Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 17

Bridges are the easy way out.  Get off your ass and get swimmin.  :P  :P  :P

Edited by Hashtag

To be fair, things can't always be set in stone.

Indeed, we have wooden and rope bridges too...

/me walks off in shame

• Like 4

As much as I would love to give a solid release date for bridges, the nature of testing and debugging them is often a little unpredictable which makes accuracy in our release date a little difficult.

Bridges are a massive new innovation in Wurm, especially from a technical perspective. They work well so far as you can see on the test server, but there are still some cases where there are issues we just can't have in the live servers.

We would much rather release bridges later than expected than stick to an arbitrary date and have players deal with bugs which might kill or temporarily glitch out their characters.

As I say though we still think they are on track to be released very soon. All help testing on the test server is greatly appreciated :)

Why wasnt this much testing done to the siege equipment? 

Oh btw, while we wait for the bridges, it would really help if we could see clear screenshots of all the bridge types and a sample screenie of their different possibilities. It would give us something to do while we wait, to plan out already now how we want to make use of them in our own deed. 

• Like 1

Why wasnt this much testing done to the siege equipment? 

This is just a wild guess but suppose it's because building a bridge is a much more painstaking process that not only affects the bridge itself but how you terraform land around it, build buildings attached to it etc? Imagine planning something out and getting to work, only to have the whole thing be ruined by discovering that due to a bug you couldn't finish what you started?

This is just a wild guess but suppose it's because building a bridge is a much more painstaking process that not only affects the bridge itself but how you terraform land around it, build buildings attached to it etc? Imagine planning something out and getting to work, only to have the whole thing be ruined by discovering that due to a bug you couldn't finish what you started?

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 3

Imagine spending years on PVP deed defeneses and then have them destroyed overnight due to imbalanced siege equipment.

Try putting yourself in our shoes.

and trust me, a shitty bridge is nowhere near the level of effort comparable to making a pvp deed.

• Like 3

o.o that maul is a thing of beauty - Belated happy birthday Rolf!

Imagine spending years on PVP deed defeneses and then have them destroyed overnight due to imbalanced siege equipment.

Try putting yourself in our shoes.

and trust me, a shitty bridge is nowhere near the level of effort comparable to making a pvp deed.

Except the new siege equipment DOESN'T destroy anything that takes years to build. It can't destroy hewn rock canals. It can't destroy giant dirt walls. It won't destroy massive steep slopes. All it can destroy are actual structures, which for the total area of even the largest deeds could be put up in under 2 weeks. What bridges CAN do is allow you to create even superior defenses, by having your deed ONLY accessible by bridge, and then inacessible should you destroy the bridge if raiders show up. Previously, you always have had to have some easily accessible route for yourself, whether it was a tunnel with mine doors and gates, or a ramp, again with structures and doors. In both cases, intruders could bash their way through, and trebuchet various defenses, to get in to your base with enough time, provided it was unprotected. With bridges, you can isolate yourself atop sheer rock cliffs with dirt all over your deed preventing tunneling from gaining entrance, and bridges as the ONLY reasonable means of scaling the cliff. Then, the attackers are forced to use your bridge, which can be destroyed at your discretion by deleting the structure it is attached to. Sure, the attacker can blow up your bridge, but that doesn't help them get into your deed. 

Edited by Arronicus

Except the new siege equipment DOESN'T destroy anything that takes years to build. It can't destroy hewn rock canals. It can't destroy giant dirt walls. It won't destroy massive steep slopes. All it can destroy are actual structures, which for the total area of even the largest deeds could be put up in under 2 weeks.

Oh silly silly Arronicus.... The buildings are the only thing protecting giant dirt walls. Once they go down the dirtwall goes down.

And yes, I know bridges will allow new deed defense possibilities, but how is that related to anything I said?

• Like 1

wrong thread. how do i delete posts??

Edited by CyrusX