Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Jumping

Adding the ability to jump in the game, would it be useful?

Just decoratively, without any effects to fighting, running speed or similar.

What do you think?

if its "Just decoratively" then no it wont be very useful..

but I'll +1 it for useful or not.

So you mean another emote?  I'd rather see the fart emote animated.

I don't PVP, but I figure bunny jumping would become mighty annoying for those who do.

I recall a poll in Gold 1 about this, and I'm fairly sure it ended in Rolf or Notch saying he would look into jumping, but it would only have a visual effect.

If jumping would serve no actual purpose in the game, it would be better to leave it out as it would just appear to be a broken feature.

Moreover, if it appears anything like jumping in other games, it is extremely distracting and annoying to other folk. I really don't need to have to suffer immature people trying to draw attention to themselves with no consideration for others around them.

Moreover, if it appears anything like jumping in other games, it is extremely distracting and annoying to other folk. I really don't need to have to suffer immature people trying to draw attention to themselves with no consideration for others around them.

What.

What.

I think he means it would be bloody annoying to see every noob in newtown jump going "lolz,wer to plant teh bomb".

Ok so what about this plan: Three phase plan for implementing jumping in Wurm™®

phase 1: (short term)

Jumping enabled, You can see people jumping and you can jump yourself. Your stamina bar takes a hit for every jump

(this would prevent people from bunnyjumping). Jumping while going downhill would also most certainly cause increased

damage to your legs as you land.

Phase 2: (long term)

Jumping affects fighting in some way Rolf would have to decide upon later on.

Would people be able to jump over fences?

No they wouldn't. Even if you would be able to jump up on coffins, chairs, tables and boxes, you

would not be able to jump over a fence any time soon, since this would be something that would

impact the game play severly and would need solutions.

Then sure add it. Jumping onto stuff would require making collision boxes for all that stuff, right? Are you prepared to do all the work required for that?

I'm thinking of the shitstorm of bugs and problems this could introduce. People getting stuck in stuff while jumping, being able to jump over fences in spite of your best efforts to make them not able to do so, people jumping and messing up their hitboxes in PvP, etc etc etc.

Can't even fly/fall over fences, I don't think a simple jump is going to bug that one up.

Maybe make it an option for people to turn off so they don't see bunnyhoppers?

I love bunnyhopping :D

+1 You could use it to jump over fences? To block bunnyhopping you could let it cost a fair bit of stamina

Then sure add it. Jumping onto stuff would require making collision boxes for all that stuff, right? Are you prepared to do all the work required for that?

I'm thinking of the . of bugs and problems this could introduce. People getting stuck in stuff while jumping, being able to jump over fences in spite of your best efforts to make them not able to do so, people jumping and messing up their hitboxes in PvP, etc etc etc.

Sometimes the most useless features are the most fun for people.

Not adding fun isn't good.

Whether you find it useless is up to you, don't use it.

jumping ;D i wouldnt mind being able to jump up and look over houses and walls and such, maybe you need Body str or Body stam to jump then you get higher as your body stats get higher =/ just a idea

For all those of you who think jumping would make it possible to get over walls, it wont unless Rolf re-codes the way walls work.

Ever tried falling over a wall from a hill? Not possible. Walls completely block the tile border from being used.

On the topic, I think crouching would be useful. If you've ever been in a lemon forest, you'd know why.

croutch jump!!

anyways, i think that jumping as an emote would be fine... but, jumping on things is always fun :D

you could make it a prem only feature, uses body str. and uses less stamina as you gain more body str.

Prone maybe ? Couch, Prone, Stand etc ?