Sign in to follow this  
Wraithglow

~Independence Community Map

O_o  I'm not sure what you did to map roads between sinthoras and havilah, but we have no road there that connects to the main road at all x_x

Check my skillfully edited-paint-pic ;):

Wv9NIhp.png

1) Between sinth and havilah (both my deeds) Those 2 red parts dont exist, and the blue part is a private piece of deed-road fenced off almost completely on my Sinthoras deed (it would need some serious climbing to be able to get up there to start with)

2) Then a bit more uphill going on the mainroad, you draw two connections there with the main road, splitting of in roads going to hermit-mountain.

** First, the lower road you draw there, is a 1 tile old road half decaying there, in no way connected to the mainroad anymore since a long time, semi-steep hill terrain full of fruittrees.

** Second, the road above, running up the mountain?? that mountain is amongst the steepest on inde server, not sure if you mapped a mine-shaft running in the mountain to the top. But a road going from the mainroad, to the top of that mountain is physically impossible and is simply not there (I checked just now)

** Third, those 2 connections to the mainroad dont exist. The left side of the mainroad there goes up under a 60-120slope almost along the entire way of that mainroad (running from havilah to the insanity area), I just ran my Fo priest along the entire main roadd from havilah to the fork in the road leading to insanity (just outside that picture), and not a single connection whatsoever with the main road :s  (tiles go up for about 10-15 tiles under a 60-120slope to go even further up blending into that big mountain, on the leftside of that mainroad)

EDIT: Sorry that I maybe seem a bit agressive :s, but you caught me completely off guard with that pic XD I know that area almost blindly (and have used wurm-mapper-program to recreate a large chunk of that area tile by tile for personal use), so I was amazed by all those roads you drew there that I ran out to go check up there in case someone did some serious terraforming up there, but not finding any sort of roads or signs off terraforming where abouts the roads should be that you drew.

Its just all very high sloped area left of the mainroad between Havilah and insanity area, going from steep forest tiles to steep clifftiles.

EDIT 2: Here is a the same part, but on the detailed map (the height-map dump)

Clqfrsy.png

Edited by Lycanthropic

Two icons need to be added to Storm's End location.

1. Mailbox is in pretty much that exact spot
  2. Guard Tower is in THAT exact location

Thank you!  The area on the map is 43x33y.

iOMioNg.png

Also, sorry if you can't see it very well, the highways marked here in red are highways found on the community map, however they do not exist.  Please remove them.  The highways sections marked in light blue, need to be added to the map.

1. Red lines represent highways on the community map that need to be removed.
  2. Light blue lines are highway sections that need to be added to the community map.

Thank you!

OlZBIuO.png

Hello i was wondering if you could add my deed to the map. Its co-ords are 61-62 y - 9x and it's called " Devil's Peak ". thank you Shagsdevil

Updated. Hugh, the colours are better for the grass and stuff, but the yellow you use for the deeds + names is still a bit off :)

• Like 1

I would like to get my deed and a new road I made added to the map.  The deed name is: "Night Sky Weaponsmithing" and is at 33x, 51y right next to the highway.

My new road is in blue on the image (yes, it turns that much) and runs from the highway to Gurubear's

There's also a strech of road that hasn't existed in a while

Thanks in advance

eC6iOU0.png

Check my skillfully edited-paint-pic ;):

-snip-snip-

EDIT: Sorry that I maybe seem a bit agressive :s, but you caught me completely off guard with that pic XD I know that area almost blindly

EDIT 2: Here is a the same part, but on the detailed map (the height-map dump)

Gud'day Lycanthropic,

An utter delight to hear from you.

Thanks to your input.   I am now able to put Sinthors in its correct place and remove that private road (the one you marked in Yellow.)

But please... next time, before you go jumping up and down and yelling that the roads are in the wrong place, could you please be so kind as to take a few hours and do a proper parallex corrected over lay.

Correcting_Lycanthropics_Error_2013-08-0

The left image is the properly matched overlay.  The Center image is Rolf's satelite view image (unobscured) and right is your image with your incorrect interpetation of my mapping of the roads.

Where an east west road showed a serious slant up hill, I determined the lowest point of that road (closest to sea level) and used that as the start point mark to draw in the straight east west road

I have then compensated for the alteration this would produce to a villages position as I removed the 35 degree slant angle that falsely moved towns north ward if they were up a tall hill or on a mountain side.

Rolf's Satellite view is not straight down looking but looking from the south at some 35 degrees from the vertical.

Then there is that big grey mountain, which is just too far south of where it actually is.

This was the red herring that led you to copy my roads into the wrong place on that mini map you made.

I achieved proper positioning by 1st matching the scale of Rolf's Map to Mamadarkeness's original map.  Then corrected for the roughly 35 degree angle from vertical position that Rolf put his camera at for that Satellite image view of Indy.

So to your corrections

1... I have removed the private road (one in yellow),

2... Put your Sinthoras deed in its proper place,

3... moved Havilah and Dark Forest to their proper places...

4... and spent an hour or so conducting a very good stab at approximating the shape of that darned big mountain, the north side of which we can not see, due to the 35 degrees angle south of vertical the Satelite view image was captured from.

Could you please be so kind as to review the next msg which will incorporate these corrections.

BTW.....Something you are NOT aware of, which both Mamadarkness and Wraithglow are......

..... in RL (many, many years ago when I was a young lad), I studied Cartography/Surveying and worked in the field for many years.  Thus I have some knowledge on how to make maps from "aerial photos".

So... thank you again for showing us (the mapping team) where on the Rolf view the named deeds actually are.

Next message, will contain the corrected up Dark Forest coast with that big mountain

Kindest regards!   Hughmongus

volunteer cartographer for the Indy Map...

Gud'day Wraithglow,

Thank you for your note.  Happy to hear the PNG's are making for less trouble.

Do you have Anti aliaising turned on, out of curosity?   I have turned it off so that there is not a blending of text with the back ground.  I have done this as ppl do zoom in to get a close look, at places.

To the matter at hand.  Just incorporated the corrections from Lycanthropic and per the above, took a good stab at aproximating the shape of that mountain.

Any chance you could persuade Enki or Orcale to use there GM powers to pop up vertically to high altitude to get us a new Satellite image of wurm, but this time, please from the vertically over the centre  of Indy?

Okay here is the Dark Forest coast and roads and that mountain "reshaped"

Dark_Forest_Rds_Coast_2013-08-04_Updated

Hope this is of some use to you.  The above is 1 to 1 scale with the existing map.

(yes to the kind folks from Blackdog Island, I have not forgotten you, just busy putting out bush fires).

Warmest regards! Hughmongus

Please 2 more to delete: 

Wateredge - 33x 41y 

Mount Home - 33x 49y

Thanks

hehe, yeah, I know, I had a feeling that was what happend.

(I thought you passed through the area actually, didnt know you only based your plans on the heightmap)

But still, there is no road above my merchant symbol.

The mainroad is the road between the yellow havilah box and the merchant symbol.

(just wanted to post this quick because I have to go for a bit, I'll be back to do an edit on this post, with something that might be interesting)

Edit:

Ok, back. about 2.5 years ago, a map came online on the forum and on a website. It was pretty heavy debated, because it seemed to be made by the creator using not-so-clean methods.

At that same time, on the forum there was an offical (it was even pinned) topic called: Project FRAM (which now seems to have dissapeared from the forum search). Project FRAM, if I can remember it (2-3 years isnt that fresh in memory anymore), was were people would map their area tile by tile (1 tile being 1 pixel or something) and then it was combined or something. Not sure at all.

But soon after project FRAM had taken shape, the creator of that first map did an overlay with FRAM and his map (it was a perfect fit, now that I think about it, that might be why project FRAM seems to have dissapeared now from the forum, maybe a GM that was active back then can shine a light on this to correct me?).

It was a topdown view of around 60% of independence, and because my deed-area was on it, I saved it to see how I could expand and plan my deed a bit.

I cut out the portion of the part that you adjusted, to show how it really looks in topdown view (havilah has much more sea filled in by now, but I didnt add it on that picture, because I just wanted to clear the problems with the roads we are having in this topic XD)

6Vp5mto.png

I'm not sure if its ok for me to actually post the entire map I saved from that website back then, maybe a GM can give a green or red light? (its not much different then the heightmap Rolf posted, other that its a topdownview of the map, with allot of blank holes in it, but I want toask first incase I cant)

It might improve inde mapmaking allot (altho there were huge blank areas on it, which could perhaps be filled in with rough drawings using the heightmap from Rolf) (heck, the website might even exist still, I didnt bother to save the link back then because I just saved the picture, and my google skills seem very rusty X_x)

Edited by Lycanthropic

2 Deeds to add to the map please.

Tyverium  on the coast at 28X 13Y Samling Fjord    Mayor...Tyveris

Mount Vynatubo Meditation Station   25X 16Y  Centre of square. Mayor... Lvispriestly.

Many thanks. :)

I edited some more road sections and added a few deeds onto a section of the map; I'd like them implemented when you have time.

1. Roads in red are new proper additions to the community map; you'll also notice if you pull up this image and the community map at the same time that some of the black highway roads have been deleted in my addition to make the area more accurate.  I hope this isn't too confusing.
  2. Red squares outlined in black are deeds to be added to the community map; you'll also notice that I moved some of the former deed markers (Alagaesia and Dark Forest for example)  to more accurate positions.
  3. Mailbox symbols with white marks through them no longer exist in those areas.
  4. The Funny Farm no longer exists either.

New deeds to be added are Cargasmic Coast, Wempire, Darkmoore, and Old Folks Home.

Thank you for your time, I'll have more up-to-date additions coming in the future.  Please try to follow this to the best of your ability, as I removed many sections of highway in the Dark Forest area of the community map that do not exist.

h7iZZWx.png

Dawnrise is on the coast at 29x 14y, though I am unsure about the EXACT location of it on the square.

Hello there,

wonder if you could add our deed to the map please, our deed is called "Tranquility" and it is at 55x  49y   top left corner, in between the road and the mountain.

Thanks very much :)

Updated. Slick, I haven't added the new deeds on there - I assume you aren't the mayor of them. The other changes I have made though.

Hugh - I would assume I have anti aliasing on, based on your comments. Makes the text a bit softer :)

As for getting a high level view, I'd suggest sending them a forum PM to see if they will oblige. 

Updated. Slick, I haven't added the new deeds on there - I assume you aren't the mayor of them. The other changes I have made though.

Hugh - I would assume I have anti aliasing on, based on your comments. Makes the text a bit softer :)

As for getting a high level view, I'd suggest sending them a forum PM to see if they will oblige. 

These deeds are the deeds in my Alliance, I post them with permission of the mayors in my Alliance. :)  I assure you everything is proper.

*Actually my mistake, Old Folks Home is the only one not in my Alliance, the others are.

Edited by Slickshot

Needs a small fix for:

Halos Harbor @ 49y, 13x

This deed is actually located in the desert at the top right corner (North-East).

Gud day Wraithglow,

Okay, ty for that info.  I operate with anti aliasing off because at high zoomed in magnifications the letters stay crisp and readable and don't go all blurry.  Also makes it easier to move names around as the anti aliasing leaves shading speckles all over the place.

This also affects roads and other artificates.  Food for thought.

Cheers! Hugh

Gud Wraithglow,

My wife was out and about doing some adventuring and found a place on the map that no longer exists.

Botany Bay at 17x, 60y is gone so it needs removal.

Someone else has planted a New deed there, but as no one was home at the time to ask them, we can not pass on the name of the new deed.

Cheers! Hugh

Updated.

Gud day Wraithglow,

Okay, ty for that info.  I operate with anti aliasing off because at high zoomed in magnifications the letters stay crisp and readable and don't go all blurry.  Also makes it easier to move names around as the anti aliasing leaves shading speckles all over the place.

This also affects roads and other artificates.  Food for thought.

Cheers! Hugh

I am slowly converting the file that I edit into a 2-layer system so that deeds (and their names) are on a separate layer. This means that moving them around is not an issue. I don't think anyone looks at the map at a higher zoom level than me, and everything is still perfectly readable, so I prefer having the softness. Also, all road additions I add in with the pencil rather than line tool, and other objects are copy/pasted.

Project FRAM (which now seems to have dissapeared from the forum search). Project FRAM, if I can remember it (2-3 years isnt that fresh in memory anymore), was were people would map their area tile by tile (1 tile being 1 pixel or something) and then it was combined or something. Not sure at all.

But soon after project FRAM had taken shape, the creator of that first map did an overlay with FRAM and his map (it was a perfect fit, now that I think about it, that might be why project FRAM seems to have dissapeared now from the forum, maybe a GM that was active back then can shine a light on this to correct me?).

It was a topdown view of around 60% of independence, and because my deed-area was on it, I saved it to see how I could expand and plan my deed a bit.

[snip, snip]

Could I please ask for a copy of that file?  It would make my life a lot easier when it comes to correcting mountain positions.

... and it will enable me to see the adjust parts of the coast lines hidden behind mountains in the height map.

Did some digging about and found this for you....   http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Project_FRAM

Also found earlier versions of the FRAM map, not at detailed as the part you showed above, but with enough road detail to verify the road positioning I did of the Insanity hill area.  Of course the 3d view height map is 2 years after FRAM and a lot can change in that time.

so if I could please get a copy of that aerial view you have from straight up (the covers 60% of indy file you mentioned), this Cartographer would greatly appreciate additional data.

Drop me a note via Forum PM, we should keep this area clear for updates.

Cheers! Hugh

Gud'day Wraithglow,

got another disband for you.

Sunnyshore at 29x 44y is gone

I walked an alt over there to verify in person that it no longer exists.

There is a new deed on the coast line north of it, but I do not have permission to post the name of it.  The owner wants to remain anon.

Cheers! Hughmongus

Gud'day Wriathglow,

Got another few disbands for you, up keep has been busy today....

i was able to find these on the map.

16x, 15y  Aug 11, 2013 10:37:29 PM  upkeep disbanded Altopiano S G A

25x, 44y  Aug 11, 2013 9:14:11 PM  upkeep disbanded Beaumont Sur Mer

Cheers! Hughmongus

Hello Wraithglow,

After doing some exploring, I have a list of deeds that can be removed from the Community map:

These are in the Kinoss Canal and Kinoss Bay area . . . .

Mash Mania (22x, 45y) is disbanded

Halo Stables deed (21x, 46y) is now called something else

New Unity (11x, 52y) is gone

Stangate Cross(12x, 51y) is gone

Iconium (11x, 52y) which you just recently added, has been disbanded

Shipwreck (17x, 56y) has been redeeded with a new name

NewTown (16x, 55y) is no longer there

At Zak's Shipyard (17x, 49y) you can add a guard tower

Along the west coast of the Inner sea:

Nice (20x, 39y) has a new name

Calypso (21x, 28y) has a new name

On Black Dog Island:

Sunnyside Harbor (26x, 30y) has been disbanded due to upkeep

Fifteen Men and a Bottle of Rum (26x, 27y) had been disbanded due to upkeep

In the north east by The Western Wall at 13x, 30y, Lakeside Plantation has been disbanded due to upkeep

East coast of The Inner Sea:

Charon's Revenge (33x, 26y) has a new name

Dominia (33x, 25y) has a new name

Moonlight Citadel (35x, 16y) was disbanded due to upkeep

On the Northwest Coast:

Friendswood (12x, 8y) was disbanded due to upkeep

On the Northeast Coast:

Block Port (38x, 5y) and Fort Knox (48x, 6y) were both disbanded by their owners a while ago

Twilight Sanctuary (42x, 8y) was disbanded

Zhentil Keep (40x, 9y) was disbanded

In Colossus Lake:

Memories of Exelon (47x, 18y) is no longer there

Electron (48x, 17y) has a new name

In Crystal Lake:

Soborg (37x, 53y) was disbanded

Deathbone Reef (42x, 50y) is no longer there

Angel Shore (45x, 46y) was disbanded due to upkeep

Redneck Stables (49x, 44y) and Redneck Village (50x, 44y) were disbanded due to upkeep

Ancient Vistas (49x, 42y) was disbanded due to upkeep

That should keep you busy for a little while ;)

Thanks for the continued work you do on the map.

A new large deed area. "Claymore Beach" at 28x 11y. Starting from the clay beach (gray area) and going inland to North for 25 tiles. It's located Between Hopes End and cats spaw. 

Thank You for your efforts.