Sign in to follow this  
Aelfred

Mining Slowly Downwards

mining out my cave actually and there is a trend to getting deeper and deeper when im mine_forward. since im close to waterlevel i often get into the water and have to dig up then and lower the area, to stay above the water.

My question is, am i doing wrong something or can i do something to avoid this slowly gettin-deeper ?

I've noticed this in the past... from my programming experiences I'll take a stab and guess that the random change in height is generated something like this:

Random rng = new Random();

int heightChange = rng.nextInt(8)-4;

Which would generate a number between 0 and 7 inclusive, then subtract four. This would give random numbers in the range -4 to 3, which is biased towards the negative, causing the cave floor to slope down slightly. Of course this is all speculation and there may well be a very different, maybe intentional, reason for it...

Edited by Jonneh

yeah mining is slightly random. Mining up and then carefully flattening the floor is the only way to make sure it stays completely flat.

ok thanks. well its not that worse that its not flat but the water-walk sound is bit strange in the cave heh

Yeah, it is slightly annoying. Especially when you're trying to place lamps when there's that thin layer of water... :angry:

It's not just you.

Also, I've noticed that the mine_down and mine_up are not equal. I mined down a long hallway and then mined up again the same length in parallel and was over 20 slope different when I hit the top level of my mine.

Reason #312 why I wish we were be able to raise mine floors.

Edited by belthize

I'd like to just be able to see the slope of mine floors, even. Perhaps another use for prospecting?

As for another guess at the reason from another programmer, perhaps it's a truncation instead of rounding issue with ints?

I've posted suggestions for this to be removed and I believe others have too, it's not noticable in small mines but in long tunnels it's very obvious especially when 2 parallel tunnels meet and one is 10-15 slope higher.

In long tunnels it's very noticeable, particularly when it gets bad enough to drown carts so you cant drive them through that area x)

Actually, the flatness of your mine floors, and consistency of the up/down slope depends a lot on your mining skill. At over 70 mining, my floors are usually flat, and newer villagers have irregular floors.

Nice, that is a start to making this feature a good one. But it still is pretty horrible, because there is no good way to correct these mistakes beside loads of expensive shaker orbs or the help of a mag priest.

Here's one of the older threads:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/61535-why-do-mine-forward-actions-need-to-create-random-slopes/

Actually, the flatness of your mine floors, and consistency of the up/down slope depends a lot on your mining skill. At over 70 mining, my floors are usually flat, and newer villagers have irregular floors.

I don't find this to be the case at all.

Edited by Depends