Sign in to follow this  
Deathangel

GV and Freedom

Is it true that golden vally non-premium accounts get to go to the Freedom server if they want to in the future?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is it true that golden vally non-premium accounts get to go to the Freedom server if they want to in the future?

• yes
    • no
    • it's just gossip
    • not soon but yes
    • not heard of

Fresh newbs are an inexpensive form of meat.

Finally a use for all my salt. :o

Now now, let's all settle down.

Xandra, i see your point, and even though i don't think every new player that gets transfered to freedom will enjoy it, it won't be the apocalypse you are predicting.

Like Max already said, if your village is telling you to 'skill up' to be of help, than maybe you should seek another village.

Right now i am involved in a project on Freedom where (literally)  ton of dirt needs to be dig, and a few thousand rock tiles mined. I would gladly take in a number of players fresh from GV and put them to work on that. Skill doesn't really matter. When the slopes get too high for them to dig, just go mine.

Don't want to do that? Ok, haul dirt and shards around so other people can terrafor or process the material to their need. And these are just examples. Max also pointed out alot of very good points on stuff that can be done by low skill players.

As far as being secure from mobs on Freedom, why would there be a need to? Deeds have guards. We also have guard towers. Even if theres none of that around, chances are you can outrun whatever is chasing you if you stay on the road. Back when JKH was still up, this is how i started. I even got killed by wild cats. :)

Alot of people are able and willing to shelter noobies when they get transfered to Freedom. The Academy is a good place. Or if they want to seek further inland, me and my gf are also building temporary housing + fenced area for whoever wishes to stay there until they find their own place.

It's not the end of the world. :)

Now now, let's all settle down.

Xandra, i see your point, and even though i don't think every new player that gets transfered to freedom will enjoy it, it won't be the apocalypse you are predicting.

Like Max already said, if your village is telling you to 'skill up' to be of help, than maybe you should seek another village.

Right now i am involved in a project on Freedom where (literally)  ton of dirt needs to be dig, and a few thousand rock tiles mined. I would gladly take in a number of players fresh from GV and put them to work on that. Skill doesn't really matter. When the slopes get too high for them to dig, just go mine.

Don't want to do that? Ok, haul dirt and shards around so other people can terrafor or process the material to their need. And these are just examples. Max also pointed out alot of very good points on stuff that can be done by low skill players.

As far as being secure from mobs on Freedom, why would there be a need to? Deeds have guards. We also have guard towers. Even if theres none of that around, chances are you can outrun whatever is chasing you if you stay on the road. Back when JKH was still up, this is how i started. I even got killed by wild cats. :)

Alot of people are able and willing to shelter noobies when they get transfered to Freedom. The Academy is a good place. Or if they want to seek further inland, me and my gf are also building temporary housing + fenced area for whoever wishes to stay there until they find their own place.

It's not the end of the world. :)

Well said.

i agree with all of this ;)

JKH was fine, this was fine.

Get rid of the FCC, make it so anything not deeded is free game and bashable. Problem solved.

thats my 2c.

Also you people that will respond being all like. BUT BUT BUT PROPHETEER, FREEDOM IS ITEM-SAFE 2010, U SHOULDNT EVEN BE ALLOWED TO HIT FENCES ON YOUR OWN DEED! Just, go away.

will there be Fo obelisques? If so then no need to worry about the trees

Yes, but thats not the point.

Well said.

i agree with all of this because i bold the part where he speaks of the academy;)

lol anyways, its typical to judge before you see it happen and there is nothing wrong with that, However you really need to take players word for it when they say the game has been f2p before and it worked just fine. When i first played wurm i took shelter with Shiro... and he was a noob and going at it alone. We both were aliens in wurm and we got through just fine especially with a good and supportive community.

Just watch what happens.

edite: we both started playing when JKH and such servers where around.

I say like Heart, it worked fine. It's unfortunate that you Gvers have gotten used to a different playing style but you'll have to change it eventually anyway since you're going to move to the premium servers sooner or later.

I played for about a month before I got my first premium and I can honestly say I never felt unwelcome or un-needed during that time. Everything was totally new to me and I had no idea of how anything worked, but having all those experienced players around really helped me. Alot. I've been logged into GV with an alt and I've seen what can happen when a bunch of inexperienced players help each other out. They try their best and they mean well, but far from everything they say is correct according to game mechanics.

As far as the "useless to premiums" part goes: I wanted to help out in my village so I performed tasks anyone could do; hauling shards, repairing stuff, collecting firewood, making nails etc etc.

I can see that some premium players are reluctant to merging GV and Freedom, mainly because there are some eternal loafers that will never get premium but always complain everytime something changes at expense of non-prems - but also because they see what GV has become.  You might not see it yourself while being there, but GV is a wasteland in some places and a garbage heap in others. It's not a good representation of the real Wurm and will never be, trust us.

I say like Heart, it worked fine. It's unfortunate that you Gvers have gotten used to a different playing style but you'll have to change it eventually anyway since you're going to move to the premium servers sooner or later.

I played for about a month before I got my first premium and I can honestly say I never felt unwelcome or un-needed during that time. Everything was totally new to me and I had no idea of how anything worked, but having all those experienced players around really helped me. Alot. I've been logged into GV with an alt and I've seen what can happen when a bunch of inexperienced players help each other out. They try their best and they mean well, but far from everything they say is correct according to game mechanics.

As far as the "useless to premiums" part goes: I wanted to help out in my village so I performed tasks anyone could do; hauling shards, repairing stuff, collecting firewood, making nails etc etc.

I can see that some premium players are reluctant to merging GV and Freedom, mainly because there are some eternal loafers that will never get premium but always complain everytime something changes at expense of non-prems - but also because they see what GV has become.  You might not see it yourself while being there, but GV is a wasteland in some places and a garbage heap in others. It's not a good representation of the real Wurm and will never be, trust us.

You might not see it yourself while being there, but GV is a wasteland in some places and a garbage heap in others. It's not a good representation of the real Wurm and will never be, trust us.

Yup GV turned into wasteland just after 6 months from it's creation.

And since it's been around more than year you know it looks just horrid.

JKH had the occasional issue with free player population explosions but at least on Freedom we will have a better educated free players.

It will work, it has worked and its great for the free players to experience WurmOnline on a proper server.

Hopefully they manage to avoid the premiums who treat them as invading "second class citizens".

Hi,

@ Maximilus:

Hey, I haven't felt insulted by you at all! :)

All you wrote was plausible, even if I cannot agree with all - so no problems at all!

And, I'm not concerned of what I left on GV for my alt - may it explode, I'm living on Freedom now, and have already payed for quite some game time ;-)

But I feel a little sad about all of the work that has been done there, Amnesty road, the tunnels, all this stuff that the PA's and countless people have created in many, many hours. I have to admit I wasn't among them :(

@ Aeris:

Sorry when what I felt insulting wasn't aimed at me - I apologize to have felt insulted by insults not aimed at me!

About my new village and my skills:

I don't have any problem. I was received with open arms, I have received more help than I ever imagined, I'm completely free to do what I desire, and I have free access to tools I never dreamed of. I'm more than happy in my new village, among my friends!

But I see what cannot be ignored: What I'm farming is useless for my friends - who needs L24 pumpkins? 20+ planks? 20+ shards or ore?

I get any help I could ever wish, but I just cannot help to feel a little "useless" ... Maybe I could do some digging for a road project, sure, but this would hinder the further development of my more important skills.

And when I left for Freedom, I had most of my skills at 20. I had spent quite some time on GV, skilling like mad.

How would someone feel that comes to Freedom with skills like 5? What possibilities for such a player in a village? What to do to pay for the help you receive? Right, digging. Digging. More Digging.

I don't think Freedom needs an army of diggers.

Have fun, and a good time!

where's the "GTFO" or "Shut Up and Play" option?

any noob can acquire the skills needed to live alone within a month... fight skill, cooking, farming, building skills (carpentry/masonry)... all it takes is the initiative to actually do it...

If things arent going the way you want them to in the village you're in, you can leave and join another, or be a hermit, simple as that...

non-prems will be fine... before Freedom there was JKH, it's going to work the same way except there are no ore caps, you can't travel to wild by boat, and more rules are in place...

I started out as a noob on JKH, when i finally got premium i immediately worked on mining, then masonry and a few other skills... the titles were what made me work. I wasn't let down by "the village elders have more skill than me and can do anything, i guess i'm useless because my skills are low". I worked to become like them... :)

How would someone feel that comes to Freedom with skills like 5? What possibilities for such a player in a village? What to do to pay for the help you receive? Right, digging. Digging. More Digging.

Actually, alot of things can be done with that player. For example, those QL 20 planks you mention earlier can be used for repairing fences and walls. Same for shards. They can even be QL 2 or 3 I'm sure they'd still be used. Even the new player himself can do the repairing for more skillgain (until he reaches the skil cap).

Or the new player could mire and smelt ore, even at low QL, and mass produce nails or ribbons.

Yes, there are limitations to what new players can do, but that has ALWAYS been like that. We all started with low skills, it's not specific to GVers.

Let's compare GV to non-prems on Freedom:

GV:

1 - A mess. Runis and deserts.

Why is this though? because the only tutorial they have is the one we have. The guide tells them to do something, but the only way they have to figure out how something works, is by doing it themselves. Some players build houses only to quit because the game is too much work, or because of the steep learning curve. The NEW tutorial will fix most of these cases.

2 - Fresh mean for Mobs.

In my opinion, this is nothing you don't experience on GV. The only difference is that on GV you barely see any animal spawns, thus you don't have to run for your live away from them.

3 - Skill Limitations.

On GV it might be easier to have your skills be worth more because everyone is capped at 20, but the downside of it is the 3x decay rate. Even a 20QL fence only lasts so long under that kind of Decay. This limits the size of settlements players can make. Players have to settle with smaller settlements so they can afford to repair it all and not go insane. This also means they have to put more time and effort even onto small settlements. Because the max QL you can get any tool is 30 (with alot of effort) it means that building and repairing is a time consuming task.

Freedom:

1 - Players will be much better informed after completing the tutorial. Freedom is 16 times the size of GV. Back when JKH was up, the surrounding area was clearcut as well, but walk 50 or so tiles out on the main highway and you found yourself in a lush forest. It will not be the same in freedom if the starting point remains at Samling. Than the new players will not be able to build within a large distance of Samling and you know what? Last time i was in Samling there was already a desert all around it.

2 - On freedom if you stick to the min roads, than you will be fine. there are plenty of agros, but i doubt you'll see them on the main roads. I'd say that around 90% of all agros are deep in the forest. there is always the occasional one that wonders onto a road, but even as a new player if you stick to the cobblestone/slab you can outrun anything until you either find some spirit/tower guards, or some player to get him off of you. Even if that means leaving your cart behind while you run. This is where the difference in skill comes in handy. An experienced fighter can get anything off your back, even a champion lava spider. He might even share some of the butcher products with you.

3 - On Freedom, you can work for someone in exchange for tools. Where your 30QL saw only produced10 or 12 planks from all the logs of an overaged tree, the QL 60 one you can get (possibly with enchants) will make around 30 planks, faster and with a chance of more of them coming out out the QL of the log. Same with pickaxes, hatchets, etc. With the normal decay rate, everything will last longer. This will let new players not have to repair as often, and not spend as much time doing it so they can enjoy the game more. Maybe they like the server so much that they get premium, and than they can work on getting higher skills themselves. If not, well they can do whatever they want to do. The new players that don't get premium time know they will still be capped at 20 skill, they know they won't be able to make things as high as premium members but is just a part of the game. Even they they can be very helpfull and have alot of things they can do, it's only logical that they won't be able to do everything. If they want to do everything, than get premium time. It's not different than in GV right now. Players who get tired of the 20 Skill cap move to the other servers all the time.

You know as well, most people are in a village to play, chat and have a laugh, not seeking employment.

But I feel a little sad about all of the work that has been done there, Amnesty road, the tunnels, all this stuff that the PA's and countless people have created in many, many hours. I have to admit I wasn't among them :(

Game still in beta, this could happen to all the servers. You just pick up and move on to a better place.

I don't have any problem. I was received with open arms, I have received more help than I ever imagined, I'm completely free to do what I desire, and I have free access to tools I never dreamed of. I'm more than happy in my new village, among my friends!

But I see what cannot be ignored: What I'm farming is useless for my friends - who needs L24 pumpkins? 20+ planks? 20+ shards or ore?

ql24 Pumpkins or lower- Practice dolls to raise FS; feed pigs; crush into seeds for stock or feed/tame chickens, roosters, deer, horses, unicorns, pheasants, etc; Cooking (add it to the meal for more volume - 1 meal feed 2-3 instead of 1 person).

ql20 planks or lower- repair/improve/build fences/walls, later a high ql carpenter can pick up and improve higher; Floor boards; stock to build carts, chests, barrels, bsb's, fsb's, trash heaps.

ql20 shards or lower - repair/improve/build fences, later a high ql Mason can pick up and improve higher; low ql bricks and/or slabs for paving; bricks to repair/improve/build tall stone walls and house walls; Stock for building wells, coffins, oven, forges, mailboxes, etc.

ql20 ore - build tons and I mean tons (always needed) of nails, ribbons; craft low ql everything and prepared for a high smither to improve; Create iron bars for the masons.

All of this could be consider some kind of apprenticeship to a master, while you take care of all the materials and the preparation of the items, someone with higher skills comes after you and improve all the items to higher levels. Both of you gain as in the master craftsman don't have to do the time consuming work and can concentrate on improving his craft, and the apprentice will gain skill as he prepares everything to one day be the master, win - win.

Besides this let me see, anyone with skills at 20 or less:

Forestry, gardening, fishing, farming(not harvesting), digging, mining, woodcutting, grooming, moving lots of materials from point A to point B, sprout picking, mixed Grass picking, foraging, botanize, animal hunting (as in looking for wild horses, chickens, etc) and helping transport them to the village, etc, etc, etc; Even company for others to just sit there and talk and do nothing else on village chat lol.

There are many, many things someone with low skills can do to help an already establish settlement, and I'm sure I can come up with many, many more things to add to this list here.

The dirt layer on Freedom is a nightmare, I have dig out probably over 100,000 dirt's of my place and I still got 2 hills to go, all of this without even getting close to the rock layer. All this dirt have been use to build 2 islands, 4 huge Dock areas, raise about 100 slopes on 2 different Deeds, and build a temporary "bridge" to connect one Deed with another. An army of diggers don't sound that bad for some of us lol, again, see above, plenty of others things to do, not just dig.

Hi,

thx, Shiro, for your well thought of & educated post!

Actually, alot of things can be done with that player. For example, those QL 20 planks you mention earlier can be used for repairing fences and walls. Same for shards. They can even be QL 2 or 3 I'm sure they'd still be used. Even the new player himself can do the repairing for more skillgain (until he reaches the skil cap).

Fully agree, but how much newbies would be needed for such? A few, right. Now think of all that end the tutorial arriving at Freedom. Do we have enough fences to be repaired?

At the moment there's a close to equal number of players on GV, and on Freedom. Fences, houses and such are decaying very slowly on Freedom. How to keep all of these left over newbies occupied?

Or the new player could mire and smelt ore, even at low QL, and mass produce nails or ribbons.

In my village there's actually hundreds of nails and ribbons in the storage bins. QL 40 & higher.

Yes, there are limitations to what new players can do, but that has ALWAYS been like that. We all started with low skills, it's not specific to GVers.

We all started on GV. And GV was the place to live with the low skills, and to improve 'em.

Putting newbies into Freedom after a tutorial wouldn't do any good. Without most skills at least at 20 they'd be of no much use - as mentioned, the amount of fences to repair is very limited.

Sure, there are some uses - but would this be enough? I doubt.

GV:

1 - A mess. Runis and deserts.

Why is this though? because the only tutorial they have is the one we have. The guide tells them to do something, but the only way they have to figure out how something works, is by doing it themselves. Some players build houses only to quit because the game is too much work, or because of the steep learning curve. The NEW tutorial will fix most of these cases.

I doubt. The ruins and the desert comes, IMHO, from a basic human desire: To create something big.

They come, they see big farms around ND, and they want to have to similar, too. So they chop the landscape into a desert, build huge houses and even larger farm areas, see that they never'd be able to maintain, and drop.

I've seen a lot of "newbies" that have actually spent silver to buy cattle, or horses. Just to leave 'em behind a week later.

A better tutorial might work. Tell them newbies that no phat landowner ever has fallen down from heaven, that it always was the result of hard work. Tell 'em to start small, to slowly improve their abilities, maybe this might cause a change to the better.

2 - Fresh mean for Mobs.

In my opinion, this is nothing you don't experience on GV. The only difference is that on GV you barely see any animal spawns, thus you don't have to run for your live away from them.

On GV west coast where I lived before I went premium there wasn't much beasts. A few wolves every now and then, the occasional rats, sometimes a pack of cave bugs. Nothing that couldn't be handled, maybe with the help of a few higher skilled players.

Last year, when I lived at Emerald coast, then it was a bigger problem - but it was handled by the community usually. Even the insane bear spawn then.

Freedom:

1 - Players will be much better informed after completing the tutorial. Freedom is 16 times the size of GV. Back when JKH was up, the surrounding area was clearcut as well, but walk 50 or so tiles out on the main highway and you found yourself in a lush forest. It will not be the same in freedom if the starting point remains at Samling. Than the new players will not be able to build within a large distance of Samling and you know what? Last time i was in Samling there was already a desert all around it.

Exactely. And this is what I try to explain: Wherever the newbies will arrive, there'll be a huge desert surrounding this place. Gratz if you have a deed there. You'll be caged in your deed, with a vast desert surrounding it. And with a poisoned local chat. Have fun!

2 - On freedom if you stick to the min roads, than you will be fine.

I've joined my village at monday last week. Since I've seen a few bears, a few scorpions, a bunch of mine bugs and even a lava fiend. On the deed.

No problem, for sure - but I'd not like to see them outside of deed, w/o the help of guards. Walking outside is a no-no at the moment for me, even if I could use 40+ chain armor, or plate.

Have fun!

Beside of this I'll stop posting in this thread. You gave me a lot to think about, and I have a lot of work to do in my village.

Maybe one of my ideas might have found an open ear?

Anyway, have fun, and a good time!

@ Aeris:

Sorry when what I felt insulting wasn't aimed at me - I apologize to have felt insulted by insults not aimed at me!

No problem gurl, I think you should read again though and tell me what the offending part is so I can tell you what it really means so you'll stop being so mad! :D

[1]But I see what cannot be ignored: What I'm farming is useless for my friends - who needs L24 pumpkins? 20+ planks? 20+ shards or ore?

[2]I get any help I could ever wish, but I just cannot help to feel a little "useless" ... Maybe I could do some digging for a road project, sure, but this would hinder the further development of my more important skills.

[3]And when I left for Freedom, I had most of my skills at 20. I had spent quite some time on GV, skilling like mad.

[4]How would someone feel that comes to Freedom with skills like 5? What possibilities for such a player in a village? What to do to pay for the help you receive? Right, digging. Digging. More Digging.

[5]I don't think Freedom needs an army of diggers.

Just gonna answer some of your questions here.

[1] What your skills are needed for is not always the resources coming with them, but what you can do with the skill. Farming skill for example can be used to feed the horses, replant fields that animals feed upon etc. Planks though are almost always needed regardless of QL, just think of all the containers needed in a village! Shards or ore are almost always needed, and for things like building ondeed wells etc the QL of the shard is not important and for creating things with blacksmithing it's preferable to use low QL ore to be honest.

Apart from that you might want to search for veins in a mine, and what skill you have when mining tunnels matters very little.

[2] I am not sure what your problem is...? There isn't always work to be done by high skilled players either, sometimes it's just slow and you have to find something of your own to do.

[3] This is actually unfortunate since you hindered the growth of some, if not all, of your characteristics skillgain. Alot of people on GV does not see this since it is not an obvious thing to discover on a server where noone can exceed 20 in any skill.

[4] That is just not true. I have, actually, been through the transferring of a 0 skilled alt from GV. They are very useful indeed, and we're not even using it as a digger but for other more important things. Skills aren't meant to be there to begin with, it's something you get with time. Also not everything needing to be done require skill.

[5] I thought you said you played on Freedom? S: It has that kind of annoying dirt layer that will just never be how you want it to be. An army of diggers are indeed needed...

Low level players coming across are certainly not useless. One thing I see in some is a lack of self motivation which is absolutely necessary in a game of this type especially when you remove the structure of Wild. A freshly premmed Wurmian must have some personal goals.

I think the best experience a new player could get would be in coming to freedom with some good friends from GV and surviving/building together. You do see this, or attempts at this though it usually falters at some point when the original group diminish for whatever reason.

I didn't experience JKH but I'm pretty certain there is enough room here to accommodate the non-prems but I think the area of land surrounding the spawn point will have to be heavily managed or we just accept it turns to mini GV.

I spent maybe 1/2 a day on GV before moving to Freedom and have had no regrets about doing so.

1) Aggros - Not even a worry to be honest. I have about 5 or 6 FS, probably less than most GV'ers have. I do a great deal of off-road exploring. Freedom has only 2 terrain types: Road and Mountain.  ;D If you get aggro on the road, then run to the nearest guards, they are everywhere. If you get aggro off road, then run/fall down slope and lose the aggro instantly. Hunters keep the aggro critters pretty much wiped out.

2) De/Reforestation - With the current timers and fail rate on picking/planting sprouts it is no wonder that nobody will ever reforest an area without a damn good reason. 30 second timers and 10 fails in a row will quickly discourage that type of behavior. Rolf is/was in the process of tweaking timers, maybe he can shorten the picking/planting timer to max 10 seconds and get rid of the fail chance? I don't see how it would break anything to do so. If someone is going to plant an orchard or something then they will do it regardless of the timers.

3) Employment / Usefulness - Low skills are not useless. It is mostly finished items that get imped to high QL. If I'm building a fence, BSB, house, forge, etc. I do not care if you hand me a stack of 90QL or 1QL planks. Same goes for nails, ribbons, chains, pegs, tenons, shafts, shards, ore, etc. There are a few situations where a high QL resource is needed, but for the bulk of the jobs it doesn't matter.

4) Most of your complaints about having to move to Freedom will go away when someone sticks a 80QL/80 CoC/80 WoA tool in your hand.  ;D

I came to Freedom with a new, completely non-skilled up, character. I planted a deed, and started to work on it. My skills are now mostly up in the 30's or 40's and I'm not even finished my deed yet. I would love to concentrate on one skill to grind up, as this is the way to be successful in the economy, but have had to spread the skill gain around doing maintenance and everything else by myself on my deed. I wouldn't mind having a few GV'ers around to do that stuff so that I can be freed up to pursue my own money making skills.

2) De/Reforestation - With the current timers and fail rate on picking/planting sprouts it is no wonder that nobody will ever reforest an area without a damn good reason. 30 second timers and 10 fails in a row will quickly discourage that type of behavior. Rolf is/was in the process of tweaking timers, maybe he can shorten the picking/planting timer to max 10 seconds and get rid of the fail chance? I don't see how it would break anything to do so. If someone is going to plant an orchard or something then they will do it regardless of the timers.

But but, I want more skill gain. I plant an orchard for skill. ;)

It feels like the shorten timer in making healing covers reduced my natural substance skill gain. Same will apply to those skills you mentioned if this was true.

Well anyway back on topic. It just sound like you were unlucky with the planting. QL (damaged will reduce the effective QL) and skill affects your success. Other than part 2, well said windreaver.

But but, I want more skill gain. I plant an orchard for skill. ;)

It feels like the shorten timer in making healing covers reduced my natural substance skill gain. Same will apply to those skills you mentioned if this was true.

Sure, but if he can change a timer then he can change the skill gain rate to compensate or switch it to a per action instead of per time gain.

He could. I thought about it, if skill gain was reduced, I would need real data than just feelings before I make that kind of suggestion.

If he mentioned that it was compensated, I would feel better about it ;)

As of today, Rolf june 24, 2010 ,post is most recent offical word on this subject.

Fully understand it is Rolf sole choice to Market his game anyway he wants.

Rolf is a smart Marketer.

when Rolf makes the final decision,it will be announced in the News, and on the wurm Blog with full details.

Gv is a Marketing tool, an incentive to encourage players to join the paying world.

Game shops are also marketing tools, as are one time memberships.

Obviously some one as sensitive to feedback in his marketing as Rolf has shown he is, will make changes  a manner which best supports maintining a player base and doesnot drive players away form the game.

Unfortunately any change will always cause some players to be loss it is just the human nature to change.

Prsently its announced after the new tutorial is finished player maybe allowed to play on Freedom.

My plan is to stay on GV as I have built my home and Farm and have invested 71 game days into it, as well as many hours of that time building roads etc for the community.

As such my reason for staying is based on loss as well, loss of my invested time.

All Game owners/developers do want a world with player active in it, the more the merrier.

The more active ,the more buzz, the more word of mouth advertising, the more hits , thismre a ching, resulting income.

We are all presently Rolf advestising messenger spreading the word how Great wurm is come play (pay for it) and as any Marketer knows the best advertising is word of mouth and free word of mouth advertising is unbeatable and that why Rolf allows us to free play the game.

The Flamers saying freeplayers should be greatfully for what ever they are given misses this whole concept of created wealth.

From what I have understood it is not a choice for free players to play on Freedom Purkee, it's mandatory. GV will be an obvious player tutorial server with no inhabitants whatsoever. You either quit the game after the tutorial or you play on Freedom. Or better yet pay and be a premium player on either of the servers.

By letting people stay on GV they'd accomplish absolutely nothing since many players would react just like you did about it, that is "screw the real servers, I have invested x ingame days on the tutorial server". He didn't intend for people to stay on GV for such a long time that they'd grow attached to it. It's always a good thing if you like the game, but clogging up the server where people take their first steps into the wurmian world is not a good thing. Instead of letting people realize this on their own he is going to make them play on another (much bigger) server so this won't happen again. Some claim that the permanent GVers aren't really that many and won't cause a problem, but I dare to disagree. I have tried getting friends to try out Wurm and they liked what they saw of the game, but the problem was the GV inhabitants. A friend of mine who tried the game out got chased away for cutting down a tree, since GV is very shorthanded on those and people seem to have adopted what's left of them. He liked the game idea but he's not gonna pay for the game based on what he saw on GV. I wouldn't either if I had started out there without ever having seen what premium is like.

You claim that by having GV there he makes more money, yet you have played for 71 ingame days (which by most standards is alot) and still he hasn't made a dime off of you. GV is simply not a working concept and Rolf knows this. Why would he keep on letting players play on it after the revamp?

If he lets players keep on playing on GV after the revamp I will be most disappointed, but even more surprised.

I agree, letting players try the game out for free is a great concept but I don't want them dwelling on GV when they can try out the real game on the Freedom server instead. By the way, people aren't flamers for stating that free players should accept what they are given, they are correct. If you don't pay for it what right do you have to complain about it? Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Reading both of your posts just sparked an idea.

When the new change is implemented, we could let free players roam around in GV for 24 in-game hours (later on though after most player-made things decay or deleted), before they are forced to move to Freedom. They can leave for Freedom anytime via the Freedom Portal.