Sign in to follow this  
AceRifle

Role playing in wurm.

I'm interested in starting a roleplaying group in the kingdom of Sol. A player made kingdom on epic elevation.

However I have every little experience in roleplaying. I was for a time apart of Wessex in MO, before they broke up and went to play DFUW.

So I was wondering if I could get some feed back on how to proceed with this.

• Like 1

well you could start by the king having full control and leading pvp instead of you :)

Wessex? I think I tried applying in that, or might have even belonged to it, but not for long to recognize any names if that were to be the case, as I quit on the game.

Edit: Off-topic is great.

Edited by lithi

Not at all king's fought on the field of battle peasant!

well you could start by the king having full control and leading pvp instead of you :)

Not all king's fought on the field of battle you filthy Mr peasant!

Clearly there will be a time to roleplay and a time not too. My general idea of role playing will consist on the forums and ingame between kingdom mates.

Edited by AceRifle

My general idea of role playing will consist on the forums and ingame between kingdom mates.

Go with that, start out little, try to lure in all the RP hungry players and just blast away, it'll give some spice to the game play, definitely. 

Also should I suggest, once you do get to that point where you have a working kingdom / village in RP mode, start using quests, like there could be one quest giver in town who hands out quests and the rewards would reflect from the quest itself, either it being hunting 10 bears and bringing back their corpses for a shiny new butchers knife, or a sword - or a plain quest to go mine X amount of iron to replenish the village's iron supplies for a brand new pickaxe.

I've always found the player made quests quite an enjoyment, and I've tried to keep it as a part of my village style. My village atm is just so empty I have no reason to have it implemented.

Go with that, start out little, try to lure in all the RP hungry players and just blast away, it'll give some spice to the game play, definitely. 

Also should I suggest, once you do get to that point where you have a working kingdom / village in RP mode, start using quests, like there could be one quest giver in town who hands out quests and the rewards would reflect from the quest itself, either it being hunting 10 bears and bringing back their corpses for a shiny new butchers knife, or a sword - or a plain quest to go mine X amount of iron to replenish the village's iron supplies for a brand new pickaxe.

I've always found the player made quests quite an enjoyment, and I've tried to keep it as a part of my village style. My village atm is just so empty I have no reason to have it implemented.

Brilliant idea I will surely keep this in mind. Just reading about the quest sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!

If you want to play on the simple style,s just do some /me emotes on occasion, type in an accent, and just generally be a bit dramatic.

I always pictured my character (Zwei/nee) with a weird quiet voice, so when im roleplaying with people in wurm, I kind of just bugger off.

:T The quest system is if you wanna go hardcore, if you wanna play some decent roleplaying, then be all rights go ahead, but I don't think that'll last long unless you are doing a lot of emoting on the side.

Short of using voice communications, I think elevation is the second most difficult atmosphere to maintain IC roleplay within Wurm, after chaos. My guess would be that you would have much better success getting a good feel for it on one of the home servers first, though if you're really determined, I imagine people might come out of the woodwork, with the right lead and guidance. 

Don't forget though, preparation is key.

• Like 1

I remember Wessex. Im not sure the way in which it was organised would work well on ele. That being said i do remember a format that might work from my UO days. If youd like to hear it shoot me a Pm.

Edited by Grimgat

Hi

I am an avid Role-player, and have experience of leading various role-play groups in Second Life. Only recently having found Wurm I have grew an addiction to this game, and noticed the potential for role-play is far greater in Wurm than it is on any other game.

The few suggestions above are genius! Using the Settlement news as a quest giver - although the rewarding aspect may have to be implemented outside of Wurm, such as a website that holds the 'exp' gained from certain questers completing tasks... creating a leaderboard to make it competitive.

Currently I am playing on the Freedom Isles / Exodus server and have been given an off-deed plot beside Black Pearls to start my adventures with a few friends. We are doing the whole 'survival' thing and probably going to deed it tonight. I'd suggest you come join us here and we can implement a great RP settlement, as PVP servers will be nonsensical to attempt the impossible .. role-play upon.

There are just too many players on PVP to purely excel in combat and raids rather than the laid back RP approach. If you are fairly new, just make an alt account on Exodus and we can get you joined on the settlement and teleported here! :)

Exodus

Ingame name: Smexy

Deliverance

Ingame name: Kammerz

Edited by Kammerz

I remember Wessex. Im not sure the way in which it was organised would work well on ele. That being said i do remember a format that might work from my UO days. If youd like to hear it shoot me a Pm.

*sees avy*

I am the apprentice of a magos explorator, that ended up in Wurm as our rogue trader vessel crash landed after having some problems with our geller field while travelling the empyrean.

And now me and a few survivors of the crashing are trying to survive in this feral world, under the ruling of the JK kingdom, on Epic.

I play Wurmhammer 40.000

*points to Epic thread*

=Ayes=

*points to chaos thread*

*sees avy*

I am the apprentice of a magos explorator, that ended up in Wurm as our rogue trader vessel crash landed after having some problems with our geller field while travelling the empyrean.

And now me and a few survivors of the crashing are trying to survive in this feral world, under the ruling of the JK kingdom, on Epic.

I play Wurmhammer 40.000

I approve.

AD&D player manual and GM guide to learn how to RP, after that, you can adapt to any other system.

would also debate what he means by role play as well since I've seen a few towns run actual games like pathfinder and dungeons and dragons (the pen and paper version not the video game versions) through chat and rollers - but I've also seen towns which speak in char and RP in game but only on limited basis

I take cover behind the pile of dead bards!