Seriphina

Material Change Orb - Silver Shop Item

I propose a single use item that can be purchased from the Silver shop for 5 silver that would allow you to change the base material of an object to another similar material.  In many cases this would be most useful on Archaeology finds, but there's some rares that would be more loved if they were a different material/wood.

Examples would include :

turning a rare birchwood spindle into an rare oakwood spindle

Convert a zinc carving knife with 4 runes into a steel carving knife with 4 runes

And potentially.... 

Turning a pottery roasting pan into a clay roasting pan... Thus allowing it to be improved, then re-fired.

• Like 5

It would also be good if there was also a craftable way to do this, perhaps a single use "Alchemical Recipe of Item Transmutation", which we could find through archaeology, rifts, treasure hunts, and mob drops, and then collect ingredients to make a potion to apply to the item.  This would allow everyone at every level, a chance to find a recipe and make one.  Buying the "Material Change Orb" in the shop would continue to provide a fast track method for the high flyers.

A+

Edited by Muse

Yeah i mentioned something like this the other day...Archaeology items annoying me by becoming silly metals again.

On 12/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, Ekcin said:

Should not be cheaper than a transmutation rod.

Changing the material of a single item that fits in inventory vs an entire vein of 10k utmost quality ore... Not sure that it should be more than a transmutation rod.

I consider 5s a ridiculous price for converting a more or less useless item into one which may be auctioned for tens of silvers if not in excess of a gold (mind the supreme tin tools etc.). This would be at par with the cost of collapsing a single cave tile with a shaker orb. A max ql resource vein still is punished by variance, depending on difficulty, down to 20% of shards will be full (100) ql even with a rare pick (ok with my humble mining skill). 200kg gold or silver lumps are nice but not as exciting as a rare or better multi runed item.

• Like 2

I'd rather this be done with in-game resources require the same weight in the material you want to avoid abuse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

I'd rather this be done with in-game resources require the same weight in the material you want to avoid abuse. 

This. Metal transmutation should be via actual game mechanics and not shovelling money into a hole.

• Like 3

+1 for in-game solution

Otherwise, more rng of item materials might creep in.

Also, how will this work with rare materials?

• Like 1

I agree that item transmutation should not be an issue of money but rather of gameplay. It might be something with alchemy, metallurgy, lye or similar depending on the material of the item, success/failure with risk of damage or loss might be appropriate too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archaed said:

For metal items I figure it should be somewhat more, to prevent it being a shortcut. If it was the same, then if you wanted a seryll sword or something you'd be better off making it out of iron and imping it, and then converting it. It should cost more to convert than you'd otherwise spend on creating and imping.

For wood items it could be pretty cheap, as you can already make an entire ship out of birch and then put in one oak peg and the whole thing is oak. Wood also gives much less of a material type advantage.

34 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I agree that item transmutation should not be an issue of money but rather of gameplay. It might be something with alchemy, metallurgy, lye or similar depending on the material of the item, success/failure with risk of damage or loss might be appropriate too.

Transmuting materials is really the wheelhouse of alchemy, yeah. And it would be nice to give that skill a bit more to do. I don't like a chance for loss of the item though, rather keep that limited to losing some of your mats.

+1 for in-game solutions. Please no more cash shop money grab ideas, it will be the death of Wurm.

Make it require alchemy to create the liquid/material used for transmutation, and overall smithing, carpentery, and tailoring for actually transforming the item.

Skill and quality would determine success and resulting item quality. I would also suggest to make the medium used to transmutate take a good amount of weight, and with each failure eat up like 10% of the liquid or whatever. It needs to be difficult, because you're talking about a significant improvement in an item's value, for an example a weapon going from iron to silver. 

I'm also not too sure about moonmetal as an option, however I feel like this could be a good use for empyrean, as a sort of catalyst used to create the transmutation medium itself. 

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 2