Sign in to follow this  
Mrbloodworth

Comming soon (TM)

I'm getting higher fps on my laptop with Intel integrated graphics, running two clients, than I was getting before the pack updates running only a single client. 50% more frames per second!!!one

Of course, we're talking 8 fps compared to 5, but that's TWO clients at 8 fps, so that counts as 16, right? :D

The point is, it seems results are all over the board regarding improved performance.

I do appreciate the usefulness of reducing polygon count but I also notice that my PC is running 3 degrees (celsius) hotter than it was before the new packs.

Are you seriously blaming a pack update for a heat increase?

Clean out the HSF, ambient temperature, fan slow down, whatever, its going to be unrelated to Wurm.

do you mean arrow shafts? war and hunting arrows are fine.

Keep up good work Mrbloodworth and do not lisen "the community" that much, they are bunch of whiners.

If they really could make "better" objects for wurm they would already :D

Can't make everyone happy can you ?

Keep up good work Mrbloodworth and do not lisen "the community" that much, they are bunch of whiners.

Can't make everyone happy can you ?

+1

I think you're doing a great job Mr. B. Keep it up!

I really like the updates you are making, Mr. B.  I apologize if my comment on the shape of barrels in the other thread came off as a complaint, rather than the input I intended.

I realize that the round shapes in-game are polygons.  However, I know nothing about coding and therefore do not know the proper terms to provide you with my reactions to the object in a technical manner.  Perhaps what I was trying to describe is the skin or texture on the barrel?  What I am wondering is if there is a way to make the top of the object look round without compromising the polygon reductions you have made (like the rings on the stump on your new large anvil appear round, even though the stump shape itself is a polygon)?  I also am curious if it is possible to make the barrel structure appear more bowed or rounded in the middle so that when you look at a barrel from the side your eyes are not drawn to specific angled points on the object.  I don't know if that involves making some portions on the shape transparent, or if making the shape appear more bowed would involve increasing the polygon count.

Again, if this comes off as criticism of your work, I do apologize.  I can express my reactions in artistic or asthetic terms, but I lack the knowledge and expertise to convey my input to you at the coding/rendering level.

I appreciate all your hard work, Mr. B, and your willingness to include the community in your process.  I can't wait to see your new lanterns in-game and am really looking forward to your future additions.  Thanks very much for all you're doing for us!

When are you getting on ):

Sorry, FM.  I didn't mean to ditch you.  I'll see if I can get on Freedom either tonight or this weekend.  If only I could dual-client...  :P

Can we get the old token back? :) Of course if there were any problems like unnecessary invisible polygons that lower fps or something, they can be fixed, but I don't think anyone had any issues with the token style. ;) Token kind of sticks out like a sore thumb with the old, "gritty" style of everything else in wurm. Maybe if we lived in a Roman world or marble and concrete or something.

I love Stetsons Gothic styled token.

tokenconcept.jpg

Keeps the old Wurm look, but at the same time updated it - it even suits the octagonal shape  ;)

I dont have problems with current token, but this looks nice too! I would say its matter of person.

You could also make different tokens for JK/BL/BR settlements... using different models.

Can we get the old token back? :) Of course if there were any problems like unnecessary invisible polygons that lower fps or something, they can be fixed, but I don't think anyone had any issues with the token style. ;) Token kind of sticks out like a sore thumb with the old, "gritty" style of everything else in wurm. Maybe if we lived in a Roman world or marble and concrete or something.

Agree, token is very nice, much its not for wurm Maybe a Roman game as yuo said.

Mr B Quoted in yellow.

This would have to do with the largely increased sizes of the terrain textures then anything I have done.

Thank you. I will have a look and see if changing texture size will help.

Could you possibly tell me what sizes are implemented in the packs and which might need to be scaled by my client?

Look at the scenery in Wurm, its a very real world.

Actually, its incredibly stylized.

I guess what I meant was not clear. The buildings are designed in a way that causes them to look like they are made of real materials not an artistic interpretation.

What is slightly funny to me, and perhaps where my background in art comes in, is that my barrels currently have a higher fidelity than the originals did. To many of you are focusing on the new shape, and instantly calming its "cartoony" (due to lack of other known terms of description)

To be more clear then. Yes barrels, especially the large ones you get in pubs, often do not look round. There is a distinctly angular bend toward each end, though they do tend to look round from the top and not so angular.

I was not actually referring to the shape though. I was referring to the texture, which looks cartoony in the sense that it looks more like the style flat plane colouring used in cartoons for speed rather than the more detailed shading that the previous barrels had. Possibly, I admit because of their shape rather than artistic effort.

, also, perhaps not realizing how many "round" things in Wurm, are octagons (with good reason). The original barrels had ERRORS due to they way they were constructed that choked up the render and had a CG level of polygon count, as i have said many times.

If you look through my previous posts, assuming it has not been lost, I think you will find a comment where I recognise that a previous model was probably changed to reduce polygon count but where I wondered if the lag that attended its introduction might be because of an inaccurately closed or unclosed polygon.

Top that off, with the changes were not made in a vacuum, and were not done "willy nilly" no matter how many times people say it was. There many more consideration that you, the viewer are simply not aware of, or do not care to be aware of. I however, must consider them, and design with them in mind.

It was the very fact that you clearly do seek our opinion that caused me to make my earlier post.

As for the other issues involved, I am pretty sure I could make a good guess at most of them. I would, as it happens, be very interested in reading a separate post outlining what they are. I suspect many other players would also. Wurm has a large number of computing professionals who play and who I am sure would like to hear the issues involved from the perspective of graphic design and implementation.

I would like to apologise if my earlier post came across as being opinionated or directly critical of you as the tenor of some parts of your reply seem to indicate you took it.

This is a community forum so I did post from a personal perspective on the basis that I was only contributing toward a general consensus.

I tried to convey that I have nothing but complete respect for your talent or the clearly large amount of effort you are putting in.

Not sure about the inference that I am uninformed but misunderstandings occur so I am happy to forget that if you are happy to take this post as my attempt at and apology for any misuderstanding my earlier post caused.

NB: I will be deleting this as soon as Mr B replies so please do not quote it or reply to it as any reply would be left hanging out of context.

Given the amount you are doing Mr B it might be worth asking Guru if there would be any possibility of a subforum where you could post each model as you introduce it.

That would help us appreciate how much you are doing in a nice easy to read list as well as making it a bit easier for you to track reactions to each model or group of models as you begin to work on them.

Its very clear that you do take a lot of time seeking feedback, as well as actually doing the design and, personally, I think getting to see what is going on in even just this small part of development is exciting and refreshingly open :D

ON a couple side note, while I appreciate the updates, there's a part of me that doesn't want to change. But in order to grow, we have to change.

Before and after pictures and model information would be awesome too.

ya like when kinoss was making new house walls

ON a couple side note, while I appreciate the updates, there's a part of me that doesn't want to change. But in order to grow, we have to change.

Being blinded by nostalgia put aside, [taste] is a major factor in anything art department. I like the old grass better, but like a lot of the new models I'm seeing, everything falls down into personal opinion.

This thread is about lampposts.

I'm already working on tools, And gearing up to do weapons. They are connected.

But that's neither here nor there.

Oh wow that Scimitar looks horrible.

Much prefer the Persian styled ones.

100 Reasons to love FlyingMonkey #1:

He loves Persia  ;D