Sign in to follow this  
cooutlaw119

Art of the survivalist

Ok I still have many ideas for the hunting and even some fishing ideas amoung other things. Ok with the new mega. server out finally and all the freedom islands being connected to it the time has come for the survivalist to show their colors. First I still think their need to be hunting traps and neutral animals sould respawn more often. One trap sould be a deadfall trap made with a shovel on dirt or pickaxe on stone these traps sould kill the animal that stumbles into it istently yeah it sounds op but it would only work on animals not players and it will take a while to build. also many other traps that I will discuss later. Also fishing is another thing that can improve their sould be spear fishing but also the many items in the Fishing Items thread I will link it on monday. Hunting should be improved with many traps and new crafting items and a few new skills or improvements but I will post more later on today.

we have traps... and fighting have many many skills related to it.. it just the mobs aint too challenging pass 70 for the skills to take great effect.

+1

I want to build animal snares and fish with a spear !

Traps may have worked on deed at one time for aggressive animals or maybe it was for players on Kos, its been a long time.

• Like 1

I like hunting so some traps for just animals sould exist thats were this topic comes in. As for traps hunters in the middle ages would use many traps. Including dead fall traps,snares,bow traps,nets with barbs in them and many others. Fishermen would also use nets and cages also it would be awsome if pearl farms were a things but that would require a diving macanic so I don't see that happening. As far as crafting fur armour and other items made of fur. Small game is a must like birds and rabbits. Hawking would be cool to . Plus adding small game will make the islands feel more alive.

It would be nice if traps worked on mobs... though, set traps would need a longer live span.

• Like 2

I'd ask for a full trap over haul first as they are terrible and even with their current damage I'd just recommend training longbow for freedom I know thats how I killed everything their

also if its instant kill of any animal the griefing and accidents could be terrible as someone could just land mine a road and wait for a guy on horseback to explode (well horse explode)

while I'd love a snare trap or something constructable (maybe rabbit meat? they have them hoping around) or a fishing box or something you can deploy and get some food from without hunting might be easier - make it kinda like a coal pile - every bla bla hours it collects bla bla meat and misc animal parts based off QL - it burns out this many hours depending on QL and wood type - takes 10 shafts a rope and a 5 small nails for land based one - and 10 ropes a log and 10 string for the water based one - would help for people with no food source other then plants because they do not hunt or have easy access to water - meat QL would be based off QL of trap

• Like 1

It would be nice if traps worked on mobs... though, set traps would need a longer live span.

+1 Mob traps, fishing nets/traps and a spear would be pretty cool to fish with maybe it can be used were the fishing rod cant be, ie deep water swimming around.

Last I checked, traps do work on animals. They might have to be targeting you though.

The traps would only work on wild animals not the tamed ones the traps we have now do not have a use on freedom as they can't even be built on freedom last I checked and as far as horses traps will only work on wild untamed not all if that is your concern.

Most players don't want to tame their horse because Invites more creatures to target it instead. If there was a mechanic that checked if the creature was bred, if not bred then maybe it will work.

Not necessarily,  player sees big bad troll, player puts down tons of axe traps between himself and troll, player kites troll over traps... win.    

An offset there could be to remove exp and titles from the kill. Aside from the initial trap skill.

Never killed anyone or anything with traps alone, so not sure if there is any fighting gain. The traps usually slowed em down for melee or archery.

Most horses if bred are already tamed in my opinion but the devs could probably find a way to make it where it won't target a animal attached to a cart, being lead or riden

most horses I see are untamed and I've played freedom chaos and epic so might just be your area

also the idea is a good one but you need to adapt it to work more efficiently because if its a 1 hit kill for animals I could just drop a trap in front of a rageing zombie troll or dominated troll and kill it instantly or deploy traps in front of riders and kill all their horses instantly - it just seems over powered and kinda useless I'd rather see traps have a more utility option like generating food and glands randomly - would stop random deaths and easier to program and no instant free kills over animals

The biggest problem with existing traps is that decay reduces the effect so with axe traps its damage. Run over an old trap and it probably won't even scratch you.

This means that traps have to be laid and "used" pretty close to immediately. You can't use traps as a protective measure as they simply don't last long enough.

• Like 1

Let alone running a trap line and waiting for an animal to wander into one of them.

The traps I suggest are for hunting it is hard for players at low fighting to take on many animals it might seem op but it only takes 1 shot to kill because the trap would be one shot do it would be balinced also since this post is not just for hunting and is for surviving as well as exploring how about a way to set a temporary camp we need more shealters a hunters tent would be nice made of fur to keep out the wind thhs would have to use a new material of fur from small game aka rabbits and foxes and such and will be easy to code a fur tent since the code for tents is made just make it craftable and be packable so lets hear it

while I'd like some other materials for tents and better traps I just don't like the concept of traps being 1 shot kills as it just creates way to much havok

Okay, what about modifying the 'traps' idea. Ignore the existing traps mechanic and add 'snares'.

Snares would completely ignore anything currently in-game. But they could catch 'invisible' wildlife such as rabbits, hares, squirrels, ducks, doves or grouse. These animals wouldn't need any AI or movement animations, as you'd only see them when they get snared:- pinned to a tile. Walk up to them and scare them to death like a hen, and butcher the corpse for meat, and a skin (to distinguish from existing fur, pelt and hide mechanics) or pile of feathers.

What type of animal you catch could be dependant on snare type, tile type and surrounding tiles as a percentage chance.

Fish traps and lobster pots could work on the same 'snare' mechanic, in shallow or deep water, but instead of scaring them to death you would pick up or haul in your container and empty it of your catch. Kelp or reed tiles might introduce an interesting variable to your catch.