Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marvose

UI - "Pinned" containers open when near

Summary: "pin" containers by way of a window button, as demonstrated below, so that they automatically open when you're close enough to access them.

pinmock.gif

A mockup of the suggested UI element toggling on and off

Example:

• Marvose pins his oven and, across the room, his barrel of cooked food.
  • Marvose cooks some delicious stew, takes his pans, and walks over to the barrel to deposit their contents.
  • The pinned oven window dims to indicate he's out of its range. When he reaches the barrel, its window un-dims and he deposits the food.
  • Walking back to the oven, the same process of dimming and un-dimming repeats, only in reverse ;)
  • Marvose saves many hours of right-clicking and selecting "Open" over the course of a few weeks.
  • World peace?

Implementation considerations:

• There could be a limit on how many containers a player could have pinned at a time--say 2 to 5.
  • Containers would un-pin if the player moved a good distance away from them--say 10 tiles.
  • If dynamic dimming of windows isn't possible, they could roll up, or just have some text added to the window title: "small pinewood cart (out of range)"
  • Closing a window would also un-pin it. They could be closed whether in or out of range.

I don't expect this to be high on anyone's priority list, but it'd be a nice streamlining feature to save a lot of pointless right-clicks when going about your Wurm work :)

I release all of my rights to the little pushpin graphic in the unlikely event anyone wants to use it.

This would be a very good addition to the game for crafters etc. I hate having to completely reopen and resort my forge just because I need an item in that chest just barely out of reach.

+1 wouldve made it really easy the passed few days using a large cart ;)

Very good idea.  I am growing to hate my large cart at times, when I seem to always need to be just that half a step to far away from it.

I've thought about this beign useful sometimes, you got my support.

This is a really nice idea but it could cause a lot of strain on the server.  Every time there's a move update from a player the server is going to have to do distance calculations and keep yet another mapping of items to players.  A given item could be pinned by a lot of people and a given person could pin a lot of items.  

Obviously the actual devs know the score but I could see this really hammering it especially since distances don't seem to be tile based but real distance (or is that my imagination).

Edit:  I just re-reread your suggestion.  The unpinning if too far and unpin if closed are actually pretty effective measures.  It won't be as bad as I first thought.   The number of active players with pinned objects is probably not that high.

Edit some more:  In game just now it occurred to me it's really no more load than the server figuring out whether to open a door.  Sometimes that's a bit laggy but all in all not bad so pfft on most everything I wrote above.

Edit some more:  In game just now it occurred to me it's really no more load than the server figuring out whether to open a door.  Sometimes that's a bit laggy but all in all not bad so pfft on most everything I wrote above.

Packet loss or slowdown between your computer and the server does not server strain make.

The server wouldn't even have to be doing these calculations.

The client knows where it is, and it knows where the cart is.

It can do a simple check to determine whether you're in range of that cart or not.

Awesome idea +1. Would make shuffling dirt around from several piles so much easier.

This is a really nice idea but it could cause a lot of strain on the server.  Every time there's a move update from a player the server is going to have to do distance calculations and keep yet another mapping of items to players.  A given item could be pinned by a lot of people and a given person could pin a lot of items.  

Obviously the actual devs know the score but I could see this really hammering it especially since distances don't seem to be tile based but real distance (or is that my imagination).

Edit:  I just re-reread your suggestion.  The unpinning if too far and unpin if closed are actually pretty effective measures.  It won't be as bad as I first thought.   The number of active players with pinned objects is probably not that high.

Yeah, you pretty much got the idea in the end. The emphasis would definitely be on pinning for isolated, local tasks, rather than pinning everything on your deed and having it all automagically pop open when you come back from your world travels.

Yeah, you pretty much got the idea in the end. The emphasis would definitely be on pinning for isolated, local tasks, rather than pinning everything on your deed and having it all automagically pop open when you come back from your world travels.

Not sure there's really a problem with pinning everything on your deed.  I set up storage areas in my house, so if I go into that area, I'm most likely going to open most of the containers anyway.  Kind of like doors, if I approach the door, you can assume I want to open it.  I wouldn't recomment auto pinning everything, as that would get tiring real quick.  Anything which reduces the number of right-click+search for the option is good :D (can you keybind open).

But being able to pin even 1 container at a time would be helpful, 2 is probably sufficient, so I can shuffle back and forth between my large cart and bulk storage bin.