Sign in to follow this  
Enki

Deliverance Event - April 30th 2016

I personally enjoyed the terrifying amount of monsters chasing me - the trolls walked after me for kilometers like a strange tail, finally the gates south of Greendog stopped them - they were patiently waiting when I returned GD to pick up my everyday horse..

I managed not to die (was a surprise to me at a point), although at least two times my right arm just turned to mashed potatoes - good thing is that I use a two hander weapon :D I had the huge lag hitting me in Green Tunnel, after the few mins my client resurrected from its torpor I've found myself on 20-30% health and a few trolls laying flat around, was not a comforting thing that I heard a HH just chewing on me.

(Aye forgot to bring one of the vambrances for the fun.)

So - thanks a lot, really!

Edited by Jaz

candidly I'm super thankful each time these events are put on.  They take a great deal of work and I like the spirit to which they are offered..trying to give us some fun and something different and exciting.  Though i was not in jeopardy against mobs, the lag monster almost got me, derailing me to unknown paths beyond my control and dismounting me.  I especially loved the egalitarian aspect of us all on equally equipped horses to level things.  I had over planned to be the fastest, in having a bit too much weight with a bucket, two water skins, shovel if i needed to amend terrain if stuck on steep slopes and stash of food for horse, yet had much fun.  Again thank you for caring to offer these fun venues.

• Like 1

It is a pleasure to see these events unfold.  We hope to keep bringing them to you each month.

Right now the only idea I have for next month is cliff jumping into a pool of sharks so hopefully the team can prevent me form following through with such a ludicrous idea and find something more challenging.

• Like 5

oh ya another rigged event every month how fun

• Like 1

Hi nice event :)

Had fun even tho it just seems like a matter of time before u lagged out and got killed, in future events, a couple of "safe places" along the route to make a "Relog" for those in need, can be a solution

• Like 1

There was one south of GD - where we entered the walled around deed - a bit maybe sparse for sure :P

Enki, the cliff jumping is not a bad idea just please provide altars up there ...

11 hours ago, Enki said:

Right now the only idea I have for next month is cliff jumping into a pool of sharks so hopefully the team can prevent me form following through with such a ludicrous idea and find something more challenging.

Sea serpent plox!

3 hours ago, Deth666 said:

While it's true that most of us didn't win, that several of us couldn't/wouldn't finish for reasons outside Enki's control, and that it seemed winners projected in jest actually won, I saw nothing from planning to race end that alluded to any rigging or swaying of odds.  The race information and suggestions for improving odds, as well as pre-publication of the race course, provided by Enki were very well written.  Yes, there was a lot of lag spikes and LAGGGGGGG minutes but that is expected in any game when in areas of high activity and red colors.  Any one who plays Wurm more than a few weeks learns that we live with certain amount of lag. The horses were slow enough that even I could almost keep them headed in the right direction - except for Enki's gem of a tunnel twister among Champion cave bugs in the tunnel!  I literally jumped a foot in my chair (yes I am that flexible :P) when one spawned on top of me!  That event caused server disco and killed the 15 or so racers in that area. 

Yes, like most of us, I died at least 5 times and each time Enki generously offered to help me and others get our bodies and horses back so we could continue if desired.  He realized the lag was a bit excessive and unexpected and tried to accommodate us.  <3 Enki for everything! The checkpoints were visible for many tiles and long enough to assure hitting them.  While I neither stopped to take screenshots or wave to the monitors along the route, I was very aware they were there.  Those of you who know me well, will understand how wonderfully chaotic and mob filled the day was simply from the fact that I took no screenshots. No, Pingpong, I was never Lost!  Except for when I decided to find my boat and go home but in my defense, I was barely functioning on no sleep thanks to an unexpected all night Wurm event.

That began an exhausting, enervating, frustrating yet hilarious wandering north Deli as a barefoot noob on a 'race' horse Zorako shared with me in GD as he was heading home.  Who knew Magy could lead so many mob so far, and these were not all GM spawn.  (Yes, I was often privately cursing Wurm, Deli, Enki, Retrograde-You-Won't-Die-Magy and <insert mob name here> I regret I didn't stop to take a couple of screenies as in the end it wouldn't have mattered, but quitting is anathema to me.  Eventually old Dobbin and I were overcome when the server lagged out. I took time to reboot my system and grab some RL food.

When I logged back in 30 minutes later, my body and horse were no where to be found.  They evidently continued down the mountain a bit after I was kicked off.  Enki and friends were gone, Deth and Madgegreen (love ya girl, mean it big time!! LOL) were finishing the end of the race, both rushing to get to the DRAGON kill.  Madge knew she was too late and opted to stay and help me search since she still had her mighty weapon and high FS and a 'race' horse.  I'm very grateful for that, because my Gumbo sword alone was worth much silver and my Fairyshine gifted Bear Helm is priceless for sentimental reasons.  Yet tired as we were, the next few hours were great fun and a bonding experience, even though the search was fruitless.  By 7pm USET, I finally boarded The Magical Lady one death sting ahead of a huge scorpion.  

Zorako, who had been home on Inde for a good while, sent me a PM that he and his Fo priest, Fumfo, were on their way back to Deli to recover my corpse, weapon and helm.  I left everything else at home.  It took him awhile but he not only found it, he also dropped off my best enchanted 5 speed saddle horse I'd 'parked' on a distant island. (That is another story for another time!  I have stories you would not believe! LOL)  Zorako is the epitome of a good neighbor, great friend and generous Wurmian.  He's someone worth emulating, Deth.  I love you, but there's no point to sour grapes.  We didn't win.  We had fun.  Life is about the journey and so is Wurm.  It was one of the most memorable days of my Wurm life. XD

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Deth666 said:

Nah, I doubt it was rigged. After playing Wurm for years I can tell you these events don't need to be rigged.

Wurm separates the buckwheat from the ######## with Players and their characters. Players with personal skill and ability, talent if you will, do better than most here. Players that run their characters and skill them up to high skills and understand the game mechanics well will do better here. Players that win events like this one will do so over and over again in most events because there are better players than others, just like real life rewards people who have more skill, ambition, and talent than others. It's how the game was designed. Wurm isn't like other games that try to make everything fair across the board for all players, and that shows up best in events like this one.

Sure there are those who take advantage of game mechanics and game bugs to exploit their way to success, but that happens far less in Wurm than good old fashioned drive, talent, and ambition, and almost anyone who applies themselves can eventually do in Wurm what the winners of an event like this one do... they can play Wurm well.

Edited by geode

actually magykal you would be the forth person to say you dc'd and came back dead that i know of and enki blaming network problems says it wasn't fair(rigged)

20 hours ago, geode said:

Sure there are those who take advantage of game mechanics and game bugs to exploit their way to success, but that happens far less in Wurm than good old fashioned drive, talent, and ambition, and almost anyone who applies themselves can eventually do in Wurm what the winners of an event like this one do... they can play Wurm well.

when the game kicks you out of it that all means nothing hard to apply yourself if there is no chance

and thats all it comes down to a FAIR chance

1 hour ago, Deth666 said:

actually magykal you would be the forth person to say you dc'd and came back dead that i know of and enki blaming network problems says it wasn't fair(rigged)

when the game kicks you out of it that all means nothing hard to apply yourself if there is no chance

I don't understand what you think Enki should have done to fix that issue though.  Do you feel he purposely burped the server?  Should have restarted a very long race (most, including me, would have left)?  Perhaps some things could have been done differently, I don't know, but I do know it was NOT rigged for certain people to win.  I had one heck of a great time, even though I'm still recovering! ;-D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deth666 said:

I dont really know where ur aiming at...

U didnt liked it? Didint worked out for u? Hey I bet there will always be a next time, dont try to blame it on Enki or even get to the point of saying it was rigged....

Pretty simple dude, ENki SAYD there would be marauders of mobs! Many of them in the race course, they caused your computer to lag, when ur memory downloaded the 100 mobs running around us. The mobs, not Enki. I lagged out pretty bad when the mobs spaw, I just hit defensive and didnt took my eeys of the ground to try to pass it out. I still had to relog, before crashing,. Maybe your own computer was 2 weak for all those mobs or maybe u should just have relogged be4 u crashed. Either way I had the same problems with u and still ended up on the top 10. U really should shut it. Your just beeing a sore looser.

23 minutes ago, Tuga said:

I dont really know where ur aiming at...

U didnt liked it? Didint worked out for u? Hey I bet there will always be a next time, dont try to blame it on Enki or even get to the point of saying it was rigged....

Pretty simple dude, ENki SAYD there would be marauders of mobs! Many of them in the race course, they caused your computer to lag, when ur memory downloaded the 100 mobs running around us. The mobs, not Enki. I lagged out pretty bad when the mobs spaw, I just hit defensive and didnt took my eeys of the ground to try to pass it out. I still had to relog, before crashing,. Maybe your own computer was 2 weak for all those mobs or maybe u should just have relogged be4 u crashed. Either way I had the same problems with u and still ended up on the top 10. U really should shut it. Your just beeing a sore looser.

A. computer is a custom built gaming rig (better then most playing this game i'd bet)

B. throwing a "Fair event" that isn't fair is called a rigged event and saying so is not being a "sore loser" i wouldn't have been in the top 5 anyway if it had been fair

C. being kicked for the servers for seemingly no reason...sorry if 1+2+3=orange...something is fishy

Enki spawned Son of Nogump at an impalong. That is Epic mobs at a mostly noobs, player-organized event. The lesson here is that if Enki says to expect obstacles you had better expect some bloody obstacular obstacles.

As far as client stability goes; events break clients and servers. The only "rigged" here is that experienced players have a better idea of what to expect both in performance and gameplay.

If Enki were to clearly state to expect then it wouldn't be as exciting.

I appreciate your rather well formed understandings of what is going on.  Unfortunately, there will be those like Deth who encounter situations adverse to their participation.  I did lay out the event details quite plainly so claiming it is rigged is a pretty far fetched notion.

I am glad everyone else enjoyed it and I do wish Deth had gotten more out of it than he apparently did, but hopefully next month we will come up with something more creative.

I plan to leave the Derby up until Monday of next week.

• Like 3