Eyesgood

Suggestion for Black Friday Next Year

Before I rant, I really do appreciate the Black Friday sale each year.  Even if it was for one day only, I would jump on it.  But I want to nitpick something that is frustrating to me.  Something feels OFF about the sale and I will tell you what it is.  I am noticing a lot of games and gaming sites are having sales this week - the whole week!  They are advertising great discounts like 75% off, 60%, 50% off subs this week, etc..  Wurm also has a sale, but it lacks the punch it claims to have.  Wurm announces up to 30% OFF THIS WEEK ONLY...  That's simply misleading.  It is up to 30% off for 1 whole minute on Nov. 23rd., and then all day from Nov. 24th to Nov. 26th (3 whole days) and then six hours on Nov. 27th.  The sale is WITHIN the week, but NOT a week.  Seriously?  Why the numbers game?  Why the deceptive messaging?  Why is the Wurm Online sale window so incredibly strange?  Why proclaim THIS WEEK ONLY, when actually, it is just ~3.25 days? 

Why am I complaining about it?  I will tell you why.  This is the kind of misleading advertising (along beside fake art) that contributes to a bad reputation (my opinion about the decision - not any persons specifically).  And to top it off, I really appreciate all the great goodies that are available all the way out to December 2nd!  So, I get 3.25 days to catch a coin sale, and then 8.25 days to spend them.  It seems to me it should have been flipped around.  It should be 8+ days to getting the 30% off discounts and only 3+ days pick up items I want.  May I suggest flipping it around next year?  You might get a lot more sales if you give more time to obtain them.

Ok, rant over.  My 2c.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

They didn't say that Wurm would be 30% off for the entire week, only that it would be 30% off for some time this week.

Get over yourself.

• Like 1

Meh, a dry leaf to hang around my neck is not going to make me re-prem anyway.

I don't think people understand that this stuff is cumulative - it is the sum total of marketing behaviour that is a little underwhelming for being other than it first appears.  

Images that look like they could be screenshots, but could never be duplicated in game give a flavour of bait and switch.

"This week only" is technically true but at the same time initially misleading.

It reminds me of real estate marketing.  "Cosy home" = 1 room cabin. "Location Location Location!" = crappy house in good neighbourhood, whereas "Best house in the street!" = good house in crappy neighbourhood.   "Close to public transport" = "Backs onto the train tracks".  There reason those are memes is because that industry has earned a reputation for such behaviour.   What reputation is Wurm is earning?

The messaging is indeed somewhat awkward. The first thing you see in the launcher right now is the picture of the black Friday sale, saying that there are discounts up to 30% this week. Now this makes one believe that the discounts are already present right now since today is obviously part of this week, right? It wouldn't surprise me if some people went to the shop only to be disappointed. After all, you need to scroll down to the fine print in order to see that "this week" is actually more like "this weekend".

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

4nxgHmZ5kv.png

mfw someone criticizes a black friday discount on a niche game days before thanksgiving.

• Like 1

Don't really see the whole issue with it. The game has a cheap sub to begin with. WoW subs are about double of Wurm subs. You might say it has plenty of content released etc., but then again it has waaaaay more subscribers. Way more. This is a niche game. It has very few subscribers. Still even as it is it doesn't clutter the game with a clowny cash shop and flashy nonsense.

And about those hours... I think that's based on feedback from last year. Because it said "Friday to Sunday" or something like that, but the end of Sunday is different across the globe, so some people who tried getting the offer in the last few hours were surprised it wasn't available anymore :) .

• Like 2

30% is phat. It's a sub price. The sub has been constant for ages. So 30% off that is a fair deal. Not to mention it was pretty much the same every year.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Idlamn said:

Don't really see the whole issue with it. The game has a cheap sub to begin with. WoW subs are about double of Wurm subs.

You can have 60 (yes, SIXTY) characters on that one WoW account, and the vast majority of people only ever have one single account. Wurm is one character per account, and it's pretty much standard to have more than one. If you want a main and a few priests you quickly get more expensive than that WoW sub.

• Like 2

As far as I know, you cannot play those characters simultaneously.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

As far as I know, you cannot play those characters simultaneously.

Yeah but that doesn't matter. The average Wurm player is going to pay just as much or more than the average WoW player.

Of course that does matter. My priest accounts highly depend on their independence, mostly when it comes to summoning, healing, fighting together. Without that, Wurm would be a different game, and not a better one. And I would certainly not pay more to be able to alternatively log the one or the other character role.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Of course that does matter. My priest accounts highly depend on their independence, mostly when it comes to summoning, healing, fighting together. Without that, Wurm would be a different game, and not a better one. And I would certainly not pay more to be able to alternatively log the one or the other character role.

Same here, it's why I also had two different accounts in Eve Online back in the day even though you could have multiple characters in one account.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Yeah, I like being able to log in my priest independently too. But the point here was that claiming Wurm is cheaper than WoW because a single toon costs less than a WoW account doesn't work out, because anyone who plays Wurm in any serious capacity is going to have multiple toons, and is therefore going to be paying that subscription several times.

22 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

Yeah, I like being able to log in my priest independently too. But the point here was that claiming Wurm is cheaper than WoW because a single toon costs less than a WoW account doesn't work out, because anyone who plays Wurm in any serious capacity is going to have multiple toons, and is therefore going to be paying that subscription several times.

Who gives you the right to decide if you need multiple toons to play Wurm in any serious capacity?

I'm perfectly happy to play with a single toon, and buy enchanted tools or whatever else services I need.

6 minutes ago, thibbledorf said:

Who gives you the right to decide if you need multiple toons to play Wurm in any serious capacity?

It's an observation, not a legal statement.

6 minutes ago, thibbledorf said:

I'm perfectly happy to play with a single toon, and buy enchanted tools or whatever else services I need.

Good for you. There will always be exceptions.

On 11/21/2023 at 9:10 PM, TheTrickster said:

Meh, a dry leaf to hang around my neck is not going to make me re-prem anyway.

So, what keep you awake to post 24/7 in the forums? 😂

you know very well that The PVP new update is never ever coming.

you know very well that the marketing from this company is greedy, shady, and evil.

but you always here. In every single post.

Comparing WoW's multi roles on one account to Wurm's independent accounts is misleading if not openly dishonest.

WoW allows multirole character creation due to its cemented player class structure. Otherwise an account holder playing a warrior, paladin, priest, human, dwarf, orc or whatever could never try any of the other classes, races etc. 

Wurm is a classless game. Not as classless as, say Ryzom, as of course, the decision to choose or change the way of a priest or a crafter etc. has consequences, but you may always change that decision.  And still, Wurm stays ways cheaper than WoW. Not that it makes much sense to compare. Skills in WoW are practically thrown onto you, it is not a grinder, no terraforming, shabby crafting, good and excellently balanced combat and social interaction with a huge number of fellow players. Graphics, erm matter of taste.

• Like 1

It's a different philosophy. That's why they have a single character - you can raise all skills. But to speed things up you will have to rely on other players for trade. It brings immersion to the game.

OSRS has the same approach but as with Wurm you can do all skills. Mortal Online 2 has the same approach, however characters are specialized - basically a skill system like Wurm's but you can only have a few of those skills leveled at the same time. And starting 28th Nov it will be around 15eur a month. Some people have multiple accounts, sure. But a great number of people enjoy it with a single account, immersive mode.

A single wow sub will let you experience all the game has to offer. It's very common in wow to set up the characters on your account so you have all possible crafts covered and have a few toons that are very efficient at farming materials. Essentially this is exactly what happens with priest alts in Wurm. 

In wurm it's very common for players to buy premium for your crafter, premium for your priest alts, and buy silver to fund the deed. It's possible to play Wurm for less than a wow sub but it's also possible to pay more than a wow sub. Wurm's greatest strength here is we can use game currency to pay all that stuff an pay nothing to Wurm. I don't think that is an option in wow.

And to the OP, is this explained by time zone? it wouldn't be a full week in any time zone, but the division of days might make more sense.

32 minutes ago, joedobo said:

Wurm's greatest strength here is we can use game currency to pay all that stuff an pay nothing to Wurm. I don't think that is an option in wow.

It is, via a tradeable subscription token. Back when I played WoW I went a year or so without paying real money for my subscription.