Sign in to follow this  
Fablecrafter

Support for Custom Textures

Alright so this has bothered me nearly since I started playing Wurm Online, the lack of support for letting us having custom textures for the game. I understand that this is because that it could offer an unfair advantage in PvP situations, but I have a suggestion about that matter. If the support for custom textures were added to the game, there could be two ways to avoid PvP unbalance due to them. One could be that while on PvP servers that the texture's being read would be ones in a seperate graphics.jar that if altered, would not let you login to the game, or is forced update like the current scheme that works for the graphic.jar now. Another method could just simply be that you could not log into any PvP server while having altered textures, essentially blocking you from going there ingame, or logging in from outside the game until you update your graphics.jar.

While I do know this creates more work for the already stretched thin dev team of the game, it could offer a bit more flare for players, and open the door to more community interaction for exchanging graphics.jar files or if the way the textures in the game were changed to allow this to be a bit easier to do, "texture packs" much like how Minecraft's community works on that matter.

Gonna include a bit of a spoiler of what is already possible on Wurm Unlimted due to this feature being available there :)

Also I know I'm very much in the minority of wanting a more cheerful experience when it comes to playing Wurm, where others want a more realistic experience, I do enjoy the fact that I can play with the textures in Wurm Unlimited, just that I wouldn't want to leave what I've done in an MMO setting to go to more of a "temporary Minecraft style setup", just to get different textures while I play, it has become a bit of an enjoyable experience for me to try and convert a popular Minecraft texture pack to somewhat work with Wurm so far

:P

Was still tinkering with transparency issues with grass at this time
pBkr7XF.jpg

eqS6YAN.jpg
9fHoeaa.jpg
HrOnDMD.jpg

Sorry that these last two are so dark, didn't have a light to use while in the cave and was night yet for the outside one

oSHezLe.jpg

yBqG9yz.jpg

I know very many of you will say you don't think this is an improvement to the game, or even so far as to say it's ugly as sin to you, but to me... it makes this game, so much more cheerful for me to play in :)

And I hope that this idea is considered, remember, any textures would be possible then, even more realistic ones... or even just wacky stuff for your own weird senses of humor :D 

Edited by Fablecrafter
Used smaller pictures so they weren't huge
  • Like 1

I agree - better ground textures would be great - i seem to spend most of my time in Wurm looking at the ground one way or another. :)

• Like 1

+1, some (almost all) of the textures are extremely outdated. 

I wouldn't mind using something like this here.

• Like 1

Is that a sphax texturepack in wurm... +1 for mixing things up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Budzilla said:

+1, some (almost all) of the textures are extremely outdated. 

I wouldn't mind using something like this here.

Honestly, that post was what intrigued me to the idea to attempt tinkering with the textures in Wurm Unlimited at all, they were a very nice change from what I'd grown accustomed to in Wurm Online, some reason, couldn't get over his dirt changes :D

2 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Is that a sphax texturepack in wurm... +1 for mixing things up.

You betcha' it is, it's my fav texture pack for Minecraft <3

+1, as long as this includes being able to design our own banners, tabards, wagons, etc.

sorry i think custom texture packs could be a prob even on pve..

i do think optional texture packs would be cool made by player. and voted on would change the way the game looks and feels. (over site)

i really want custom ui's (the coding behind them can be made limiting anof to stop exploiting )

-1 I'll make uniques glow so bright i can see them from otherside of map 

• Like 1

-1, people spend a lot of time meticulously perfecting the look of their deed and IMO that isn’t for themselves to look at. You might finish and be so proud of your work to find out everyone else running a popular texture pack despises it. 

When I see an epic scene or mastery of deed work I appreciate it, and enjoy seeing the creators vision as it was intended. 

Altering textures takes away the need to advance for different material types as well. 

I wish cooler looking wagons / banners / etc were more available than having to hope a PMK survives long enough to provide you with them and to get more in the future. 

P.S. all of this is just my option, and if t was changed it wouldn’t send me running or anything. 

• Like 1

Come to WU, we have cookies. And custom textures :P

• Like 1

On 21/01/2018 at 0:13 PM, Mclavin said:

-1 I'll make uniques glow so bright i can see them from otherside of map 

Changing the textures of wurm is possible and against the rules right now last i checked (maybe thinking of another game). I don't get why that justifies a -1 for this suggestion...

10 hours ago, Xor said:

-1, people spend a lot of time meticulously perfecting the look of their deed and IMO that isn’t for themselves to look at. You might finish and be so proud of your work to find out everyone else running a popular texture pack despises it. 

Or maybe they will keep the original textures and still think it sucks... What does that have to do with anything. When I played minecraft and saw an intricate building that didnt look good in my texture pack, i switched to default. Often, it still looked crappy, sometimes crappier. 

8 hours ago, bdew said:

Come to WU, we have cookies. And custom textures :P

yes come to the dark side, you know you want to.. LOL :P

42 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

Or maybe they will keep the original textures and still think it sucks... What does that have to do with anything. When I played minecraft and saw an intricate building that didnt look good in my texture pack, i switched to default. Often, it still looked crappy, sometimes crappier. 

You might be right. Everyone’s tastes are different so that’s a pretty valid point, but what If they don’t have the default pack OR the pack you are using? My point was just that I prefer to see things as everyone else does. . So it’s a -1 from me. That’s all :P

I think exploiting custom textures to make finding uniques easier or who knows what else might come about is actually a much more valid point to -1 this though.