Sign in to follow this  
Jondo

Deed, Settlements, Village, Shed, Homes... Not Clear For Me

Hi,

I've just been expropriated from my 1x1 shed because of deed mechanism. I could have started it, finished a door and almost finished a window. The day after, unable to add a single plank because I was in a new village which does not allow me to modify buildings.

I think I misunderstood the deed mechanism.

So what the difference between a building, a deed, a settlement and a village?

A building is what you create using planks/nails/bricks/whatever and at the end you have a writ through which you can allow access to the building to various friends only etc as long as you've attached locks on the doors. No one can place a deed over this, but they can plant perimeter over it. If a deeds perimeter covers your house, you will not be able to continue building walls, or repair/improve them.

A deed is a purchasable, plantable token which will guarantee ownership of the land it covers. It can be more or less any rectangular shape, although I think there's a limit that E/W can't be less than 1/4 of N/S and vice versa. The larger the deed, the more it costs to plant and maintain. The deed allows you to set all sorts of permissions from who's allowed to dig, build, pick stuff up, who's on KoS, so on and so forth. It also allows you to respawn there if you die, and assuming there's more than 30 days upkeep in the coffers, your buildings, walls, signs and lamps will suffer no decay.

Settlements and villages are terms often used in place of deed, but really it's any gather of buildings/abodes/whatever where a group of people live, be it on a deed or off.

The E-W length cannot be more than twice that of the S-N length and vice versa.

KoS = kill on sight. If you add someone to this list, anyone entering the perim will be targetted and attacked by the spirit templar on deed (2 silver to hire, 1 silver upkeep per guard). Guard tower guards will also attack if the guard tower is on deed.

Edited by Asciana

Jondo, Perhaps someone placed a deed nearby and their perimiter is now covering your house. This is allowed to be done by deed game mechanics. Examine the ground to see what message you get and if your house is now within a deeds perimiter you will no longer be able to build it any further. Unfortunately this happens at times but it is the only fair mechanic that makes deeds have precedence over houses that are placed upon free land.

=Ayes=

You can ask to be a citizen of the village and continue work/repairs on your house. If you offer some service, be it one they are lackign or manual labor for some project, they may be willing to do so.

Ok so if I understand correctly, when we see "you enter in ThePlace" and "you leave ThePlace", it informs me about deed, not villages we can see on Wurm maps ?

And when someone is searching people to form a village, he calls for people come and work on his deed ?

The villages on the maps are almost always deeds, yes, but not all deeds are marked on the maps.

Sometimes - yes, though some people build deeds on their own, and others just their citizens do whatever they want.

Also, a deed's perimeter area (which is not part of the official village, more like a buffer zone around it on all sides) will extend past the "You Enter/You Leave" messages, and that perimeter area is non buildable for people not in that village. So your 1x1 shed is probably outside the village proper but inside their perimter. You can "Examine" the ground tile to see if ioit is perimeter owned by some village.

For many, the terms "deeds," "settlements" and "villages" are used to mean the same thing. You use a settlement form, to plant a deed, and thus form a village, and they all mean pretty much the same.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Jondo, Perhaps someone placed a deed nearby and their perimiter is now covering your house. This is allowed to be done by deed game mechanics. Examine the ground to see what message you get and if your house is now within a deeds perimiter you will no longer be able to build it any further. Unfortunately this happens at times but it is the only fair mechanic that makes deeds have precedence over houses that are placed upon free land.

=Ayes=

Calling it fair is a big overstatment.

And there could be alternatives.

And it will always be used by those who can afford it to grief those who can't. This is the only rule that makes Wurm P2W.

I really think this was not intentionnal. This is not a problem. However, I tried to negociate with the owner to compensate all my newbie work on my tiny shed, asking for some nails or a good tool in exchange of my writ. All I managed to get was a cotton.

It was quite rude but that's also Wurm.

It happens Jondo and it can certainly be frustrating, especially if you didn't realise there was other activity in the area. As explained, a deed is land that is owned by a player with a buffered perimeter around it that cannot be touched or built upon. A settlement or a village can be a group of people working together to accomplish things but they don't have to be on a deed to do so - although they commonly are. Any fenced area with activity on it should be be respected, even if undeeded. It's just good manners. A single 1x1 shack is easily to overlook however, since they often dot the landscape.

I'm no high end player or anything, but if you're on Deliverance, sing out and I'll give you some slightly-better-than-new-kid tools to get you on your way to finding a new spot (that you'll love better than the old one).

im also new and what happend to you kinda stinks but it is how the game works, as for the person being rude i find that when you ask for things you are less likely to get it as everything is hard in this game to get. However if you ask for nothing and show you are willing to work for things people will start offering you everything. imo