Sign in to follow this  
Yurik

Weaponsmithing

Weaponsmithing is the hardest skill to grind and get up... needs some fixing badly! Like most other skills with subskills when you are bladesmithing you get weaponsmithing points also. Same as when you are stone cutting you get masonry skill also. Why does the weaponsmithing go up sooo slow and other smithing like shieldsmithing or blacksmithing goes up soo much easier. Or possibly make weaponsmithing a main skill and have swordsmithing, macesmithing, axesmithing and such as subskills so you can be a good swordsmith if you really want to!

-1 it's just fine now. better than have everyone run around with 90ql weapons.

The skill does get alot of demand, so probably best as is. Lockpicking now could use a buff  ;)

The skill does get alot of demand, so probably best as is. Lockpicking now could use a buff  ;)

I'd like a sawing skill skillgain buff. :P

Have to agree with the above, it's fine as it is. And it's not the hardest, try faith :>

sure its slow but i have 80+ and its not hard just grind it u are to lazy everything cant be like digging or other fast skill

Its fine as is.  If anything, it should be made harder so the market gets flooded with low and medium quality weapons.

Its fine as is.  If anything, it should be made harder so the market gets flooded with low and medium quality weapons.

-1  I'm going for 50 WS right now, i think it's fine as it is.

BUt i want a saw buff! It's soooo hard to grind ::):P

I'd like a sawing skill skillgain buff. :P

[me=Tich]votes for sawing skillgain buff[/me]

Guess i could starts killing pigs and deer with a saw to see if it goes up quicker!

Shame that a saw cannot be used to chop up a tree into logs (must ask Rolf why they cant)

Have to agree with the above, it's fine as it is. And it's not the hardest, try faith :>

you dont 'grind' faith its just pray 5 times a day - so not that hard to do, just takes a long time

Also for consideration

• Paving (still amazed that uze got it to 50 last map)
  • Foraging
  • Botanizing
  • Gardening
  • Forestry

These are slow, but maybe due to limited resources

• Baking
  • Milling
  • Milking

oh and i think weaponsmithing is fine as it is, its good to have a very hard skill that is 'required'

Uzetaab had 50 paving?!  :o

Speaking of buffs... the stealing skill could use one too  ;)

I've identified two main factors in skills such as weaponsmithing; Usefulness versus necessity.

Even if weapons are necessary for survival, having the skill associated with their creation isn't. Weaponsmithing is surely useful on the individual level since it means you can take care of your own weapons yourself, but this pales in comparison to the vital community role that you play as a known weaponsmith. Really, the same thing goes for leatherworking, chainsmithing etc.

While other skills such as digging, carpentry, cooking and fighting (parenthesis around that last one maybe) are far easier to grind, they are also more "necessary" compared to WS.

I think it is to hard, the longer term players, like myself have good skills, but new players must deal with the nerfs made because we have played so long an want a challenge. that does not seem right to me.

i know how hard it is to become a weapon smith in wurm my alt lillmad is WS but still i think it needs to be even harder i might go as long as be willing to have a drop in skill just to make it fair to new WS players

MAKE WS HARDER  plz   

While other skills such as digging, carpentry, cooking and fighting (parenthesis around that last one maybe) are far easier to grind, they are also more "necessary" compared to WS.

True (farming too) except cooking is hard to raise, hfc is easy, also you try selling meals, or most carp items for any money at all, so i'd say Weaponsmithing is a far more valuable skill (from that aspect), never met anyone who wants to pay for high level dirt either ;)

Want my Saw affinity? :P

Oh.. that would be nice :D

True (farming too) except cooking is hard to raise, hfc is easy, also you try selling meals, or most carp items for any money at all, so i'd say Weaponsmithing is a far more valuable skill (from that aspect), never met anyone who wants to pay for high level dirt either ;)

Thus the reason I am poor, but my friends who have decent smithing are not...

Also for consideration

• Forestry

Forestry skillgain is fine, actually - if you harvest a lot of things.

• Botanizing

I don't think botanizing is too bad. I have got to 40 without too much effort, mostly looking for acorns and woad for dye. Something I did notice though was that past about 35 you almost never find seeds or veggies anymore, only herbs. Rather annoying when you're looking for a potato ;)

I think WS gain could be upped a little up too 20ish.

I spent 2 hours yesterday imping butchering knives with average CoC tools on an alt and at 11 skill in that 2 hours i got barely 1 skill.

Painfully slow even at that stage and making a longsword or two hander is vertually impossible, how are people going to get abit of varity?

Also for consideration

• Forestry

Forestry skillgain is fine, actually - if you harvest a lot of things.

I'm currently spending about 30 mins a day in sleep bonus getting sprouts, and yet have just managed to get to 40, maybe harvesting increases it faster than picking sprouts. I will have to try and see.

• Botanizing

I don't think botanizing is too bad. I have got to 40 without too much effort, mostly looking for acorns and woad for dye. Something I did notice though was that past about 35 you almost never find seeds or veggies anymore, only herbs. Rather annoying when you're looking for a potato ;)

I went from 22 to 27 in botanising in 5 hours of sleep bonus (was searching for grains as all mine had decayed over my xmas holiday). I dont think 5 points from 5 sleep bonus hours is very good

I spent 2 hours yesterday imping butchering knives with average CoC tools on an alt and at 11 skill in that 2 hours i got barely 1 skill.

Painfully slow even at that stage and making a longsword or two hander is vertually impossible, how are people going to get abit of varity?

Whats your % chance on making those items?, as that will affect the 'making' of them, i also think it affects the skill from improving them too.