Sign in to follow this  
Telurius

Wine and Drunkenness

Drinking wine in-game increases your water level and stamina and also appears to increase a value I refer to as drunkenness.  After drinking wine, a message may be displayed giving a rough indication of your drunkenness level.  I am not aware of any way to see a more exact value for drunkenness.  If the wine is high QL, you will also get messages about how good the wine is, but those messages are separate.  The drunkenness messages in order from least to most drunk are:

Normal (no drunkenness message)
"You are tipsy."
"You are getting drunk."
"You are drunk."
"You are really really drunk."
"You can barely walk."
"You are setting some kind of record."

When you reach "You can barely walk." your movement speed decreases significantly.  It will not increase back from your drunkenness simply decreasing, but relogging and staying logged off long enough to leave the game world can restore your movement speed.  However, relogging does not appear to clear drunkenness, so drinking more after such a relog can quickly reduce your movement speed again (or worse).

When extremely drunk, it can cause eating/drinking to fail, destroying the food/drink (the entire item).  This often occurs at "You can barely walk." and always occurs at "You are setting some kind of record".

For food (both solid and liquid foods), it yields this message: "You miss the mouth and it ends up in your face. Who gives a damn?"
For drinks, it yields a message of the following form (replacing <drink type> with a drink type): "You spill the <drink type> out. Who cares?"

Depending on how drunk you are, there is a chance for "*hic*" and "*burp*" (Sometimes they'll be in all lowercase and other times in all caps.) to be inserted into messages you send in-game, replacing a portion of the messages.  This can also affect private messages.  There's some randomness to both when it happens and where it's inserted in the messages.

Neither QL nor weight of wine appear to significantly affect drunkenness.  It seems to increase at about the same rate per drink action regardless of QL and weight consumed.  Drunkenness gradually decreases over time.  Relogging does not clear drunkenness, but can clear some of the effects from it.  Both QL and weight of wine significantly affect how much water is filled by drinking it.  QL of wine significantly affects stamina recovery from drinking it, but weight does not appear to.

Also, there is an achievement for driving while drunk named "Irresponsible Driving".  Its mouseover text is "Haven't you heard? Don't drink and drive!"  I got it while driving a large cart around drunk, but I'm not sure of the exact requirements.  In particular, I'm not sure if it will work for other vehicles (and if so, which ones), I'm not sure what the minimum drunkenness level to get it is, and I'm not sure of any less obvious (distance, time, etc.) requirements there might be for it.

• Like 9

I want to tell you nice job on recording all of this, but I'm not sure if it'd be the responsible thing to do. Encouraging alcoholism is bad d:

• Like 2

Heeey I got the drunk driving one lol 

May try it on cops irl someday... "I drank half a liter of wine to have the stamina to reach my vehicle" .... let y'all know how that went when they let me out of jail =P

Nice work logging all this data....it sounds fun to try out :)

I'm a Wine Maker myself and have some good QL wines all dated with the Wurm year they were made....but i have never tried drinking them to see what would happen (if anything at all)

Thanks for the info Lord Telurius and thanks again for.... "Taking one....or more for the team" :P

I may just have a tipple or to now and then. :)

Yeah good job on keeping track of this, i also want to add that there is archievement when you embark on a boat while drunk, Drunken sailor or something

What about Polish players? We should have increased resistance against alcohol : D

• Like 2

I hear drinking QL0.9 or lower gives you the "US Beer" achievement =P

• Like 3

After the setting a record message you should fall down and become immobile. Or stumble to the nearest cliff and fall down it. Or walk up to the nearest nasty venerable troll and try to make friends. Or try to swim and drown.

• Like 2

Or have your screen go blank and "wake up" (be teleported to) someplace random on the map OR if you're lucky, find yourself asleep on the floor 1m away from your bed.

Would be more like my youth =P

Depending on how drunk you are, there is a chance for "*hic*" and "*burp*" (Sometimes they'll be in all lowercase and other times in all caps.) to be inserted into messages you send in-game, replacing a portion of the messages.  This can also affect private messages.  There's some randomness to both when it happens and where it's inserted in the messages.

Thank You!

I remember when I first joined a village there was a villager suffering from a bug where he constantly had this problem even after all his drunkenness disappeared. I asked people about this effect years later and they all thought I was imagining it.

So happy to see its 1) still in the game and 2) not a figment of my Insanity.

Edited by Maxthx