The weekly maintenance restart will happen on Wednesday, May 1st this week.
Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Creationism - meat lego or how to become priest

Posted (edited)

I am against creating an army of alts in any game and unfortunately fastest way to level up a priest is to create your own group of alts and log them from time to time.
In Wurm, creationism does not require any justification, because it fits perfectly into idea of game.

Any character who wants to become a priest must create creatures to level up and expand reign of their faith.

If you are priest, killing animals created by another priest of same deity decreases your alignment.

However, hunting animals created by a priest of another deity increases alignment and faith.

Followers have no such restrictions, but paladins do.

Creationism - animal recipe:
Add radiant gem to 20-50 kg of selected type of meat (amount of meat will determine size of animal).
Type of meat determines model of animal being created (Bear - probably clear, Canine - wolf, Feline - mountain lion, Game - crocodile, Horse - horse, Humanoid - troll, Insect - fog spider).
Quality of meat affects chance of success/failure, failure means loss of gem ql and few kg of meat.
Gem is responsible for body stats of animal, the better ql, the stronger it will be and the more faith and skill gain priest will receive.

Aggressive or not:
If animal is going to be aggressive add 2x teeth (fangs) (in case of humanoids add weapon)
if not, add 4x hooves (in case of humanoids add shield or armor)

If you want it to be normal animal, add a heart.
Charcoal, if it is to be a hell animal (in general, any hell animals with their attacks should give a negative status that blocks skill and faith gain as well as favor regeneration for 1-2 hours).
Add a rift beast heart if animal's attacks are intended to lower alignment and faith for few hours.

Animal's skin can be chosen from:
- fur (fur randomly brown or black),
- scales (crocodile hide),
- pelt (mountain lion or deer skin texture),
- horse hide (random horse color),
- feathers... that would be interesting in my opinion...
360fx360f

Such an animal can't be breed by players, except for those that had a moment of inspiration at time of combining gem and meat, these can be bred normally by player.
In any other case, traits are granted by sacrificing traits of living animals.
That is, priest selects body of animal, he is creating, while leading live animal, he gets an icon (like breading) for transferring traits.

Traits are given randomly, max one from single animal.
Of course, animal loses its trait and several years of its life. Venerable animals die immediately after passing on trait, old become venerable, aged->old etc.
You can only transfer traits of animals that have a higher point pool than newly created animal, to prevent transferring 5 speed/draft from 5x animals with 1 speed/draft trait 🙂 

Body prepared in this way is exposed to sun and altar for 1 wurm day beyond deed, after which it is revived.
Priest receives faith points when animal is revived.
It will be of adolescent age at spawn.
Each time an animal is getting older, priest who created it will also receive additional faith points and religion skill gain, while animal will breed/spawn a younger copy of itself around (if not on deed).

High priest
A priest who has already reached maximum of his faith may, but does not have to, become a high priest.
If he wants a higher rank, he must build a temple that will act as a giant altar.

continuous-one-line-drawing-of-chichen-i

The temple cannot be located on a deed, it can be improved by believers, for every 10ql it increases its range and impact.
High priest near temple receives a bonus to power of his spells (+3-5% per 10ql should be enough to encourage players).

Additionally, when starting construction of temple, high priest can choose 3 spells from a any other faith, which he can use at will, as long as temple is not destroyed.
Of course, higher powers do not like this and deity whose spells high priest stole will send his creatures to destroy temple, once per each season (player vs. environment fight).

After building temple, high priest appoints his faithful disciple - paladin.

Other high priests may decide that this new one is not worthy of this rank and may challenge him.
Each side, that is high priest, chooses 1 paladin and 2 followers and 5 of his creatures to fight.
Fight lasts 3 rounds, if defender loses all 3 rounds, he is stripped of his rank and forbidden to become a high priest for next few months.
Winner (aggressor or defender) gains immunity, which means no one can challenge him to a fight for next real world few months.

Additionally, followers who participated in defense or attack may receive rank of paladin. To achieve this, temple must be expanded by another floor.
Each floor of temple provides an additional +10% to spell power of high priest, regardless of temple's ql.
Temple can only be expanded after taking rank of another high priest or after a successful defense.

Paladin whose high priest has lost his temples also loses his paladin rank.
Paladin who defended his temple or helped destroy other high priest temple gains rank of Grand paladin (see below).

Paladins
They may be appointed by high priests.
Gain an increased faith cap to 50 with all benefits.
Additionally, paladins gain 3 auras with range of several tiles.
Auras are changed by changing fighting styles (aggressive, normal/balanced, defensive).

Aggressive aura is -0.1 seconds of attack speed/any action speed for every 10 skill level in aggressive fighting style.
Longsword has 4.0 seconds, so for skill 100 aggressive style everyone armed with longswords within aura range will have 3.0 seconds attack speed.

Normal style gives +0.1 weapon strength and 1% skill gain outside of combat for every 10 skill level in normal fighting style.

Defensive style adds armor and parry to everyone within aura's range during combat and increases chance of max ql of extracted material outside of combat.

An ordinary paladin must fuel his auras with blood of animals created by priests of other deities.
He creates potions from blood and source crystals that depending on ql, let him use auras and spells for several hours.

Grand paladin
He does not have to use potions, his auras and ability to cast spells last as long as temple exists.

Edited by Darnok
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry. Just writing and hitting send is not the same as having and sharing a well thought out idea or suggestion. If there was a forum section for drafts, that would be a great place to posts content like this.

That's not to say that the ideas are bad, just that you may want to consider spending a bit more time fleshing them out and explaining your thought processes behind them before hitting send.

Edited by Kinganon

This is a very good idea at its most basic form but I think you've made it far too complicated and added other mechanics on top of it making it less and less likely to be ever added into the game. 

I think it would be great if you could use a priest to spawn a creature on a random location on the map by using favor and the parts of the animal (crocodile parts to spawn a crocodile with a random type such as champion or slow) and get some small faith ticks from it as well as alignment. 

Each priest could spawn different types of creatures, all of which already in the game by using favor and animal parts. 

It would be fun to spawn horses so newbies could be surprised with horses in the wilderness. 

A lot of breeders kill their bad trait horses so they could spawn wild horses randomly on the map from the materials. 

You would get both faith and channel from doing this so it is a good way to gain skills while it gives you nothing materially. 

If you don't know the meaning of a word, don't use it.

Wurm is a swedish game and in Sweden 36% or so are believers.

Don't use the word creationism in Wurm.

Read up on wiki what creationism is.

It is not about what humans can create.

And in Sweden we belive more in science than in religion.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cecci said:

If you don't know the meaning of a word, don't use it.

Wurm is a swedish game and in Sweden 36% or so are believers.

Read up on wiki what creationism is.

It is not about what humans can create.

And in Sweden we belive more in science than in religion.

"The term creationism most often refers to belief in special creation; the claim that the universe and lifeforms were created as they exist today by divine action"

There are many more believers in Poland and I think this term fits here.
Especially since divine action does not exclude existence of physical hands... paradise and a physical character walking through it.
As for science, nowadays it is largely based on faith, for example speed of light, about which everyone is taught, as in a religion lesson, that it is a constant speed, but if I asked what device made such a measurement, no one would be able to reply. Because no experiment has been made to confirm this and this assumption is basis of modern physics.

Edited by Darnok

5 hours ago, Simyaci said:

This is a very good idea at its most basic form but I think you've made it far too complicated and added other mechanics on top of it making it less and less likely to be ever added into the game. 

I think it would be great if you could use a priest to spawn a creature on a random location on the map by using favor and the parts of the animal (crocodile parts to spawn a crocodile with a random type such as champion or slow) and get some small faith ticks from it as well as alignment. 

Each priest could spawn different types of creatures, all of which already in the game by using favor and animal parts. 

It would be fun to spawn horses so newbies could be surprised with horses in the wilderness. 

A lot of breeders kill their bad trait horses so they could spawn wild horses randomly on the map from the materials. 

You would get both faith and channel from doing this so it is a good way to gain skills while it gives you nothing materially. 

But my idea creates diversity and those who like their tamagotchi would have more of them.
Those who would like to become exceptionally powerful priests would also have chance.
Players who want to try some spells but not lose ability to imp items would also have option to do so.
In addition, faith level for each character would fluctuate, because ability of mobs to lower faith and need to defend temple from PvE and other players attacks would provide further attractions and force constant creation of creatures.

I know this is a big and complex idea, but it was designed in such a way that individual elements can be added gradually and independently of each other.

On 4/6/2024 at 2:00 AM, MordosKull said:

tldr. no.

+1

Clearly a lot of time was put into writing this, but no time was spent considering whether it was a good fit for wurm, whether it made sense with the lore and nature of the game, or more importantly, whether there are the development resources to make something like this happen. 

-1 for animal alchemy

-1 for paladins and high priests

-1 for mayan temples with a massive boost to cast power 

I really enjoy that we don't have conventional RL religions in wurm, bringing creationism would be an L

On 4/6/2024 at 2:32 PM, Cecci said:

Don't be so over-sensitive and intolerant.

3 hours ago, Arronicus said:

Clearly a lot of time was put into writing this, but no time was spent considering whether it was a good fit for wurm, whether it made sense with the lore and nature of the game, or more importantly, whether there are the development resources to make something like this happen. 

-1 for animal alchemy

-1 for paladins and high priests

-1 for mayan temples with a massive boost to cast power 

I really enjoy that we don't have conventional RL religions in wurm, bringing creationism would be an L

Mayans made sacrifices, so a Mayan temple model would fit perfectly here.
Moreover, temple model would reflect power of the high priest, because more floors there are, more paladins are appointed by him and stronger priest's spells.
This idea could be expanded and for example...
for each floor, priest can not only appoint another paladin, but also steal another spell from another deity, which would increase PvE pressure and spawn rate of creatures that want to destroy temple.

48 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Don't be so over-sensitive and intolerant.

Looks like you are aiming this comment at yourself.

It looks like Darnok enjoys making elaborate suggestions, that doesn't fit into the game at all, rather than play the actual game.

So, in summary of all your suggestions, you want dinosaurs, time travel, space portals, and now mayan temples?

6 minutes ago, MordosKull said:

So, in summary of all your suggestions, you want dinosaurs, time travel, space portals, and now mayan temples?

I want different sizes of wolves, bears and horses with different sets of skin, fur, scales or some feathers on their body.

emerald-sapphire-majestic-horse-ancient-

I'm starting to think you don't even want your suggestions to be ever implemented.

You just want to put them out there but make the suggestions so impractical, incompatible and unnecessarily complicated that you don't risk ever having to see your suggestions in the game. 

It's almost like you love to express these ideas but deep down know you would hate to see them in the game, so you crush all the joints and tear all the joint muscles of your suggestions to make sure they can never walk or crawl their way into the game. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Simyaci said:

I'm starting to think you don't even want your suggestions to be ever implemented.

You just want to put them out there but make the suggestions so impractical, incompatible and unnecessarily complicated that you don't risk ever having to see your suggestions in the game. 

It's almost like you love to express these ideas but deep down know you would hate to see them in the game, so you crush all the joints and tear all the joint muscles of your suggestions to make sure they can never walk or crawl their way into the game. 

I don't really understand what you're writing about right now, after all, this animal customization mechanism, if implemented, would allow to add skins to animals created by players, just like to items.
For example, any dragon skin/scales could be added to a horse.
I'm sure it would provide a bit more profit and since my suggestion gives many more variants of every creature, there could be several dozen such skins.

Edited by Darnok

15 hours ago, Wulfgar said:

Looks like you are aiming this comment at yourself.

Only if you close one eye and put your hand over the other and just make stuff up.  You don't even seem to have ANY basis for this other than a simplistic attempt to deflect.

15 hours ago, Wulfgar said:

It looks like Darnok enjoys making elaborate suggestions, that doesn't fit into the game at all, rather than play the actual game.

Except the post to which I made that comment said nothing at all about the suggestion itself or how that would fit or not in the game. 

The entire post was a vehement objection to the word "creationism" even appearing somewhere in relation to Wurm.  That is pretty definitively intolerant.  The post also discussed religion in Sweden - despite the Forum Rule against this.  "C ) You may not discuss, post items or links on religion..."

I don't like this idea. -1