Sign in to follow this  
Jonydowy

Official Wurm Ranking

I know,I know, there is Niarja for showoff skills and great work was put in that site, BUT..i think the ranking sistem its not fair(in my opinion).. and everyone can cheat and add some more points in to his skill dump.

I know it would be extra work for the dev team.. but would also be a great thing for wurm.. it would give the competitive feeling and people(some) would be more motivated to grind their skills.

Ofcourse it would be everyone's choice if they want to add the account to the ranking system or not,to stop the pvp thing...

For extra motivation..there could be some special titles for the first 10 or so..that would be available only for the time you are in that rank.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

• Like 2

I thought of something similar a while back and thought "hrm, nah, not good to paint a target on your back"... without some proper security any accounts can be attacked with a brute-force hack (which is something the team should work on... you know security...).

Make it manageable with 2 switches to show the skills, show the fight related skills - both off by default - and a proper ladder on the wurm site.

+1, once my main concern is fixed.

• Like 5

+1

Maybe add command /ranking [skill name] . It will show your rank among that cluster.

Guess I don't see the reason for this since we do have the website for those that wish to use it.  Yes I know that it can be altered and even has been by a few people.   Rather see many other things worked on than trying to code in something that people can opt out of and show this or that.

I don't really see the point of this. Why should Code Club encourage such a specific form of arbitrary competition among its users?

What I'd prefer for Niarja is an API to fetch player skills. It could either be accessed via a shareable private key, or all skills could be "public" (with the default state being opted-out).

5 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

I don't really see the point of this. Why should Code Club encourage such a specific form of arbitrary competition among its users?

Because it's a game and competition is at the heart of games? 
That said, I'm +1 for the idea in general.  

1 hour ago, Greyfox said:

This basicly.

An official ladder make the competition a bit more official for anyone willing to shine (or outshine the others). This might seems useless for some, dangerous for others and this is why an opt out option is needed. But can be a nice thing to have for competition purpose.

That said and after 10+ years of wurming for some, changing the top 10 / 20 will be hard.

• Like 1

Seems pointless when you can just buy characters. If selling your account got you banned and your characters locked, then there would be something to measure. This would just measure how old/active an account has been.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greyfox said:

That said, I'm +1 for the idea in general.  

Who says competition is at the heart of this game? Wurm PvE is basically a do-whatever sandbox.

And what competition that does exist should be player-drive, as befitting the design principles of Wurm Online, as opposed to being based on one arbitrary thing by fiat. I mean, if Wurm PvE is "competitive" all of a sudden, what are we competing over? Most land deeded? Highest total skill points? Most time spent as premium? Most money in the bank? Biggest terraforming project? These kinds of things should be entirely left up to the players.

I don't have a problem with the game having a mechanism to keep track of skills/player stats in a more official capacity, but it should not be framed as competition, because players competing over things should be on the terms of the players involved, not imposed in an explicit or implicit way by the developers.

3 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

I don't have a problem with the game having a mechanism to keep track of skills/player stats in a more official capacity, but it should not be framed as competition, because players competing over things should be on the terms of the players involved, not imposed in an explicit or implicit way by the developers.

So you're okay with competition so long as it's not called a competition?  Okay then.....
Also, being that the suggestion includes an "Opt out" option it is not, in anyway, imposed on anyone.
This is simply the OP asking for an ingame version of  Niarja.
For some people, it would be a contest to see if they can be the best in game/server/alliance/village etc.   For others it would be an easy way to see what the alliance needs in terms of skill sets. (Assuming you could sort ranking by alliance/village/friends list, etc.).  

13 hours ago, Chakron said:

What I'd prefer for Niarja is an API to fetch player skills. It could either be accessed via a shareable private key, or all skills could be "public" (with the default state being opted-out).

+1