Sign in to follow this  
Evening

Pet Sematary

We all know them.

We all see them.

We all stumble on them everywhere we turn.

They are falling apart, but are resurrected every now and then by "benevolent" passers by.

And they are coming back to life, evil and undestructible, a sore to the eyes, cluttering every server.

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, they are ..

ghost_ship_approaching_by_matchack-d4mba

Ghosts !!

Ships, carts, wagons, ship transporters.

All types, all colours, all sizes.

Scattered all around, annoying, (almost) impossible to get rid of (especially when they are locked, moored, with a ton of junk inside, with animals hitched, depending on what "ghost" is about).

So what if, on each server, there would be a "Pet Sematary" for them?

Instead of being moved on perimeters, or lying all around, what if there would be a place where they could peacefully wait for the well-deserved 100 damage and their final day-of-going-poof?

(Of course, if one of the long departed owners ever comes back, he could retrieve his "pet" and summon it back to life using a bit of log/carving knife/pelt/file/mallet magic ceremony).

I am not sure if this is possible, or how hard to implement can be, but I'd definitely be happy seeing less ghosts everywhere I turn my eyes.

• Like 3

Maybe turn the ghost ship / carts into a   mob ?    Ghost ship mob strikes you for 5 rope damage

? 

• Like 1

I like the idea. So +1 from me!

Could also turn it into a moneysink, by letting players buy the abandoned ships/carts/wagons/whatever from the 'Cemetary'

• Like 1

Vehicle graveyard.... 

The mystical dev-made stone island on the corner of each server, all rock, all hollowed out, dev-collapseproofed, where all dead vehicles come to decay gracefully without destroying passerbys' fps? 

Yesplease =P

I saw it described once that when a player returns from his long absence, he may benefit to find his old boat moored even though his buildings are gone and lands are taken; he could simply sail away to start anew.

Otherwise, I can see a useful feature being an accelerated rate of decay on all owned vehicles once a player is offline for 30 days or more.

Another alternative is to have all 'inactive' vehicles become invisible, although they remain in place and unaffected otherwise.

+1 A 'lost and found, abandoned' storage 'locker' for all that junk!  Yes, please - have several (v.slow) decaying (or unmovable) boats / ships, carts etc around my deed and i am really tired of it all - clutters the place up, gets in the way, is an eyesore and needs to be dealt with - somehow! 

I have also had to watch animals, hitched to abandoned carts, slowly starve to death - totally helpless to assist - makes for not a pleasant experience.

Edited by Baloo

I would prefer a "Sematary" for our dead pets instead. Fits this misspelled word better as well (S.King's).

=Ayes=

If you're going to mis spell it, Cementary might be a funnier turn of word, you know, due to the permanence of these unwanted things.

I already suggested a home for them in my `abandoned ship server` thread. That could have used some creative thinking instead of being shot down.

So, i can't give this a plus 1, I've abandoned the issue. one voice isn't enough and in my experience we'll get ignored, every, time.

but nice idea

Funny idea. :)

It's part of the general Wurm problem however: too many people making too much stuff that litters the landscape. The player is long gone and doesn't even remember the name of the game but his boats, ovens, forges, looms, bins and chests will be there waiting for him for almost forever. Small wonder new servers are so popular, it's the only way to play Wurm without having to live in the ruins of a long gone ancient civilisation. :)

• Like 1

Instead of somehow mystically moving the ships around, why not decay them at a super-fast rate but keep them stored in the database. If a returning player premiums up after a longer period of inactivity, they can reclaim one of their defunct ships once every 18 months or so. It returns repaired at the ql it had when the super-fast decay began. Normally decayed ships may not be reclaimed in this way.

I'd rather see the ship plop back into existence with the returning player than have it stay - in its original location or elsewhere - as an unwanted testimonial.

• Like 1

I feel like we've been here before ;)

Yes it is Deja Vu for me too.

They once did this.  The GM's moved abandoned ships to Freedom Docks on Indie but there were so many ships and so few were ever claimed the practice was abandoned.

They were held there and if unclaimed could be purchased by the salvager