more of these Indy games used assets that were free or purchased it would allow them to get their game out looking half decent on the cheap and maybe earn some money to hire their own artists to make the assests they truly want. Not to mention by not being artists they introduce problems into the game from not having optimized art.

Gameplay only is enough for a lot of people and as long as it looks good for others, but these days most people want the eyecandy and the gameplay you know in the same game.

I think this guy needs some tougher skin though as these days a large percent of the MMO forum community is just full of vitriol and hate. I can only imagine what would happen if he was exposed to some of the same type posts and emails Rolf probably gets on a daily basis. Permanent facial ticks and uncontrollable twitching seems to come to mind when I think of that.

i play 3 sandboxs, Wurm, Xsyon and Mortal Online, all 3 got less then 4 devs and im very proud of what they have accomplished so far. However i can tell you really dislike that jason dude, But im curious harper after all your posts, What games have you worked on/created if ya dont mind me asking?

Ive worked on mutlple heroengine teams none of them noteworthy. Which is why I quit, if you want websites I can get them but pretty much I was the network engineer for a shitty pirate game and ended up becoming the lead developer and decided that the engine is absolutely worthless and the people that use it are just lazy as hell.

It doesnt matter, I obviously cant show simple logic to a community and have them sort through the logical fallacies in network engineering. I just made myself look like a fool and thats it, so Ill be back in 3-4 for months with my own kickstarter that will already be halfway done, the biggest problem is the server software. Erlang is the most confusing god damn language I have ever tried to learn.

I should mention the code will be halfway done, I have no idea what Im going to do for art.

Edited by Harper

sounds interesting, i like your approach, though i cant wait to see what you come back with :-)

good luck with that Harper ;) guess you are not the only one trying to get a new game going^^ I'm trying myself too, but it's far from anything playable yet, cause I'm just an artist and still...alot has to be learned. I'm just happy I have the luck to work with one of those really talented programmers :D

btw. about mortal online: yeah it fails in alot of ways, but it's playable and they have their own charme in terms of world and how to create a feeling. Actually it seems they changed alot, also graphics wise, since they started. And thats what I think lacks in most Sandbox games....the ability for the devs to have enough time to fight all those damn bugs (and i think sandboxes have mostly a bigger chance to have more bugs than story driven ones) and the time for them to create enough fullfilling content, sandboxes life! through their content

Oh Harper...

*sighs*

Jason, just advice here from someone in the game design world -- stop posting. I can't link images here, but if I could I would link you that picture of the cat's paw on the guy's hand who is typing that says, "It's time to stop." Only bad has come from you posting here, several times now. Just let it go, go develop your game, and stop posting here. This thread will die on its own in time, but if you keep coming back here and posting it just is another thing for people to see and another person will post.

Edited by Postes

Best laugh i've had in a good long time. Last time I read this thread was back on page 2 and I laughed hard, this time by the time I reached this point I had tears in my eyes. Thankyou to all the actors in this show!

*snags Emoo's tears*, continues to resharpen his pitchfork.

Lots of good to read;

/>http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.html

uhhh ray, thats a very interesting site :D you sure you should show something productive in THIS thread?:P

LOL. You guys are attacking a dude who has a vision and is working to achieve that... This is a sad thread. Brash has reinforced herself here. How many things were started by a guy with a vision who had no experience? They laughed at the Wright brothers too. Tbh I can find just as much or if not more B.S. right here in wurm... Maybe you guys should be more passionate about the buggy mess we play everyday instead of trying to tear down a random guy who is motivated and working on a goal. This thread is the wurm community in a nutshell.

What has Rolf done? The same thing, he isn't a client dev, he was a server tech... He put a team around him that builds the game... LOL

I will just say one thing: Daikatana

Thats all.

Greed Monger? More like Greed Daikatana, Greed-tana, Daikamonger... and so. The white elephant of every game designer out there.

Oh Harper...

*sighs*

Btw, sir. I guess I understand you are the very Jason Appleton itself (I was not following this thread at all, and fast reading and jumping from post to post does not let me have the true knowledge about that).

If that... Why in the HELL some Dev from a game would fall SO down to come and """fight""" in some rival´s forum about the true and the lies of his own project? Dont you think thats somewhat... proper from someone who is not secure about himself and his project? (not to mention about someone who has too much free time. Free time that does not match with an intensive development of a so awesome and complex game).

We all know you dont have the littlest idea about programing your game, and your "staff of experienced developers", if its true, its a staff of experienced developers about flash web games or so, as much.

Then,... Why dont you go and keep urself in your closet-studio with your team and finally end something you can show, apart of half-bought videos, and just ignore what good or bad is said about your dream? After all, every true champion only cares about the success or the fall, and does not lose time arguing with others.

You are a busy guy. Go there and keep yourself in your duties, and come here to show us all how wrong we are, some day, or dont come at all. Be a little more professional, please,... and not so (so) amateur, like a new student in the lowest grade of the high school.

Edited: added an "off" as a connector word.

Edited by Vanya
  • Like 7

Btw, sir. I guess I understand you are the very Jason Appleton itself (I was not following this thread at all, and fast reading and jumping from post to post does not let me have the true knowledge about that).

If that... Why in the HELL some Dev from a game would fall SO down to come and """fight""" in some rival´s forum about the true and the lies of his own project? Dont you think thats somewhat... proper from someone who is not secure about himself and his project? (not to mention about someone who has too much free time. Free time that does not match with an intensive development of a so awesome and complex game).

We all know you dont have the littlest idea about programing your game, and your "staff of experienced developers", if its true, its a staff of experienced developers about flash web games or so, as much.

Then,... Why dont you go and keep urself in your closet-studio with your team and finally end something you can show, apart of half-bought videos, and just ignore what good or bad is said about your dream? After all, every true champion only cares about the success or the fall, and does not lose time arguing with others.

You are a busy guy. Go there and keep yourself in your duties, and come here to show us all how wrong we are, some day, or dont come at all. Be a little more professional, please,... and not so (so) amateur, like a new student in the lowest grade of the high school.

Edited: added an "off" as a connector word.

He wont learn, this guy is more sad then I thought in the first place. Oh well after getting more then 3-4 posts deleted due to "legal action". I'm done arguing with this self absorbed moron. He has as much methods and functions for being dishonest then any other con artist. If hes hasnt been a con artist yet youve been in the wrong buisness. Unfortunately he got lucky enough to persuade a bunch of people to give him a 100 grand based soley on an idea so now this crazy moron believes hes important, thats about it. Well Im done, I give up completely and utterly on this game. I feel oh so sorry for those people that spent over 1000 bucks. At least He has no real game talent so theirs no real loss as to being on his bad sad (other then then the banter of hollow threats). It seems like its just easier to ignore the fool but seeing as people payed money to this mmo I don't see that ever happening lol but I'm done with it personally.

I wont ever see this thread again and I wont ever try to look you up again jason. You are just to sad, I found the people I needed on this forums but I'm going back to actually developing and creating a server back-end. You should stop wasting your time and go back to development jason, but oh wait.. you know absolutely nothing about game design...

Oh well, Enjoy randomly getting pissed and threatening to sue random whole forums and other mmos.

Edited by Harper

Personally, I doubt this guys could be the real Jason. If there are no proves... No truth.

• Like 1

Personally, I doubt this guys could be the real Jason. If there are no proves... No truth.

I talked to him on skype 100% real.

Anyway out for good now, (Had to look again. As I found this page in one of my 50-60+ tabs in one of my 4 windows; ahh.. the problems of research)

Edited by Harper

Myself I dont see the use of free or purchased assets as a issue. I think one of the biggest problems with a lot of Indy games is graphics. You have this programmer with a vision. Sometimes its a awesome vision that they turn into reality and the excellent gameplay is overshadowed by god awful graphics. I am sure they are even like myself and want to create original art assets themselves.

I look at it both ways, really. There's a lot of pros and cons of using assets in the gaming world, many refer to it as being an "easy" way to develop. I understand indie developers don't always have the resources, time, or skill to always develop such things like actual player models and that are rigged, animated, and ready to be used. That process, as you can tell from Wurm, takes a long long long time. Usually assets are bought by single-player games and people in gaming designs school to help quicken a project or show off an engine or shader. i guess what irks me is that I want to play a game that has its own design, its own concepts, a truly original game. Most asset-buyers are coders who want to demonstrate what they can do code-wise, and just use prefab assets to demonstrate it. Usually they aren't used in MMORPGs and regular retail games. Being original is important, for instance Wurm made its own armor and looks, it's all custom looking armor that isn't just store-bought and another's person concept -- our armor is made specifically for Wurm, and only Wurm. Assets are just a prefabricated design made for a vague open window of games/genres.

I don't see much concept artwork and designs from Greed Monger, because they don't really have any. They just purchased their goods, so their art design and concepts are just boughten goods that someone else thought up of, not Jason, or any developer. I would of thought if you were going to raise $30,000 (and get $90,000) for such a professional team and big MMORPG design, you would of... hired and or recruited an actual modeler, animator, and rigger? Maybe they have one, but it just seems from this stage it's just boughten goods in a boughten engine and mooshed together to form a game.

There's two ways to really look at a game -- as a consumer, and as a designer. Greed Monger may be fun to play as the general audience consumer, but I guess as a designer I look at it and just sort of shrug, and it doesn't hold my interest. It's just not really that original in concept or artistic design. It looks like a few other games, mainly Second Life with the whole land plots, and the art as I said before is just already existing work out there. By no means do I bash buying assets, if you don't have the art team behind you, I understand it, but you'll always sort of have that sort-of unoriginal feeling to me.

Edited by Postes
  • Like 3

Usually they aren't used in MMORPGs and regular retail games. Being original is important, for instance Wurm made its own armor and looks, it's all custom looking armor that isn't just store-bought and another's person concept -- our armor is made specifically for Wurm, and only Wurm. Assets are just a prefabricated design made for a vague open window of games/genres.

B-but our bisons were bought.

Thats why they look like ######

Probably were, but there is a difference between and entire game being bought and just a few exceptions. There's a large difference in that, and I agree I think bison look ugly.

We (Wurm Online) outsourced some of the most time consuming graphical development tasks to get as much done as possible, but we have not bought any pre-fabricated assets to my knowledge.

• Like 6

i love how they try to make up as much stuff to sound believable to try and bash the game's reputation and players..

We (Wurm Online) outsourced some of the most time consuming graphical development tasks to get as much done as possible, but we have not bought any pre-fabricated assets to my knowledge.

In the other hand, as something opossite to Wurm, they (Daika Monger) have started with a nice amount of money to hire devs and so in little time,... And all they have done is to buy or use pre-fabricated stuff, and they have not even made it functional yet!!

They started with more money, they started (at least they say that) with more experience in games (yeah... playing Tetris), they started with more stuff and a more numerous and great staff... And what they have done and what they have right now? Just a web with designs picked up from others´s hands. Not even a demo.

Even the videos were bought and even the videos are generic stuff!!

Edited:

Oooohh!! And the new New: for $20 you can test the beta. When in the HELL you had to pay for testing a beta?

Im starting to believe that all the players in the forum are paid, or they are multi-accounts of some bunch of people. That crap cant be true. Just plain that.

Edited by Vanya