Sign in to follow this  
Telarin

Flatten on Tile border

I would like to have a flatten command when I right click on a tile border. Instead of flattening 4 points like flattening on a tile, it would just try to even out the two points at either end of the border. This would be VERY helpful when trying to level across a road and in many other occassions.

Interesting idea... I worry however that it might make terraforming TOO easy. :P

Just think of the scenario of building a road along a cliffside - you'd operate on the tile border closest to the cliff, to push some dirt out to extend one corner, then do the same on the outer side, to push some dirt to the corresponding outer corner. Maybe flatten the whole tile then, but possibly not even necessary. Repeat ad infinitem.

Not saying I think it's a non-starter... just I would have less appreciation for the difficulty of some terraforming if something like this existed.

Doubt it's possible to code properly with the current terrain system. Even given otherwise, I'd agree with Artashes.

+/- 0

I'm not sure what your objection is art, i can allready do exactly what you mention with the current flatten command much faster than using the new suggestion would be.

changing 1 border wouldnt significantly alter where you can drop the dirt, and if theres enough dirt allready there the current flatten command can be spammed on the tile to shift a bit of dirt each time.

what it would eliminate the need for is using a massive amount of dirt to raise a single corner that needs it out along the edge of a ramp with a steep drop.

(currently if one of the outer corners of a ramp needs to be raised (say by 1 dirt) you have to flatten the entire uphill tile that corner is part of to the next level up, then dig the 2 corners back out to get the slope back.)

Been brought up many time before, By myself a few times as well.[me=Red]to lazy to bump old post(s)[/me]

Only complaint I could see from this is "Makes teraforming too easy"

But thats a dumb reason so :P

+ more than 1

I'm not sure what your objection is art, i can allready do exactly what you mention with the current flatten command much faster than using the new suggestion would be.

changing 1 border wouldnt significantly alter where you can drop the dirt, and if theres enough dirt allready there the current flatten command can be spammed on the tile to shift a bit of dirt each time.

Well, the first part of that is possibly true, depending how much dirt gets shifted each time (if it's the same number total as with Flatten, I don't see that the time taken will be any different, if you know what needs doing and waste no time). The second part I agree with too - I just think it's conceptually easier for someone unused to it to imagine levelling two points than four (frankly, I don't find Flatten difficult to comprehend at all, but I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people wondering in kchat why it "doesn't seem to be working" for them).

what it would eliminate the need for is using a massive amount of dirt to raise a single corner that needs it out along the edge of a ramp with a steep drop.

(currently if one of the outer corners of a ramp needs to be raised (say by 1 dirt) you have to flatten the entire uphill tile that corner is part of to the next level up, then dig the 2 corners back out to get the slope back.)

This I can appreciate... and again it comes back to whether it makes it too easy or not. Not saying I wouldn't benefit from it. ;D

It should be easier to terraform, that's the point.

1+

Terraforming shouldn't be that easy...

I'd rather not have it tbh.

+1 Simply like flatten, but 2 corners, so 2 dirt from the higher corner to the lower corner, same timer would be fine, so half the efficiency of flatten, just giving finer control.

Because this would add a ton of functionality it should be limited.  Kind of like how you can only raise dirt 3 times your skill, this should have a limit aswell... Maybe you can only start to flatten an edge tile that is 2/3 or 3/4 of your skill.  So if you have 60 digging and the limit is 2/3 than you can flatten a slope maxed at 40, or 45 if it is 3/4.  at 99 skill the max you can flatten is 66, or 74.

This would put a large limit to how you can flatten this way, limiting the factor that would make terraforming "too easy"

Personally I agree with Artashes... and i'm thinking of giving a -1...

But with a limitation on skill like 2/3 i am willing to stay neutral... so

+/- 0

Just dig & drop, alright?

Nada problemo.

I can see some cases where this would be preferable over flattening a whole tile.

+1

Just to the nay-sayers: You wouldn't be able to FR a bridge or anything with this, as the dirt would flow off one of the sides because of the >40 dirt slope. So you'd still need to FR a 2-tile wide area. You also couldn't FR large razor-spines, because of the aforementioned dirt flow. To do it, you'd still have to FR the whole thing and then dig down the excess dirts.

All it'd do is let you flatten some spots where it'd be inconvenient to flatten a whole 4 points (possibly messing up a whole 3x3 area) instead of 2 points (and messing up a 3x2). Not a huge deal, really. And code-wise from a techie non-coder with a mild programming background, I don't see how the current code couldn't be adapted to do this rather easily. So that point is pretty silly.

+1 nothing wrong with terraforming made a bit easier, it not like i get payed to terraform like some guys do to make other stuff.

-1... it would allow for too easy terraforming (and/or griefing even)

+1 ...but added as at say... 30? digging. IE Premium only.

It's making things easier, I see no advantage to this.

+1 im just levelling a large area for my tree farm, and it is annoying