Sign in to follow this  
Shagsdeval

Cart ability for new players

On 2/2/2016 at 7:10 AM, Evilreaper said:

the purpose of F2P is just to see how challenging the game is and get a taste of wurm, and encourage the player to go premium... anything that encourages people to make F2P alts is a huge -1 in my opinion....

On 1/30/2016 at 1:53 PM, NeeNee said:

-1 as well. Premium should be something that's worth it. Wurm doesn't need to be a freebie game. 

On 1/30/2016 at 1:33 PM, JakeRivers said:

For everyone one of my friends that came to play wurm being able to use a cart and team was a big incentive to go premium after watching the premium folks operate a cart for a week.

On 1/30/2016 at 11:31 AM, Maiya said:

game is changing too much too take of the challenge to survive

this take of one more to need prem

and of course is a great help for all alts around game 

nope un-prem player can use small cart and large cart 

no need to change this 

On 1/30/2016 at 11:30 AM, Evening said:

Being able to do "more" as premium and "less" as non-premium has a reson. An obvious one.

For all the negative comments saying premium would drop in value a lot more or premium would be less of a goal to reach, don't forget the fact that your skill can't go past 20. If dragging a large cart with animals hitched to it was as slow as riding it, no real harm would be done. There would still be a challenge if a non premium player meets a strong enemy. They would have to stop dragging the cart with animals hitched and run off to a guard tower (possibly get lost) then get to their cart again and trot along home. Allowing this to happen would only let non premium characters carry more items back and forth without dragging around 700 kg of rock shards or ore each trip. Don't be too salty about the idea

Prem up, not much point in playing a game with the limitations set by not having a prem account.

I've always thought that you should be able to hitch a single horse, bull, bison, or even now a ram to a small cart.  Then just make it so you can activate a rope to lead the hitched small cart. 

7 minutes ago, Aaron_IRL said:

I've always thought that you should be able to hitch a single horse, bull, bison, or even now a ram to a small cart.  Then just make it so you can activate a rope to lead the hitched small cart. 

This has been suggested before, but the OP seems to want to be able to move large cart size loads with a non prem account, even though with the non prem what is the point, since you can not load/unload crates anyways. Unless he plans on using rafts to increase the bulk size of the load.

I say tough on this, if you want to move large loads get prem.

Edited by JakeRivers

I'd be all for something like this. Maybe not a small cart with 1 animals, but a "pack mule". You can "hitch" a horse to a large "saddle bag" that prevents the horse from being ridden, but can still be lead. The bags could hold ~50 items or 500kg or even start it at 10 items/100kg and have it increase based on QL to 50 items/500kg. Not much, but still a step up from a small cart. It would still only be able to travel at your walking speed ( or the "hitched" speed of the horse, whichever is slower ).

That would be a definite step up from a small cart for *speed*, but at a big decrease in capacity. 500kg is enough to transport 20 logs, which can go a long ways towards building a small starter house.

Edited by zethreal
I'm dumb.
  • Like 1

Remembering my newbie times it was a great thing to see "elder" people riding carts. It was a really great incentive and decision point to prem myself up. I could carve away for much longer working on skills below 20 skill before premming up but I wanted the BIG difference of hauling things around - and the extra safety in fights.

So 1- from me

• Like 1

A friend and I tried making newbie alts on Xanadu, and we wanted to wander around until we found a nice secluded place to settle. It was a nightmare trying to lug around our sad little foods and low-quality foraged cottons, and anvils and nails and whatever stuff we were making for the moment just trying to survive as we wandered. It was just too time-consuming to have to re-make the heavy stuff every time we got to a spot where we needed to pause and try to find food and whatnot.

I've started a fresh alt on Xanadu when it opened and wandered a lot looking for a best spot. Then built the basic infrastructure, searched for the mining resources etc.  Loved it. Did the same on am untouched WU server. Loved it again.  We are all different :)

hm... the basic idea is a good one, but without limitations it will have bad outcomes.

let's see

there would need to be a check that you are on the ground, otherwise you could lead a cart from a max-traits max-gear hell horse at 40+km/h (for example)

this would add the ability to move unlimited weight (see crates, unfinished piles, whatnot) to anyone capable of "leading" the cart/wagon

there would need to be a permission check, otherwise you could just take any hitched cart from others or others take yours

i do like the ram+small cart combo however :)

• Like 1

I'd much prefer the small cart + animal option - being able to use an animal-drawn large cart is absolutely not necessary to playing the game, it's just a convenience.  I can also see a small cart + animal being useful to premium folks, for example high-skill farmers working their way around a large farm at harvest time; after a while, the extra weight of all those harvested crops + backpacks (or satchels) pretty much means having to drag a small cart or similar around as you go, or keep running back to an FSB to unload.

+1 to this really

The small cart notion would also be nice.

Just as a note : My only incentive to prem up first time was to get a deed going so I could stop having to repair my cottage ;)

I'm all for this. It's hard enough for beginning players. It'll keep more people in the game. Probably help the economy. What's going to happen when veterans finally start quiting and the players in the game become sparce?

Large loads will never get moved around I imagine.

Simple, if you want to drive a cart, prem up, the game will not survive on non-prem players regardless.

The paywall on riding and commanding are both pretty well timed reminders that the game is still using a paid model. Comes during times of enough urgency that it helps tip the scale into finally paying.

As much as I want to -1 this topic. We have very low subscribers at the moment. I do not have the stats of why or when people leave, if it is when they first join or some time into the game. (a GM or dev might know). A couple years ago again this would instantly get shot down. Now is the time not to take drastic measures, but to atleast change the code even allow 19.99 mind logic to drive a cart instead of 20.1 to ride the cart. (so that the devs have to change one line of code instead of completely writing new code and have possible bugs with it.) We need more changes like this here to keep the ones that immediately leave the game, stay in the game. You can not argue again that numbers are outrageous where we have too many players. TBH we could slam every person in the game into Xanadu and still wouldn't have more than 2 people per square km. (we have around 2k subscribers and divide that by (32km X 32km) if you wanna check my math its at 1.95) That is mind blowing that we can have that few people in an area that big... I believe I have gotten my point across enough... so it is a big, +1 for me. 

Edited by polarbear

2 hours ago, polarbear said:

We have very low subscribers at the moment. I do not have the stats of why or when people leave

I do. 50% of the people I introduced the game to quit because of the crushing bore timers, and 50% quit because GMs allowed outrageous griefing.

2 hours ago, polarbear said:

TBH we could slam every person in the game into Xanadu and still wouldn't have more than 2 people per square km. (we have around 2k subscribers and divide that by (32km X 32km) if you wanna check my math its at 1.95)

Checked the math - it's wrong. If everyone got slammed to xanadu you'd lose my 13 deeds and every alt I premium, so it would be less than the two people per square km from all the people who quit.