Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

A One World/server Revamp Idea

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/77110-three-months-five-hundred-euro-a-fair-and-unbiased-analysis-of-the-game/#entry763433

This thread is kind of a reply to the posts in the link above about how wurm could use some eve factor.

Well, I would leave the skill system wurm has now as is since as I see it, its good as is. Yes Im sure there are skills others will say needs tweaking, but other then that its fine.

First off, really need to get known bugs fixed, and strengthen the server and client files.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/77110-three-months-five-hundred-euro-a-fair-and-unbiased-analysis-of-the-game/page__st__20#entry763568

Server 1: Kind of as now. Warring kingdoms, mixture of mobs, deeds, defenses, towers etc. same resources.

Server 2: Can't plant deeds, can build stuff* including towers, a couple of more valuable resources.

Server 3: Can only build towers, tough mobs, another couple of resource types.

Server 4: Can't build anything, lots of monstrous mobs, most valuable materials.

Well one way to go about this is to have one large server, without being linked to any other server or cluster. The server

should be about 8x8 the size of independence. With dead in the center a protected or pve area that would cover the size of 2x2 independence maps. So those that wish to play without pvp can do so.

And around the protected area there should be a 1x4 ring/box around it lets call it, the outer ring for now.

Lastly a full out PvP 2x8 on the edge of the server, for now called Free mans land.

There will be water ways that flow all the way out to the edge of the deed.

Add high mind logic ships that sail faster but has the cargo hold of a small cart up to ones that can fit two rafts.

As in small ships that can hit 30km/h+ but need 30+ mind logic

Freedom Skill gain

Plenty of water ways that reach from the center to the outer edge of the server

150-200 dirt layer

Player Standing

Revamp the alignment system to be effected by killing animals and players or taking part in killing other players.(leaving the old system in use for the religions)

So, a player with 0.0 standing is neither Friendly nor Foe, 0.0 - +40.0 is neutral, 40.01 - 70.0 is good, 70.01 - 100 is excellent

-0.01 - -40.0 is Bandit, -40.01 - -70 is Outlaw, -70.01 - -100 is Murderer

Killing or taking part in killing players will lower your standings, while killing animals depending on how strong they are will increase your standing.

Wild cat increase by +0.003

Troll increase by +0.01

Killing a player decrease by -0.50 (Or attack and the player end up dying within 10minutes of your last attack hitting them)

There will not by a 3x gain on this skill

Players with -50.0 standing or lower will not be able to enter the Protected/PvE area without the templars attacking them

Protected/PvE

Well, within this area players can build and live as they please but with limited QL of metals and weaker animals roaming around other then a few trolls and hell critters for players to hunt or watch out for.

The area will be guarded by Templars that will not attack aggressive animals, only players with a negative Standing.

Players can place their own deeds and have their own templars, but towers can not be built within the PvE area.

No PvP

No stealing

No damaging houses

No looting bodies

Alliance/village wars enabled(PvP only no looting or raiding)

1-40QL veins can be found

Each god will have its own starter town.(Mag/Fo/Vyn/Lib)

Each town will have an altar of the god they follow

Each town will have one or two traders

Each town will have a building with beds to rent along with two forages and two ovens

The outer ring

This area is unguarded can either be an unbuild able area to allow own hunting or limited PvP.

IF limited PvP

Players can place their own deeds and hire templars, Towers can be built here.

PvP enabled

Can damage houses

Can loot bodies

Can steal

Can not drain tokens

Strong animals can be found roaming around, with a mix of weaker ones.

1-70QL veins can be found

Alliance/village wars enabled(Same limits PvP/can loot/can steal/cant drain token)

IF unbuild able area

Players can not place deeds

Towers can not be built

Houses and fences can not be built

1-70ql veins can be found

Strong animals can be found roaming around, with a mix of weaker ones.

PvP enabled

Can loot bodies

Can steal

Free mans land

Pretty much just like epic

Players can place their own deed and hire templars.

Can build towers

PvP

Can stealing

Can loot bodies

Can damage houses

Can drain tokens

1-99QL veins can be found

Strongest animals can be found roaming around, with a mix of weaker ones.

Protected area

Outer ring

Free mans land

x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x

Q&A

Why should one server have both PvE and PvP on it?

​That way there will always be a supply of weapons, tools, and materials to use if you wish to buy them rather then make em yourself. So if you change your mind on what kind of play style you want to experience without having to re-level skills and buy new gear.

Why such a large server?

To support a large number of players once Wurm is more "player friendly" and or popular.

More area to hunt, gather materials, explore, and live off of.

End the need/want of new servers every few months.

Why not just use the server link/border system?

So everyones on one server, not limited to just one server of animal use, Dont need to maintain a number of "camps" to keep animals at for raiding other servers. Can go any where by cart/animal.

Edited by Ronnie

-1 sorry no way.

The whole Idea is not going to fly for most people.

In fact it will never happen here.

• Like 4

If I wanted to play Eve where I am at risk of gankings by other humans to get to the good stuff without paying for it I would be playing Eve.

You can still have a risk vs. rewards location based structure for PVE that is identical to that of PVP, you just remove the human vs. human fighting that many people simply do not care for and replace it with mob fighting. While PVP thrives on human conflict and prefers that as a solution to all problems, PVE would much rather have the GMs as a neutral third party deal with any actual human conflicts that do exist.

For example if marble was only available in distant lands protected by hostile croc spawns, it would be more rare and valuable creating risk vs. reward. This is not the same thing as a cartel that bottles up a dragon and milks it for offspring skin, PVE should by about open access to all and limited but not unique supply for those who dare risk. However the vocal minority has already cried out they was denied access to marble floors because it required the minor risk of looking for it across the land or being lucky to have it at no risk other than cave spawns they have to wait for the templar to get at, and the devs relented and now everyone has it or knows a neighbor that does and there simply is no market for it.

So even though risk vs. reward makes for a much more interesting dynamic game, a generation has been raised in the era of participation trophies and instant gratification and have no concept of what that actually means.

Edited by yarnevk

QUICK! SHOOT THE IDEA DOWN! *aims the Howitzers* Kill iiiitttt!!!

Edit: If this was ever implemented, it'd be a new game-play all its own and would need its own cluster.

There's ALOT of people who don't even want to catch of whiff of PVP or any of that, so they play on freedom.

I am quite content with Epic's current PvP system aswell.

A nice idea, but... would never work.

Edited by Radni

-1 sorry no way.

Thought I'd never ever agree but -1 so much to OP I think you should start playing another game.

Edited by Tineen

-1 heh will never ever fly....My vote heck to the no way!

-1 sorry no way.

I agree.

This really doesn't make much sense as a setup, having people who want to pvp be restricted to outer areas of the map, and have to go through wurms long travel times to go fight each other is pretty much the opposite of encouraging pvp.

Add more weapons along with balance them out

So at least each weapon class has a slow but high damage and a fast but low damage weapon. So 2 two handed swords, 2 one handed swords, ect....

So players can pick between either attacking fast but weak, or slow and hard.

Have different armor types protect against different attack types

Slash/chop/bash/stab

One armors better at one defense then the others.

This already exists.

Small maul, large maul,

Small axe, huge axe

Shortsword, 2h sword

Chain is good vs mauling, weak to piercing/cutting

Plate is good vs cutting/piercing, weak to mauling

This really doesn't make much sense as a setup, having people who want to pvp be restricted to outer areas of the map, and have to go through wurms long travel times to go fight each other is pretty much the opposite of encouraging pvp.

This already exists.

Small maul, large maul,

Small axe, huge axe

Shortsword, 2h sword

Chain is good vs mauling, weak to piercing/cutting

Plate is good vs cutting/piercing, weak to mauling

your missing the point, your compairing 1hand weapons to two hand weapons.

Great sword vs Broad sword

Sabre vs Scimitar

That kind of mix.... not this bloody vague setup we have now...

Also:

Chain armour generally provides a middle ground base defense with moderate penalties to speed. The wearer will walk moderately slower and have a moderately slower attack speed. Chain armor offers a defense bonus vs. stabbing damage

I mean different types of chain mail, padded chain mail, plate mail, full plate, breast plate, ect.

And Those of you that play on Epic, look at how your clusters setup

Epic_names.jpg

Home servers on the out side, and PvP server in the center. Dont you think this is some what, what the devs already have in mind? This way PvE in the center and PvP on the outskirts.

Edited by Ronnie

+1

I'll say the following:

One server is always better than muli in any game for keeping the population together and promoting trade.

The rings concept is already proven to work (ala eve) and the purely pve people there like it just fine.

I will also say this:

Not sure the current game engine can support this size server; and if it can, I don't think most people's computers can in the current engine.

A change of this magnitute would require a massive shift, ala wurm 2.0. You would have to remove all the existing servers, which would kill the playerbase.

Wurm has more important things to do first.

+1 I really like the aspect of the ideas, I see alot of it from mortal mostly grabbed but I did like that once your dead there you have to either go loot your body before they do or hope your crap is there. I wanna see more this in games but most mmos are going to be kiddy cornered because thats how some people are. They want it handed to them not earned.

No to combined PVP/PVE. Mortal Online is a great example why not to do it.

The amazing growth of PVE here should prove there are plenty of people that do not want to kill their fellow man for sport and fun, but have no problems killing fantasy creatures. You would loose the entire population of PVE if you say their creation and gathering is nerfed from now, because you are forcing them to participate in PVP for better stuff.

More forum warrior PVP posters saying they need more sheep for their wolves is really just because they are bad PVP players that cannot compete, so they need people worse than them in the game that do not want to fight so they can get any 'PVP' at all, which their victims instead would describe as homocide and robbery by gankers, and hardly a resource motivated war between kingdoms.

PVE can have the same risk from mobs, they do not need PVP ganking farmers to add the risk vs. reward to the game.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

I do think that one world, even if set up on multiple ways on various ways would benefit the game.

I'd say go to epic and you can sort of find this type of thing.

And again -1 to combining servers.

I am all for having all the Freedom servers mashed together and everybody plays on one big (insanely huge!) map. The idea of creating communities and markets based on regional proximity like ye olden days sounds fun to me. I am not at all interested in being unable to travel somewhere (like, to the ocean) because I'd have to cross a PVP zone to get there.

I dislike PVP immensely. I enjoy the fighting against something smarter than computer AI, but hate the ugly competitive profanity laden talk that goes with it. And you're proposing a system whereby I will constantly be worth less than those that do PVP, because the area where you're saying I'm allowed to settle will have weaker materials, weaker mobs, weaker everything. So for me to gain even 60ql material to work with, I have to go do something I loathe, taking precious time away to travel there (including the probable building and maintenance of a second base camp in the contested zone), do all the gathering work and fight my way back home against players and mobs - all this just because I want to upgrade my shoes? Alternatively, I pay through the nose to get it materials from someone who is fine with PVP, being price gouged as all my neighbors also try to hire that guy to provide THEM with the materials I want?

No. This is ill-thought out and alienates every freedom player who has specifically chosen not to engage in pvp in any form. PVE players outnumber PVP by a wide, wide margin. Reverse your proposed map so that PVP players are clustered in the center to have the weaker materials and all the skill limitations that will flow from that system, but have all the fun of beating on each other and capturing each other's castles in compensation.

There is this thing called Rod of transmutation, I only said veins were limited, nothing about rock tiles.

And you cant get ganked while within the protected area. As PvP would be turned off.

Hoping in and out of "safe zones" can be fixed rather easy. Make a 20tile boarder before the PvP area that disables healing,bandaging and recovering over time. And that your unable to shoot into said area from out side.

This is your proposed system for PVE players:

Well, within this area players can build and live as they please but with limited QL of metals and weaker animals roaming around other then a few trolls and hell critters for players to hunt or watch out for.

The area will be guarded by Templars that will not attack aggressive animals, only players with a negative Standing.

Players can place their own deeds and have their own templars, but towers can not be built within the PvE area.

Limited QL of metals - Say what? So if I choose to avoid the PVP areas, I will never be able to advance past a certain point in my crafting skills? How is this fair in any way?

Weaker animals roaming - So I cannot gain fight skill easily (or eventually at all) in order to get better at fighting so I can beat off the animals that will, at some point, overrun my deed. How is this fair in any way? How is this going to preserve one of the selling point of Wurm, the fact that the environment is dangerous?

Towers cannot be built - Say what? Are you going to give us poor PVE players some wild cats to toy around with, something even a newbie can take on, so we just don't need towers? So the only safety for the "few trolls" and "hell criters" is to run for a deed which probably has locked gates on it? How is this fair in any way?

Your proposed system, at least as it relates to how PVE will function, is deeply flawed and somewhat insulting to my intelligence as a player. You are asking me to live in a sheltered box with no challenge, crippled skill advancement and no way to defend myself other than staying within my four walls and letting my templar handle anything larger than a rat - since it will be difficult-to-impossible at best to get any better at sword swinging.

PVE specific players are not adverse to conflict and adventure - we are adverse to fighting other humans. Rethink your proposal - PVP players should not be rewarded with access to the best of everything simply because they are PVP players. That's ludicrous.

This is your proposed system for PVE players:

Limited QL of metals - Say what? So if I choose to avoid the PVP areas, I will never be able to advance past a certain point in my crafting skills? How is this fair in any way?

Weaker animals roaming - So I cannot gain fight skill easily (or eventually at all) in order to get better at fighting so I can beat off the animals that will, at some point, overrun my deed. How is this fair in any way? How is this going to preserve one of the selling point of Wurm, the fact that the environment is dangerous?

Towers cannot be built - Say what? Are you going to give us poor PVE players some wild cats to toy around with, something even a newbie can take on, so we just don't need towers? So the only safety for the "few trolls" and "hell criters" is to run for a deed which probably has locked gates on it? How is this fair in any way?

Your proposed system, at least as it relates to how PVE will function, is deeply flawed and somewhat insulting to my intelligence as a player. You are asking me to live in a sheltered box with no challenge, crippled skill advancement and no way to defend myself other than staying within my four walls and letting my templar handle anything larger than a rat - since it will be difficult-to-impossible at best to get any better at sword swinging.

PVE specific players are not adverse to conflict and adventure - we are adverse to fighting other humans. Rethink your proposal - PVP players should not be rewarded with access to the best of everything simply because they are PVP players. That's ludicrous.

Guess you havnt played to many games out there other then PvE servers. This system balances risk vs reward. Higher the risk, greater the reward.

This isnt a carebear hello kitty island setup.

There are items already ingame that players can use to get 99ql veins, How would you be limited? Bo ho, you have to spend a week ingame selling things to make the coin to buy it. These ideas that "games most hold your hand" nonsense really has to come to an end.

And I did say a few trolls and hell critters roaming around. A few for the size of the land mass would be greater then 300.

Edited by Ronnie

Forcing pve players to play in a pvp enviroment is not a good idea, and countless games as proved this before.

-1 to this terrible, horrible idea. This was thought only through the eyes of a PvP player and it would disrupt the game for most of the population.