Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Natural terrain suggestions

Posted (edited)

A little inspiration for new maps and a reminder of what natural terrain is in some parts of world.
It's a pity that we don't have rivers or rocks of different colors. Grapes come in different colors, so maybe a similar mechanism for rock tiles?
Rivers stretching across half or 1/3 of map and connecting some lakes could probably replace canals.

Chicxulub crater

crater-gettyimages-1055491914.webp?fit=1

bigstock-studlagil-basalt-canyon-icela-3

MDU0MC5KUEc.jpg

img_3721.jpg?w=980&ssl=1

%D0%9F%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%BE_%D0%9C%D0

64d15abd93b0fe9452bc762d76491e3b_origina

morskie-oko-gory-podroze.jpg

17080327630_c29893399f_o.jpg

6276b42e864d7f1ae17de584_2.jpg

jpeg&disposition=inline;%2Bfilename=%22g

TELEMMGLPICT000331957934_trans_NvBQzQNjv

lake-Manicouagan.jpg

The-Nile-and-its-major-tributaries-and-i

e0bb34bb3af025f9abe5d6cd259f97ad.jpg

Nile_Delta_Egypt_pillars.jpg

Edited by Darnok

Posted (edited)

Rivers would be a nightmare to implement into this game. Resources are far better allocated elsewhere, primarily working on player retention by merging NFI and SFI and expanding the tutorial.

It doesn't matter how many new features get implemented if there's no one there to enjoy them.

Edited by Kinganon
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kinganon said:

Rivers would be a nightmare to implement into this game. Resources are far better allocated elsewhere, primarily working on player retention by merging NFI and SFI and expanding the tutorial.

It doesn't matter how many new features get implemented if there's no one there to enjoy them.

I don't know what this merge will look like, but it wouldn't encourage me to play if characters who are several years old start running around Cad.

As for rivers, the easiest way would be just natural terrain simulating rivers.

More complex solution there could be a "water source" tile similar to a metal vein that would emit water.
It can be destroyed with a shaker orb or created with a water orb (also from the store).

Amount of water emitted would be infinite, but rate at which it happens would not be apocalyptic.
Placing several water sources on same tile would increase their water generation rate.

Water would flow as it would in real life, one-time calculating optimal path to sea level and covering lowest tiles on this path with water.
Calculating height of slope from highest mountain to sea level takes several dozen numbers, a one-time calculation would not overload server.

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

I don't know what this merge will look like, but it wouldn't encourage me to play if characters who are several years old start running around Cad.

Cad is several years old now.

I think the implementation of an erosion process, to slowly restore terraformed areas to their original condition or at least to a more natural state would be a better use of resources (though I admittedly have no knowledge of how difficult this would be to implement, if even feasible at all).  So many fallen deeds that have left their mark on the landscape and much of it is not pleasant to look at or navigate through/around.  I think it can dissuade a new player from continuing to explore and play wurm.  When I first started, I almost did not continue past my first weekend after seeing so much devastated landscape.

1 hour ago, Nomadikhan said:

Cad is several years old now.

This is true and on NFI there is no point in starting the game with a new character and if even older characters were to join, there is no point in playing at all.
Besides, old players have their characters on NFI anyway, so I don't understand what point of such a merge would be. It's better to add 2 new maps, one for NFI and one for SFI.
Allowing existing characters to use them freely just like you can now swim Har-Mel-Cad.
This way, new players would also come to both NFI and SFI.

44 minutes ago, Thalorane said:

I think the implementation of an erosion process, to slowly restore terraformed areas to their original condition or at least to a more natural state would be a better use of resources (though I admittedly have no knowledge of how difficult this would be to implement, if even feasible at all).  So many fallen deeds that have left their mark on the landscape and much of it is not pleasant to look at or navigate through/around.  I think it can dissuade a new player from continuing to explore and play wurm.  When I first started, I almost did not continue past my first weekend after seeing so much devastated landscape.

I suggested erosion some time ago, but what I'm talking about here is what structures/combinations of tiles are not found in Wurm, but could be found, because nature creates such wonders.

56 minutes ago, Thalorane said:

The top soil can be re-naturalized with some work, dirt and sand. The underground veins are lost forever unless you consider spending a few transmutation rods. Even strongwalling makes no sense, since you  only get rock. Imho they should speed up cave ins,  rise the chance a cave in creates a new vein (with more variance), make support beams off deed affected by ( very slow) decay and allow nature take care of itself.

That would be really cool to have different colour rocks and rivers. 

Maybe if it was on a brand new map like a explorers map or something and then users don't need to worry about their landscapes getting messed up on their current home servers.

43 minutes ago, Zexos said:

That would be really cool to have different colour rocks and rivers. 

Maybe if it was on a brand new map like a explorers map or something and then users don't need to worry about their landscapes getting messed up on their current home servers.

Temporary Ressource maps. Let people go there, harvest, dig, mine, hunt and bring the stuff home. Allow people to get the dirt etc. they want without messing an area up forever. Every 6 month or year reset the server.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darnok said:

8 hours ago, Kinganon said:

Well, your account in the forums is 4 years old. 
Imagine, just imagine, if you would have been playing the game these last 4 years!!

You would be one of the Cadence top players, super settled, and with all the resources at your reach!

But you didn’t.

Just imagine if all the energy used to troll the forums , would been used to be a productive player!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, topkos said:

Well, your account in the forums is 4 years old. 
Imagine, just imagine, if you would have been playing the game these last 4 years!!

You would be one of the Cadence top players, super settled, and with all the resources at your reach!

But you didn’t.

Just imagine if all the energy used to troll the forums , would been used to be a productive player!

There are certain behaviors that I do not accept in games. I understand that in real life, when it comes to money or career, people can smile on one hand and plot against their co-worker on other, but in game?
On one hand, someone is nice, but on other hand, when you are offline, he harms you or he is using alts to make harm.
After all, such behavior does not make anyone smarter, but simply evil, greedy and jealous, just because someone in game has found a better location than him.
It seems to me that I am not only one who has a limited tolerance for such behavior in games, I have yet to meet a community that is so greedy that they take away dirt and sand, often close to other players deeds.
Maybe some cheap item from store could generate a sand pyramid for such players?
Or sand/dirt meteors that fall on uninhabited areas (right after rift?) or volcanic islands or any other islands that appear from time to time and allow for unlimited plunder of any resources.

TLDR: Darnok just admitted he is trolling forums just because someone mined his offdeed marble vein (if i remember correctly. Might be some other vein too.)

-1 to all. Rivers. or water tables a different levels, would completely break Wurm's basic architecture, and be close to impossible to implement.

Btw., I never had troubles to find resources, "worst case" had to roam out a bit. New servers only because of some players too lazy to roam out and prospect is a no brainer. A rod of transmutation for some marks or silvers could do it too.

• Like 1