Posted (edited)

Closed

Edited by Simyaci
  • Like 4

this bus idea has merit , and adds movement to game

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 10:56 AM, Simyaci said:

An NPC driven large cart that travels the whole server using the highways. There would be several of them. They are like wagoneers but they carry people instead of bulk items. 

A newbie is given 3 free undroppable untradable tickets at character creation to take a free ride on that large cart. 

The character becomes invulnerable while it is a passenger on the noobwagen. 

The name is just for memes, not a name suggestion for the vehicle. 

Everyone else can also ride on the noobwagen by buying tickets from the silver shop or the marks shop (or both), which would be significantly expensive. 

The ticket has a 3h duration and that duration is only used up when the person is on the noobwagen. 

The player can embark and disembark at anytime but the invulnerability only works as passenger of the noobwagen.

The player can't interact with anything in any way other than looking around and chatting while sitting as a passenger on the noobwagen.

The primary purpose of this feature is to allow new players to easily and safely travel within the game to observe the game and the server they started, and meet and chat with people along the way. 

Unlike wagoneers, they shouldn't spam the local chat saying strange things. 

why would i use this when players summon people for free?

2 minutes ago, Camelrider said:

because its cool? game lacks immersion remove summoning and add wagon trains

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Camelrider said:

It is primarily for newbies to have an easy and quick way to go sightseeing and see what people are doing or what they have built without dying to the first hell hound after the first 300 tiles.

It is called noobwagen, not vetwagen.

It is not specifically designed for people who have priests and friends with priests with high faith all around the game that would summon them.

It is specifically for newbies while it is also a benefit to everyone else.

Most people only have access to priest summons while large events such as public slayings or rifts are going on. 

I believe it would help player retention significantly.

Note: I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever implement it on the PvP servers so PvP players have nothing to worry about. 

Edited by Simyaci
  • Like 4

Cool idea. Would definitely help with player retention, and would make the world feel more alive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Simyaci said:

It is primarily for newbies to have an easy and quick way to go sightseeing and see what people are doing or what they have built without dying to the first hell hound after the first 300 tiles.

It is called noobwagen, not vetwagen.

It is not specifically designed for people who have priests and friends with priests with high faith all around the game that would summon them.

It is specifically for newbies while it is also a benefit to everyone else.

Most people only have access to priest summons while large events such as public slayings or rifts are going on. 

I believe it would help player retention significantly.

Note: I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever implement it on the PvP servers so PvP players have nothing to worry about. 

no i think you misunderstand my ask, i'm not saying it's not cool or helpful or anything along those lines.

i'm saying, why would I as a new player opt to use this wagon that potentially has a cost of silver when there are dozens of people that openly offer to summon you to any event, their deeds upon request, etc? You don't need to be a veteran to type in chat.

Posted (edited)

First of all, a new player doesn't have access to 100 summoner priests from the start to zap around the server. He could meet 1 or 2 within his first month or two coincidentally. 

It is not about summoning priests, or being teleported to a specific location, but about having a tour of the game and see what it has to offer, what people are doing etc.

The newbies are going to get 3 free tickets which can't be dropped or traded as I've mentioned above.

Once again, it is not about getting them to an event. 

It is not about getting to a specific deed either. If the newbie joined a village, he already gets 1 free teleport. So it is not about that. 

It is all about having an automated form of transportation which will benefit newbies the most, giving them a free tour. 

Since there will be more than 1 passenger seat on the automated large cart, there will also be more than 1 person as a passenger.

This can lead to interesting conversations and meeting new people. 

There are a lot of benefits to it.

I don't think the existence of summoning priests that teleport you to a specific location with point blank accuracy is a good arguement against it. 

I am not arguing for removing priest summon either, I haven't said anything about it on this topic. 

They are not mutually exclusive. 

They barely have anything in common. 

Edited by Simyaci
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Simyaci said:

First of all, a new player doesn't have access to 100 summoner priests from the start to zap around the server. He could meet 1 or 2 within his first month or two coincidentally. 

Within five minutes of logging in, I already witnessed two different people in GL-F offering summons and that was within the past hour alone.

It is not about summoning priests, or being teleported to a specific location, but about having a tour of the game and see what it has to offer, what people are doing etc.

Ok, fair.

The newbies are going to get 3 free tickets which can't be dropped or traded as I've mentioned above.

Once again, it is not about getting them to an event. 

It is not about getting to a specific deed either. If the newbie joined a village, he already gets 1 free teleport. So it is not about that. 

It is all about having an automated form of transportation which will benefit newbies the most, giving them a free tour. 

Since there will be more than 1 passenger seat on the automated large cart, there will also be more than 1 person as a passenger.

Okay, except earlier you were talking about paying for it. So it's just a way for new players to get around the map that can't ride on a cart or a horse that would be far more constrained than the alternative, much slower than the alternative, and require another developer implementation?

There are a lot of benefits to it.

I don't think the existence of summoning priests that teleport you to a specific location with point blank accuracy is a good arguement against it. 

I am not arguing for removing priest summon either, I haven't said anything about it on this topic. 

I think it's a perfect argument against it, there is virtually no reason to use this unless you are so new that you don't even understand how to access the global chat. Even still, the second you can ride a cart you aren't going to want to use this anyway.

Developer implementation goes to a lot of things and usually not into player retention.

PvP also hasn't been getting a lot of attention but that's not new and the reason certainly hasn't been new player focused development.

PvP is not going to be the main focus with or without player retention being one of the priorities. 

New roadmap gives signals that new player experience and player retention is going to be one of the priorities.

That's why I think these kinds of suggestions have a chance of being implemented.

PvE is the main artery of Wurm Online and it still needs to be improved. 

This suggestion has nothing to do with teleportation or any other form of instant relocation. 

So, the existence of priest summon doesn't make up for its absence. 

This suggestion is about the journey, not the destination.

17 hours ago, Camelrider said:

Without getting into why teleportation is bad for the game and bad for immersion:

Summons require a summoner at the destination. A highway-based taxi system would allow you to be transported to a destination that does not have a priest present. 

I disagree with OP's implementation, I personally think that you should be able to pay a wagoner to take you from one highway waypoint to another, with no on-off privileges, with cost scaling based on distance, and with the price being very reasonable (particularly considering that it's kinda slow, you wouldn't be able to bring animals with you, and that you actually WANT people to use the system). But we're both on the same page with wanting wagoners to be able to transport players using the highway network.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Camelrider said:

I think it's a perfect argument against it, there is virtually no reason to use this unless you are so new that you don't even understand how to access the global chat. Even still, the second you can ride a cart you aren't going to want to use this anyway.

Want to travel over to visit a friend's deed, but you'd rather pay a few copper rather than make the 20 minute trip yourself, leaving you free to chat? That's a reason

Want to go somewhere that doesn't have a free-priest available and closeby? That's a reason
Want to make a trip while you're doing something else so you dont have to pay full attention? That's a reason
Want to go pick up a boat or cart or wagon from somewhere and dont want to have to leave your current one behind there? That's a reason

But sure, there's virtually no reason to use this if you never want to travel anywhere and want to hide on your deed all day, I'll give you that point. 

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 1

I really want to like the idea, but I do not.

Wurm is not a walk in the park.

There is other ways to make the NPE better, and like someone pointed out, fixing some 100 years old bugs should be a priority.

For 20 years now I believe there is 2 ways to play Wurm, The hard way, and the not too hard way.

I tried the hard way first, so walked outside Newtown, and a croc got me, then a wolf, then a bear, then 2 crocs, even a bull told me: No Italian Beef for you today.

The other is joining a village.

But the most important thing, IMO, is that you never forget, and that you always Cherish your first week, month in Wurm.

I certainly never will forget, or stop lauging about it.

Also FYI, I did not understand a single English word. So I had to learn with a 2007 internet translator.

Wurm is not going to attract masses, no matter what. 
Graphics kill it for 95%? 99%? Of today gamers. dumbing it down wont make them stay.

More options for travel. I'm down. Hope this is considered at least.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, topkos said:

I really want to like the idea, but I do not.

Wurm is not a walk in the park.

There is other ways to make the NPE better, and like someone pointed out, fixing some 100 years old bugs should be a priority.

For 20 years now I believe there is 2 ways to play Wurm, The hard way, and the not too hard way.

I tried the hard way first, so walked outside Newtown, and a croc got me, then a wolf, then a bear, then 2 crocs, even a bull told me: No Italian Beef for you today.

The other is joining a village.

But the most important thing, IMO, is that you never forget, and that you always Cherish your first week, month in Wurm.

I certainly never will forget, or stop lauging about it.

Also FYI, I did not understand a single English word. So I had to learn with a 2007 internet translator.

Wurm is not going to attract masses, no matter what. 
Graphics kill it for 95%? 99%? Of today gamers. dumbing it down wont make them stay.

Wurm has teleportation, how exactly is paying an npc to slowly taxi you on player-built infrastructure 'a walk in the park' or dumbing it down? This doesn't make sense to me. Heck, brand new players even get a free one time instant teleport when they join a deed, and if they do some missions, they can teleport with karma. A taxi system is more immersive, it's not a simple easy teleport, and it promotes developing infrastructure. 

If you want wurm to be easymode, if you want a walk in the park, if you want it dumbed down: Use summon soul

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Arronicus said:

Wurm has teleportation, how exactly is paying an npc to slowly taxi you on player-built infrastructure 'a walk in the park' or dumbing it down? This doesn't make sense to me. Heck, brand new players even get a free one time instant teleport when they join a deed, and if they do some missions, they can teleport with karma. A taxi system is more immersive, it's not a simple easy teleport, and it promotes developing infrastructure. 

If you want wurm to be easymode, if you want a walk in the park, if you want it dumbed down: Use summon soul

Things that Newbies have now, and we did not.

24 hours light

24 hours food bonus

food in inventory

24 hours aggro creatures range.

2 months at the price of one.

2 months and 5 silver at a great discounted price.

Canoes to build right away and go happily sailing

how did that work for player retention? And new players attraction.

You need to show results to keep doing their life easier, and the results are simply not there.

If those existed in Wurm's better days, there would be more player retention.

Wurm started to die after Wurm Unlimited got released and has been slowly dying ever since with a little bump here and there with new cluster and such. 

It is not fair to make comparisons between now and its peak. 

All those things you listed are net positives and wouldn't have turned away any player who decided to stick around back then if they were available at that time. 

Let's be honest about this. Wurm is only difficult for a very short time in the beginning and then becomes super easy. Vets have it easy, new players have it hard. 

A lot of new players quit because of confusion and lack of direction. 

Wurm is an extremely easy game for an experienced player and simply drowning the new players in confusion, lack of direction and lack of basic utility won't make the game any harder than it is for anyone else but for the person who just logged in for the first time. That doesn't make the game harder for the great majority of the playerbase and doesn't make it any harder for you , unless you are able to reset your memory and start playing the game from your first day over and over again.

This suggestion only works when it is a slow vehicle that you can just run up to and hop on from anywhere. It is worse than afk driving on your hunt/travel wagon, worse than your boat at slow wind speed, worse than one milisecond teleport from one edge of the server to the other.

It doesn't make the game any easier than it already is. It provides a new utility that is not already there, but new utility doesn't equal to easier game. It just means more options. 

I've already mentioned how it would enrich the new player experience and also the social interaction in this game. 

So far, disagreements to it have been from a point of strawmanning the suggestion and this leads me to believe that this utility would be a net positive to the game. 

1 hour ago, topkos said:

Things that Newbies have now, and we did not.

24 hours light

24 hours food bonus

food in inventory

24 hours aggro creatures range.

2 months at the price of one.

2 months and 5 silver at a great discounted price.

Canoes to build right away and go happily sailing

how did that work for player retention? And new players attraction.

You need to show results to keep doing their life easier, and the results are simply not there.

Things Newbies have now, and we did not.
A decently filled-out wiki
A useful tutorial
A crafting window
Information from older players that isn't full of myth and inaccurate info

Donkeys, and rideable cows at 20 (.1?) ML

The ability to buy silver shop items from the website instead of having to go to a trader
NPC priests in starter towns
Bridges to walk over water between zones
how did that work for player retention? And new players attraction?

sounds like the privy want no opposition to summons , i want loop buses on every server u better have lots of chairs it will be popular

• Like 1

oh and hitch at back if u want take horse 1 per person , so u can get off at anywere or god forbid the rift , bus could stop at stops around the place for 30 secs as they do

This or similar suggestion mas proposed several times in the past, +1.

I don't see how such a possibility is in anyway hindering summoning. It would allow younger players to see more of the server with low risk but not completely riskless.

• Like 1

The name alt-wagon is more appropriate

19 minutes ago, Darnok said:

The name alt-wagon is more appropriate

Because there aren't any massive golden dragons with laser cannons that destroy deeds randomly creating marble veins out of them while carrying passengers going around the server? 

• Like 2

I really like this idea. It could help new player find a place to start their deed as well. Flocking out over the server.
I really fell in love with this game when a friend of mine took me on a boat trip around Deli at night and I saw all the beautiful deeds people had created. 

Not sure if you should make them super expensive for other players. It can have it's use still especially on large servers. Or just be used for fun. Perhaps tickets to prem players sometimes instead of yellow potion.

Make a boat tour as well :D

• Like 1